Matt Tkachuk or Mitch Marner

Matt Tkachuk Mitch Marner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
This isnt really a fair comp for Tkachuk. hes more comparable to Nylander.
I mean the answer to this thread is Marner but Tkachuk is a special talent offensively that people are seriously under rating.

The last two seasons Tkachuk had spent over 80% of his time 5v5 with Backlund, and a lions share of that with Frolik until Mangiapane came along. One is a third line centre, and I don’t even think Frolik has played a game this year. He still managed to be 30th in the league in 5v5 points during that stretch.

Marner played less than 5% of that time without one of Tavares or Matthews, and was 9th with a 17 point gap over Tkachuk during those two seasons. I wonder if Matthews or Tavares could boost someone by 8.5 points a season compared to a defensive role with Backlund.

Nylander was 121st during that time frame by the way.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I like Tkachuk but this should be Marner. Also the list of voters for Tkachuk is all the usual suspects. Keep on keepin on guys!! who else will I argue with a 3am lol

Reactions: Pyrophorus and BM14

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I mean the answer to this thread is Marner but Tkachuk is a special talent offensively that people are seriously under rating.

The last two seasons Tkachuk had spent over 80% of his time 5v5 with Backlund, and a lions share of that with Frolik until Mangiapane came along. One is a third line centre, and I don’t even think Frolik has played a game this year. He still managed to be 30th in the league in 5v5 points during that stretch.

Marner played less than 5% of that time without one of Tavares or Matthews, and was 9th with a 17 point gap over Tkachuk during those two seasons. I wonder if Matthews or Tavares could boost someone by 8.5 points a season compared to a defensive role with Backlund.

Me saying that isnt downplaying Tkachuk. i just think he is closer to Nylander talent wise than Marner. Both had similar stat lines last year. While Marner was much more productive. And the trend continues this year.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
It's kind of funny that matt has this reputation as a "Gritty" player, and yet Marner has ben far better in the playoffs.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009

I could easily Tkachuk put up 80-85 points in a season.

And just as easily see Mitch put up 110.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
jeez, people really find ways to dance around picking a leaf in a poll. and its a cold take at that.

Marner has 21 points in 25 playoff games.

Tkahcuk has 5 points in 15 playoff games.

Dance around picking a leaf? When this poll was made saying not counting contracts, knowing full well that benefits marner since he makes 40% more money? Ya, keep playing the victim leaf fans.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
71B38E01-6098-40A0-91DC-1ACB346841EB.png
Me saying that isnt downplaying Tkachuk. i just think he is closer to Nylander talent wise than Marner. Both had similar stat lines last year. While Marner was much more productive. And the trend continues this year.
See this is the sentiment that I’m talking about. Tkachuk is not at a Nylander level of talent. Even just looking at point per game off their draft years.
D+1: .63 to N/A
D+2: .72 to .59
D+3: .96 to .75
D+4: .85 to .74
D+5: N/A to .5
D+6: N/A to .86

Last season they had comparable point per games. Nylander played less than 2% of his time without Matthews or Tavares. Tkachuk played 70% of his time with Backlund and led his team in points.

The graph shows their usages nicely. Tkachuk may not be a Marner level talent. But he is much better than a Nylander talent. Which is no slight on Nylander at all.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Dance around picking a leaf? When this poll was made saying not counting contracts, knowing full well that benefits marner since he makes 40% more money? Ya, keep playing the victim leaf fans.
terrible reasoning to bring up playoff performances when Marner has been much better there.

And i take Marner with contracts too.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
View attachment 394589
See this is the sentiment that I’m talking about. Tkachuk is not at a Nylander level of talent. Even just looking at point per game off their draft years.
D+1: .63 to N/A
D+2: .72 to .59
D+3: .96 to .75
D+4: .85 to .74
D+5: N/A to .5
D+6: N/A to .86

Last season they had comparable point per games. Nylander played less than 2% of his time without Matthews or Tavares. Tkachuk played 70% of his time with Backlund and led his team in points.

The graph shows their usages nicely. Tkachuk may not be a Marner level talent. But he is much better than a Nylander talent. Which is no slight on Nylander at all.
yes i would say Tkachuk is better i just said he is closer to Nylander.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Marner benefits by playing with guys like Matthews and Tavares. He's overrated.
In Marner's rookie season he was playing on a line where Tyler Bozak was his Centre.

In his second season he got moved onto a new line where Nazem Kadri was his Centre.

Plus in his first two seasons he never played same power play line with Matthews and obviously by default he could not play with Tavares at 5v5 or on the power play until his third year since he was still a member of the Islanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad