Prospect Info: Matthew Beniers (Round 1, 2 overall)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Great pick to start off a franchise. Beniers' attention to detail for a draftee is incredible. Consistently makes good decisions and has the puck moving the right way. Definitely a player you can build around.

My favourite move the Kraken have made so far.

Reactions: andys

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The article is also very dated. Who knows what his decision is post entry draft.
Given it's the first year of an expansion team ,another year to grow and mature won't ruin him. I doubt we make the playoffs. Seen teams ruin guys by rushing them.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
If he could be a Legwand type of player it is good for the team. Obviously we want him to be a big points producer, but if he doesn't achieve that potentiel, we could only dream of a Legwand type of career!
Better than Legwand I'll put big money on that

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Who were the Wolverines playing that night? That was some great PK and ragging of the puck by Beniers! As a side note isn't Beniers a French sounding last name or at least French looking cause the pronunciation has been butchered badly

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but Matty's apparently really into the sciences and specializing in Dermatology, which was a cool side fact. He started watching Dr. Pimple Popper and apparently was a fan :laugh:. He's pretty academically motivated so I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to school for another year or at least finished his degree alongside his pro career if he starts immediately with the Kraken next season.
Heard somewhere Beniers was in Pre-Med

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Beniers would forfeit the rest of his College eligibility if he signed a Pro contract
Ah, fair enough. I'm less clear on the college setup with the pros than I am with junior leagues. If the case is he loses eligibility, then yeah keep him there for now. Think he signs after the college season is over to join the team?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Ah, fair enough. I'm less clear on the college setup with the pros than I am with junior leagues. If the case is he loses eligibility, then yeah keep him there for now. Think he signs after the college season is over to join the team?
Michigan looks to win the NCAA championship and Beniers will be an integral part of that! I believe he will sign in 2022 after all is said and done with College/University hockey

Reactions: darrylsittler27

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It'll come down to this college for 1 more year and try to win an NCAA hockey title and one less UFA year or sign now and get 1 more UFA year where he makes several millions of dollars.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Michigan looks to win the NCAA championship and Beniers will be an integral part of that! I believe he will sign in 2022 after all is said and done with College/University hockey
True enough, even with my limited knowledge on the U.S. college system, looking at that team... wow, stacked. Hopefully they do win, there is no replacement for a guy developing a winning pedigree.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Good decision.

Another year at Michigan should help his development and he can sign with the Kraken after his NCAA season to play a couple of games in the NHL.
Can see young Beniers be the 3rd line centre at the outset and then within a couple of years be the 2nd line centre with the potential to move up to numero uno down the road

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Smart move his staying in college for a year. Few in that draft class are NHL ready and there is no reason to rush our sole blue chip asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad