Confirmed with Link: Matt Read signs PTO with Maple Leafs (released)

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I don't see the fit at all.

Just fighting for the 4th line RW spot most likely and PK. Looks like we're trying to bring in better defensive forwards and players who can play on the PK. Got quite a few fighting for spots now which doesn't hurt.

Reactions: JamesFord

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Just fighting for the 4th line RW spot most likely and PK. Looks like we're trying to bring in better defensive forwards and players who can play on the PK. Got quite a few fighting for spots now which doesn't hurt.

Competition is good but not sure how he wins a contract with the bodies we have. You never know I guess.

He'd be a nice veteran for the Marlies though.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
This is great to see. I always love when a couple vets get a shot with a PTO. It makes camp more interesting (even if their chances are non existent).

Read is a good player. Just more likely to be a good player in the AHL.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
If Toronto can become the defacto PTO spot, that would be great.
Basically every summer youd have 10 or 15 guys who are in the cusp of the NHL trying to prove their worth. Not a bad place to be, especially if hosting them gives you an advantage to sign them.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
PTOs have to be limited though. Preseason games are for more important things than auditioning good guys looking for a gig somewhere in pro hockey. Every PTO has to have a purpose otherwise it's just blocking audition time for players under an actual contract.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's a good thing. Means that Dubas is listening to his coaching staff despite what is said on here.

Nobody said that he should never listen to the coaching staff, but at the end of the day, he has final say. He shouldn't blindly follow everything the coaching staff wants. Otherwise name Babcock or Hakstol the GM then. And this is just a PTO, means nothing. This is just to make sure we have enough "vets" in the lineup for the first couple of preseason games, nothing more. Just an extra body for preseason

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just a recap, Matt Read is a 33 year old winger who spent the majority of his time last season with the Iowa Wild and the year before that he was in Leigh Valley Flyers for about half the season.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He is on a PTO. He has to drastically out play his peers to get a contract. In fact, with the contract limit he has to be good enough to give the Leafs to move a player out. Nothing wrong with competition in sport.

Reactions: Nylander88

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He is on a PTO. He has to drastically out play his peers to get a contract. In fact, with the contract limit he has to be good enough to give the Leafs to move a player out. Nothing wrong with competition in sport.

It's also a favour to get him onto the Marlies if needed, and would be a nice Mueller replacement.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
PTOs have to be limited though. Preseason games are for more important things than auditioning good guys looking for a gig somewhere in pro hockey. Every PTO has to have a purpose otherwise it's just blocking audition time for players under an actual contract.

Sometimes the purpose is giving the sure-thing players less playing time. Not all the vets want to be playing a bunch of pre season games. So throwing Read out there may mean more rest for our regulars.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's requirements for vets in preseason. You have to have a few of them on the roster. And with some split-squad games, it might be hard to get to those requirements when we have so many inexperienced guys going after the bottom 6 jobs.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
It's also a favour to get him onto the Marlies if needed, and would be a nice Mueller replacement.

The Marlies already have about 5 potential Mueller replacements depending on how things shake out from among: Petan, Wilson, Agostino, Aberg, Luchuk, Kasilla, Shore, Marchment et al. Its going to be another stacked team this year with only a few extra places for prospects. If goaltending is even average for most of the year, instead of abysmal for the first half, it should be a top team in the AHL and a contender for another cup.

Last edited:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If Toronto can become the defacto PTO spot, that would be great.
Basically every summer youd have 10 or 15 guys who are in the cusp of the NHL trying to prove their worth. Not a bad place to be, especially if hosting them gives you an advantage to sign them.

Being a desirable PTO destination basically means you have less depth in a certain area doesn’t it? Thought PTOs go to teams where they have the best chance to crack the lineup, because as you say the place they go to will have an advantage to evaluate and sign.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I assume that Read wants to continue his pro career. Being an Ontario boy, maybe he prefers his AHL destination to be in Toronto as a Marlie instead of a small town US city. Marlies have a spot for at centre.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I am just curious and not criticizing; What do you think we could get for Goat in a trade. I don't think we could get a goat for him.

I'd take a rack-of-lamb if cooked properly.

I wonder, maybe a 3rd. /4th. round pick?

Gauthier might be a NHL player, just not a good one. No disrepect intended, but he's 24 years old and a 4th. liner.

Last edited:

member 157595

I am just curious and not criticizing; What do you think we could get for Goat in a trade. I don't think we could get a goat for him.

Goats are assholes, you don't want them. They're like terrible-twos toddlers with bigger appetites, hooves and terrifying agility. Like a creature straight out of your nightmares.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Goats are *******s, you don't want them. They're like terrible-twos toddlers with bigger appetites, hooves and terrifying agility. Like a creature straight out of your nightmares.

I dare you to name a cuter baby animal than a baby goat.

You didn't mention their smell and their freaky eyes.

Last edited:

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Being a desirable PTO destination basically means you have less depth in a certain area doesn’t it? Thought PTOs go to teams where they have the best chance to crack the lineup, because as you say the place they go to will have an advantage to evaluate and sign.

I think its a double edged sword.
PTOs usually turn out 2 or 3 solid guys a year, usually older guys coming off an injury or a younger guy who just didnt work in a different system.
They go to teams who they think they can either
a)crack the NHL lineup
or
b) the AHL lineup and have a chance to be called up if an injury occurs

Leafs can afford to pay guys 700k in the AHL, so a PTO person might like the idea of knowing the Leafs will pay them well.

If you as a team after the first month of free agency keep a few spots open, using PTOs might be an easy and cheap way to get 4th line/6-7D type talent.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I assume that Read wants to continue his pro career. Being an Ontario boy, maybe he prefers his AHL destination to be in Toronto as a Marlie instead of a small town US city. Marlies have a spot for at centre.

The Marlies already have Brooks, Shore,Luchuck, Kossila, Gaudet, Engvall, plus a handful of AHL contract player prospects who did exceptionaly well last year and deserve the opportunity. Exactly where is this spot at center you think exists?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'd take a rack-of-lamb if cooked properly.

I wonder, maybe a 3rd. /4th. round pick?

Gauthier might be a NHL player, just not a good one. No disrepect intended, but he's 24 years old and a 4th. liner.

That's a bit generous.

I'd say 5th/6th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad