Prospect Info: Matthew Beniers (Round 1, 2 overall)

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Smart move for him and for the Kraken I believe. It can also be noted that he can make some money now while in college off his image. Not near what he would get by signing an NHL deal but something possibly.

Reactions: andys

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Smart move for him and for the Kraken I believe. It can also be noted that he can make some money now while in college off his image. Not near what he would get by signing an NHL deal but something possibly.
He will still get to burn the first year of his elc when he signs at the end of the wolverines season. Would be due for a new contract in 2024. Just no OS opportunities.

Reactions: brewski420

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He will still get to burn the first year of his elc when he signs at the end of the wolverines season. Would be due for a new contract in 2024. Just no OS opportunities.
If he signs his ELC. Makar played 2 years in college, Larkin only played one. Adam Fox played 3. Every player is different, Matt will sign when he thinks he's ready to play in the NHL.

One thing is common with college players, they all want to avoid playing in the AHL if possible.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If he signs his ELC. Makar played 2 years in college, Larkin only played one. Adam Fox played 3. Every player is different, Matt will sign when he thinks he's ready to play in the NHL.

One thing is common with college players, they all want to avoid playing in the AHL if possible.
I think Beniers (and Power/Johnson) are in a unique position for college players. This is going to be a loaded team which is easily the favorite to win the NCAA championship. If that does happen, I am not sure there is much of a reason for Beniers (or the other names mentioned) to return to college. I am fairly confident that if Beniers wins the title this year, he is not going back to college in 2022-23.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think Beniers (and Power/Johnson) are in a unique position for college players. This is going to be a loaded team which is easily the favorite to win the NCAA championship. If that does happen, I am not sure there is much of a reason for Beniers (or the other names mentioned) to return to college. I am fairly confident that if Beniers wins the title this year, he is not going back to college in 2022-23.

He's just losing $$ if he goes back for a 3rd year.

Reactions: violaswallet

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
That's what I always think, but then again there are football players that complete their degrees. Everybody's different.
Football players completing their degrees? You are kidding right? I can see the few but not many most can't read past a grade 5 level

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Football players completing their degrees? You are kidding right? I can see the few but not many most can't read past a grade 5 level
Just because they can't read doesn't mean they don't get a degree. Dexter Manley did, and he was completely illiterate.

I was thinking more along the lines of Andrew Luck since Stanford is my alma mater. He completed his degree, though he only played 3 seasons since he redshirted the first. He was projected to go #1OA the season before he graduated.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Just because they can't read doesn't mean they don't get a degree. Dexter Manley did, and he was completely illiterate.

I was thinking more along the lines of Andrew Luck since Stanford is my alma mater. He completed his degree, though he only played 3 seasons since he redshirted the first. He was projected to go #1OA the season before he graduated.
Its sad what Education has turned into even in Canada! Its not like kids get educated much any more...its what do you know and then pass them along

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Its sad what Education has turned into even in Canada! Its not like kids get educated much any more...its what do you know and then pass them along

Literally have no idea what you are saying. The kid wants to go back to college, what's the issue? He has time and so do the Kracken.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Literally have no idea what you are saying. The kid wants to go back to college, what's the issue? He has time and so do the Kracken.
In general kids are not Educated that's all I'm saying...the Beniers of the World are not the norm but the Exceptions...kids in the USA pay sports at the High school level to get noticed and at the college/University level to get drafted...there are precious few being actually educated...that's all I'm saying

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
2 games in and Beniers has been underwhelming from an offensive production standpoint. Just 1 point so far. Power has 5, Bordelau 4 and Johnson 3 through the 2 games played.

Does anyone watch Michigan games and can provide updates on how he has looked so far?

JelloPuddyPops

"Gotta support the team."
Oct 9, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Padding the stats on a PP with less than a minute left with a 3 goal lead. Good thing there's no fighting in college hockey.

Michigan beat #1 Minn St, so they'll probably be ranked #1 this week. No points for Beniers though.
What, is he not supposed to shoot on a power play? Yeah, just skate around and don’t try.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What, is he not supposed to shoot on a power play? Yeah, just skate around and don’t try.
Rarely do you see the top PP unit on the ice with a minute left and a 3 goal lead. That's on the coach. I would expect the players to try to score though, so it wasn't a knock on Beniers.

It's the same as college football, you don't run up the score with a minute left.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Rarely do you see the top PP unit on the ice with a minute left and a 3 goal lead. That's on the coach. I would expect the players to try to score though, so it wasn't a knock on Beniers.

It's the same as college football, you don't run up the score with a minute left.

Agree with the point being made. With rankings based on voting like in college running up the score is a little more common. Especially football it seems.

Cisse

Jun 25, 2016
Forssa
As I'm from Finland I have seen very little of Beniers but he seems much more offensive minded than Legwand was. I think Legwand has been underestimated in some posts here. He did produce a decent points considering he played two way game in a team that didn't have so much to offer in his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad