Matt Read (thread started in 2011)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
Dont feel like looking through 7 pages and couldnt find anything on it.. But why was Read never drafted?

Basically, he is a late bloomer and he played at low levels when he was draft eligible.

He played at the OPJHL, Canadian Junior A, tier-II, until he was 20 years old. Afterwards a year at the USHL as an 21 years old and when he went to Bemidji State. I think he was an NHL UFA before he went to college.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Flyers' Read making case for Calder Trophy

Decent article

"Hockey runs my life and takes me everywhere I want to go."

- From Matt Read's bio on Twitter (@read1mat)
Matt Read is going places, all right. And though it's several months away, one of those places may be Las Vegas, where they honor the NHL award winners after the season.

The Flyers have never had a player win the Calder Trophy as the NHL's best rookie.

Not Bobby Clarke, Bill Barber, or Ron Hextall. Not Mikael Renberg, Mike Richards, or Jeff Carter.

Not anybody.

Read, whom the Flyers signed as an undrafted free agent, may end the drought.

In the season's first six weeks, the 25-year-old rookie winger has showcased blazing speed, a laser of a shot, and a knack for pouncing on loose pucks around the net. He has five goals in his last four games, the best streak for a Flyers rookie since Renberg had five goals in a three-game span in 1994.

"He's getting comfortable and understanding the way we're trying to do things," coach Peter Laviolette said.

Entering Sunday, Read led NHL rookies with eight goals, and he was tied for second in the plus-minus ratings at plus-6. Sean Couturier, the Flyers' other rookie-of-the-year hopeful, has five goals and is tops among first-year players at plus-9.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ing_case_for_Calder_Trophy.html#ixzz1eMJeoon0

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Learned via twitter From David Isaac that Read's injury earlier was a concussion(mild). I don't know if that was posted or not so sorry if it was!

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Learned via twitter From David Isaac that Read's injury earlier was a concussion(mild). I don't know if that was posted or not so sorry if it was!
Haven't seen this anywhere else. Thanks 4 sharing this!

Unfortunately Matt Read plays a style that may lead to concussions sooner or later - he needs to learn how to protect himself better.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Hey guys Sens fan coming in peace. Fantasy question about Read, should I drop Voracek for Read??

Its a head to head hockey pool at work and there's $800 on the line, so this is serious business!!! :sarcasm:

Any help would be appreciated.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
what are the scoring categories?

Just about everything; g, a, pts, +/-, pims, shots, SHP, PPP, hits & Faceoff wins.

Im thinking Read is the better choice right now, its all about points for me as Im good on hits, faceoffs and PIMs so really only the offensive stats matter in this case.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Just about everything; g, a, pts, +/-, pims, shots, SHP, PPP, hits & Faceoff wins.

Im thinking Read is the better choice right now, its all about points for me as Im good on hits, faceoffs and PIMs so really only the offensive stats matter in this case.

I would go with Read, Lavi is starting to really lean on him for production so his mins will be more than Voracek's

ApeZilla

Mar 8, 2007
Mt. Pocono, Pa
What sucks is that if Read and Hopkins are close at the end of the season, Read is 25, most people will probably look at that and vote Hopkins.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
What sucks is that if Read and Hopkins are close at the end of the season, Read is 25, most people will probably look at that and vote Hopkins.
What RNH is doing as an skinny 18 year old kid is more impressive than someone doing it as a 25 year old man. Do you disagree?

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
What RNH is doing as an skinny 18 year old kid is more impressive than someone doing it as a 25 year old man. Do you disagree?

What Read is doing as a 3rd liner (playing w/ Talbot and Voracek) and playing sparingly on the PP while being a mainstay on the PK is more impressive than what RNH is doing playing between Hall/Smyth and Eberle and getting 1st PP time while not having to play the PK. Do you disagree?:sarcasm:

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
What Read is doing as a 3rd liner (playing w/ Talbot and Voracek) and playing sparingly on the PP while being a mainstay on the PK is more impressive than what RNH is doing playing between Hall/Smyth and Eberle and getting 1st PP time while not having to play the PK. Do you disagree?:sarcasm:

Read doesn't have to face top defensive pairings though. RNH does.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
What?

Everyone faces top defensive pairings. They're on the ice more than anyone.
You know what I mean. I doubt when Read comes over the boards Nashville sends out Weber and Suter to stop him. That's what happens to RNH. Both are having good years but IMO RNH is clearly in front.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
You know what I mean. I doubt when Read comes over the boards Nashville sends out Weber and Suter to stop him. That's what happens to RNH. Both are having good years but IMO RNH is clearly in front.

And your not saying this because your an Oilers fan right?

But I guess if you use the age thing, we can say, whats more impressive, a 1st overall pick scoring alot or a undrafted free agent?

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
And your not saying this because your an Oilers fan right?

But I guess if you use the age thing, we can say, whats more impressive, a 1st overall pick scoring alot or a undrafted free agent?

undrafted free agent I'm more impressed with Reader dooder

Clown Baby*

Read doesn't have to face top defensive pairings though. RNH does.
MATTREAD
QUAL COMP -0.096
QUAL TEAM -0.013

RYANNUGENT-HOPKINS
QUAL COMP -0.032
QUAL TEAM 0.234

RNH faces slightly tougher competition, but plays with demonstrably better players.

Keep your Calder, though. It'll make re-signing Read easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad