NFL: Matthew Stafford requests trade

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh, I agree. That's what I speculated on a Lions message board that I frequent where some fans are expecting crazy returns like two 1sts or, as somebody posted last night, from the WFT #19, Jonathan Allen+2nd rounder. That's crazy, just like those in this thread who think he won't even return a 1st.

I think a 1st+3rd from one of the teams in the latter half of the 1st round is most realistic. If it's San Francisco, perhaps 12th overall straight up or a mid to late rounder attached. If it's Indy, maybe #21+#85.
Probably split the picks between 2 drafts. Easier to swallow giving up a first if you have your second and third and then next season you still have a first and second but no third.

As for Stafford his cap hit is pretty good for someone his caliber. It’s not as high as Jimmy G unless he re works his contract for example. Which is unlikely unless he is given more guaranteed money to being the cap hit down.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t think this stafford thing will drag out. I would be surprised if he wasn’t moved by say Feb 20 in principle. Cause the league year doesn’t officially begin until Mid March.

think enough teams want him and would like to make their best pitch to get him ASAP before another team steps up with another offer.

plus I think Detroit narrows their scope a bit based on where stafford would like to go. Barring players being involved the picks should be fairly close to each other unless Denver or SF use their first this season which is a significant jump between what Indy, Chi, WFT could give unless those teams give an extra pick.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
My gut feeling is he goes to SF and then they unload Jimmy G to New England

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone trading for Goff, not only have to match the value but also the Rams taking the dead cap

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My gut feeling is he goes to SF and then they unload Jimmy G to New England
Think it’s between Indy and SF. Indy I feel are willing to part with their first at 21 and what else is needed to get the deal done. SF probably looking harder at their 12 OA pick and cringing a bit more about it.

Detroit likely prefers to send him to Indy in the AFC.
I wouldn’t rule out LV. Pay the first and so to get Stafford and look to unload Carr to say Washington for a second.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Think it’s between Indy and SF. Indy I feel are willing to part with their first at 21 and what else is needed to get the deal done. SF probably looking harder at their 12 OA pick and cringing a bit more about it.

Detroit likely prefers to send him to Indy in the AFC.
I wouldn’t rule out LV. Pay the first and so to get Stafford and look to unload Carr to say Washington for a second.

Stafford is gonna be retired and dead of old age before Lions are ready to compete, I dont think they should care where they send him

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Lions are the textbook examples of QBs not being everything. Stafford, for all intents and purposes, was a franchise QB and very little changed in Detroit. Same with Ryan in Atlanta although they should have won a Super Bowl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad