Player Discussion Matthew Poitras II

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Shame for the kid, and you never want to see anyone get injured, but perhaps in one sense this is not the worst outcome. He was starting to struggle with the grind, and this way there doesn't have to be any umming and ahhing about whether to keep playing him and potentially risk burning him out even more. With the surgery it's just settled and he can focus on recovery and hopefully in time on building up his strength and endurance. Realistically I don't think he was going to be a part of the Bruins' playoff roster, or at least not a major one, so no real loss on that front, indeed it frees up a tiny bit of cap space.

Despite this unfortunate end, this has still been a huge year for Matt. Made the cut when no-one expected it, acquitted himself very well, got some valuable experience at the top level, gave the fans and management some hope that our future at center doesn't entirely lie outside the organization. He'll be better for all that in the long run. All the best to him in his recovery, look forward to seeing #51 back on the ice next season!

Last edited:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Does anyone know if he will be able to play in Providence when he recovers? I know there are age limits and that is why he couldn't be sent there to play. I think that also hurt him in the long run, without the option to play in the AHL at times.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Does anyone know if he will be able to play in Providence when he recovers? I know there are age limits and that is why he couldn't be sent there to play. I think that also hurt him in the long run, without the option to play in the AHL at times.
If Guelphs season is over he can rehab in Providence

Reactions: BMC and caz16

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Tough break for Poitras. His rookie year was about what I thought it would be. There would be some flashes and some growing pains, but overall I think it was a success for his development. From a production standpoint he was playing at a 13G/25A pace. That's a fringe 40pt season for a 19yr old in his rookie season, which I don't think anyone would be disappointed with.

Next year you hope to see him take the next step and I'm confident that he will.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
He won’t be playing anywhere till next season,pretty sure he would be able to play there next season.

Reactions: caz16

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Has he suited up for a game since returning from the WJC? Was he injured at the tournament?

He had two assists his first game back and then went cold. The injury seems to have come in the Arizona game when he tried to hit Sean Durzi. He seemed off after that and they shut him down a few games later.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I think the Bruins made all of the right calls with Poitras. He was good enough in preseason to earn a tryout and he was one of our better forwards through 9 games at a position that we needed. Bottom line, he was a player that was helping the team win games so we kept him. He tailed off during the grind of the season, but he still managed 15 points in 33 games which is very good.

Shutting him down is also the right call. Geekie has progressed to the point where he is a better option at 3C than Poitras, even if he were healthy. Let's get the kid healthy for summer so he can be 100% and fully trained coming into camp next year.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Gives him some time to watch from upstairs, also get the feel for playoff hockey and preparation in locker room etc. If he can add 10 lbs of muscle in the offseason it’ll only help him going forward. Exciting young prospect

Reactions: GordonHowe

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
If the shoulder heals totally, this could be good for the long term. He is going to have to do a lot of rehabbing in the next 5 months, which gives him time and opportunity to put some badly needed muscle on his frame to prevent this from happening again.

Reactions: BMC and GordonHowe

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Back when the NHL was a lot more exciting to watch, at least for me.
I'll take the modern game with the highest scoring the league's seen since I was a toddler over the low scoring, trap heavy league of the 2000s/early 20-teens, but to each their own.

It was great to have Chara out there, but I feel like so many people here treat "lack of response" as a Bruins-only problem when the reality is the entire league has moved away from that kind of play. There's only a couple teams left that have a guy that will enforce on the roster, and if the team is competitive that guy is in the press box most nights.

Reactions: RoccoF14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad