Player Discussion Matthew Poitras II

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
He also set-up a ton of scoring chances that nobody could ever convert. He certainly had his problems but he was the best passer on the team and it wasn’t even close. Letang should have had Poitras playing with Celebrini, rather than Minten, who was really useless, for more than the 5 minutes he did. But yes, hopefully he learns from it and grows.
He made his mistakes but that was very true. Even though the general consensus is that he played subpar (and his setups weren't converted) he was still around a point a game.
To look at it positively, a teen playing subpar and still being around a point/game is not too bad.
The tourney is over, so now all that can be done is see how he reacts to it.

Reactions: BTO

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I thought he played very well in the Czech game, making plays all over the ice. It's too bad his team lost because he was really beginning to get his sea legs after a sluggish start earlier in the tournament..

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Unfortunate result for the team but hope he had fun and was able to use it as a mental reset of sorts. He’s played well and there’s reason to be excited but I imagine it must be taxing being so young and with the city foaming at the mouth for a top 6 C.

Will be peaks and valleys for quite a bit with him but lots to be excited about. Right back to work.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I'm assuming he has a couple games off before being in the Bruins lineup?

He must be happy coming back knowing the Bruins are on a 4 game regulation win streak.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
HEI/ZAC/PAS
MAR/POI/GEE
van/FRE/STE
MER/COY/DeB

would spread out the forward talent with two centers on each line, strong and deep, rolling four lines toward two points. the top-line Geekie thing has to end at Poitras' return -- feel free to switch Geekie and Steen in my proposal.
A3B6FC59-97FE-41FF-896B-4CD4833C4041.gif

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Good game from the kid, was glad to see Monty willing to put him in higher risk situations, end of 1st he was out there with Marchand, and played later into the third.

I guess it’s easier when you can put him on the wing, and had a pretty good cushion late in the 3rd.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Monty's got him on a tight leash... his confidence seems shot,
. It seems after 15s on ice he's looking towards the bench to get off, I also dont like him in a 4th line role.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
. It seems after 15s on ice he's looking towards the bench to get off, I also dont like him in a 4th line role.
Kind of like how Merck looked when he was up here. At least initially just so afraid to make a defensive mistake.

bodacious

Oct 3, 2019
Poitras has hit the rookie wall. Early in the season when the intensity level was low, he had more time and space to make plays. Now that time and space is gone and he doesn't have the wheels to separate himself from the checkers. It's a learning experience and he will be better with some additional strength.

And the way the 3rd line is playing, there is no room for him there. So it's the 4th line or press box.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He's got one shot on goal in the last 5 games since returning to the club, but it's all about development for him. NHL is better than juniors if he's getting ice and learning from and against the best in the world.

The way the team is constructed right now there is no 4th line. Heinen Boqvist Poitras aint a traditional 4th line. They are expected to make plays out there.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Poitras has hit the rookie wall. Early in the season when the intensity level was low, he had more time and space to make plays. Now that time and space is gone and he doesn't have the wheels to separate himself from the checkers. It's a learning experience and he will be better with some additional strength.

And the way the 3rd line is playing, there is no room for him there. So it's the 4th line or press box.
I agree with most of this, just not convinced its the "rookie wall. Playmakers and point producers like Poitras have spent their entire life doing just that, and now its not happening. He's frustrated. The look on his face says it all.
Its so much easier for a grinder to come up and bang than a young skilled player to produce. In my opinion its a confidence thing and the more he gets re-adjusted in the lineup the more it messes with his head. I'm not saying they are making the wrong moves, its just the way it is since they can't send him down (which they would have at least for a few games by now).
Long term he'll be fine but short term he has to deal with situation as it is and find a way to stay relevant.

neelysbiggestfan

Jul 9, 2004
He is a turnover machine at the moment. Seems to have lost all confidence. I have been to about 10 games this year and haven't been impressed at all. To be honest, I question his long term viability in the NHL. His footspeed is a major challenge.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Would prefer for him to hit the wall now while the team is winning. He looks frustrated, is making mistakes, and is on a short leash, but important for him to learn the lessons and how to fight back. He'll likely sit for a lot of big games (think Dougie in '13) but he's getting his reps in early.

He's a teenager. No one expects him to be perfect but the ideal situation for me is that he comes back with another hot streak or two this season, puts on some muscle in the summer, and you look for more consistency next season. Need to let him develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad