Matt Tkachuk or Mitch Marner

Matt Tkachuk Mitch Marner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
In Marner's rookie season he was playing on a line where Tyler Bozak was his Centre.

In his second season he got moved onto a new line where Nazem Kadri was his Centre.

Plus in his first two seasons he never played same power play line with Matthews and obviously by default he could not play with Tavares at 5v5 or on the power play until his third year since he was still a member of the Islanders.
He is still overrated

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
terrible reasoning to bring up playoff performances when Marner has been much better there.

And i take Marner with contracts too.

Of course you do, just like the leafs are always the victims. Then again you tried to say nylander and MT are equal. If MT got to play with a better center like nylander does, the gap would be even further. I can't stand the little bastard (one of his suspensions was against my team) but I can still admit he is still a hell of a player, unlike leaf or oiler fans.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Would love to have Tkachuk on my 1st line as the 3rd option. But would Calgary fans flip him for Gaudreau?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Me saying that isnt downplaying Tkachuk. i just think he is closer to Nylander talent wise than Marner. Both had similar stat lines last year. While Marner was much more productive. And the trend continues this year.
Well to be fair 10 of Marners points have come from playing with Matthews this year. So realistically that could be cut in half if he didn’t have Matthews. So while he is out producing him it’s not as bad as it seems

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
No contracts who would you rather have on your team now and future.
This shouldn't be a thing. In a salary cap league contracts are a huge factor for any team. Marner is the better offensive player but is overpaid and isn't even close to Tkachuk defensively. Taking contracts into account I would rather have Tkachuk.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well to be fair 10 of Marners points have come from playing with Matthews this year. So realistically that could be cut in half if he didn’t have Matthews. So while he is out producing him it’s not as bad as it seems
What about the fact that among Marner's 15 assists so far this season, 13 of them have been the primary assist. Shouldn't he get credit for something like that because it's a huge factor when setting up whoever happens to score a goal for the Leafs.

As for 10 of Marner's points coming with Matthews obviously that's going to happen with them playing on the same 5v5 line and on the power play line, so I don't think any Leafs fans will apologize or feel bad when that happens. However among the 11 goals Matthews has scored this season Marner's had the primary assist on 6 of those goals and 1 of those goals he had the secondary assist. His only other secondary assist was on a goal scored by Hyman last Saturday against Vancouver which was their 3-0 goal from that game.

Mitch Marner 2020-21 Scoring Log | Hockey-Reference.com (hockey-reference.com)

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Of course you do, just like the leafs are always the victims. Then again you tried to say nylander and MT are equal. If MT got to play with a better center like nylander does, the gap would be even further. I can't stand the little bastard (one of his suspensions was against my team) but I can still admit he is still a hell of a player, unlike leaf or oiler fans.
never said they were equal. He is closer to Nylander to Marner talent wise. it isnt complicated.

Tkachuk and Nylander had similar statlines last year. Although i realize Tkachuk brings more to the table

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
This shouldn't be a thing. In a salary cap league contracts are a huge factor for any team. Marner is the better offensive player but is overpaid and isn't even close to Tkachuk defensively. Taking contracts into account I would rather have Tkachuk.
Marner makes more because he signed for double the term. And realy, then you havea discusion of what you do with that extra 3-4 million, and how much Matthew will cost on his next deal, which expires at end of next season.
It's not a bad thin g having one of the elite young players locked up for 6 years.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
What about the fact that among Marner's 15 assists so far this season, 13 of them have been the primary assist. Shouldn't he get credit for something like that because it's a huge factor when setting up whoever happens to score a goal for the Leafs.

As for 10 of Marner's points coming with Matthews obviously that's going to happen with them playing on the same 5v5 line and on the power play line, so I don't think any Leafs fans will apologize or feel bad when that happens. However among the 11 goals Matthews has scored this season Marner's had the primary assist on 6 of those goals and 1 of those goals he had the secondary assist. His only other secondary assist was on a goal scored by Hyman last Saturday against Vancouver which was their 3-0 goal from that game.

The poster I said that too claims that of the 51 pts Drai had with McDavid last year, he would have only gotten half of that away from McDavid. So I assume the same ratio would apply here.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

Exactly, Marner is better.

And I’ll take him in the playoffs too. Bring more than Tkachuk without the slew-foots and meltdowns.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The poster I said that too claims that of the 51 pts Drai had with McDavid last year, he would have only gotten half of that away from McDavid. So I assume the same ratio would apply here.
I don't know the exact breakdown but when Marner got his 94 points in the 2018-19 Season, he was only with Matthews on the power play and not at 5v5. So that would mean he had more 5v5 points with Tavares.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No contracts?
Then easily Marner.

Contracts?
Then I'm taking the 4 million savings and Tkachuk easily.

Also would depend on the team I had built previously. Marner if I'm starting from scratch though.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I don't know the exact breakdown but when Marner got his 94 points in the 2018-19 Season, he was only with Matthews on the power play and not at 5v5. So that would mean he had more 5v5 points with Tavares.
So another paragraph that has zero to do with what I was talking about, which you responded to?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So another paragraph that has zero to do with what I was talking about, which you responded to?
Except with Marner we have proof that in his best season he was only with Matthews on the power when he got 94 points. So like I said before you need to figure out how many of those 94 points was just with Matthews at 5v4 or 5v3, because they were not at 5v5.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Except with Marner we have proof that in his best season he was only with Matthews on the power when he got 94 points. So like I said before you need to figure out how many of those 94 points was just with Matthews at 5v4 or 5v3, because they were not at 5v5.
So he wasn’t with a different high end C that year? A Center that you showed a poll listing him as the 4th best C in the league from years ago, and insinuating that only anti leaf bias has changed since then?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So he wasn’t with a different high end C that year? A Center that you showed a poll listing him as the 4th best C in the league from years ago, and insinuating that only anti leaf bias has changed since then?
I'm saying that Tavares is more responsible for why Marner got those 94 points because they played all season together at 5v5. So that factors in a lot more than Marner playing with Matthews on the power play that year.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I'm saying that Tavares is more responsible for why Marner got those 94 points because they played all season together at 5v5. So that factors in a lot more than Marner playing with Matthews on the power play that year.
But I wasn’t talking about that year, I was talking about this year. So again you’re changing the topic like always

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
But I wasn’t talking about that year, I was talking about this year. So again you’re changing the topic like always
I originally gave you a response about Marner's points from this season.

However that didn't seem good enough because you than responded with something about Draisaitl having 51 points with McDavid from last season.

Reactions: Hollywood North

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I originally gave you a response about Marner's points from this season.

However that didn't seem good enough because you than responded with something about Draisaitl having 51 points with McDavid from last season.
Your original response had zero to do with what I was saying, that’s why.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Not at all. You can take your local pee wee house league team if you please. Carry on.

Oh really? What do you call this?

jeez, people really find ways to dance around picking a leaf in a poll. and its a cold take at that.

Marner has 21 points in 25 playoff games.

Tkahcuk has 5 points in 15 playoff games.

A leaf fan chose the Calgary player and got ripped into by another leaf fan rofl

You cant make this stuff up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad