Confirmed with Link: Matt Read signs PTO with Maple Leafs (released)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ilderton, ONT
Estimated Career Earnings
q.svg
: $17,271,833

Toronto is near his home town, although I'm not sure his family is still in the area?

Other teams will get to see how he does or perhaps he takes a job with the Marlies for a reasonable AHL contract.
He shouldn't need money today, so perhaps he can transition off the ice now?

Reactions: qqaz

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Will probably end up in Europe after camp. He's not good enough for the NHL anymore, but why not just throw him into the mix to teach some young guys a few things.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Matt Read released from PTO

But signs 1 year deal with the Marlies. Tbh, glad he's sticking around with the Marlies.
I'm sure he could find more consistent work elsewhere (he's going to be having to rotate in and out with the other vets. it'll be a low GP kinda season for him in Toronto), but he wanted to stay

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
If the Leafs have injury issues he might get a shot. He still looked like a capable player in pre-season, this roster is just very deep.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If we lose 1-2 guys on waivers and get a contract spot or 2 open, wouldn't hesitate to sign him.

Reactions: uncleben

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
What's the max salary one can get with an AHL contract?
There is no maximum amount a player can earn in the AHL.

For all the AHL cares, MLSE could give Matt Read $5M to play down there.
It's probably going to be closer to somewhere between half-NHL min. and NHL min. though, like $350,000-$700,000.

EDIT: Double checking the AHL/PHPA CBA FAQ, it says "no salary limit", but now trying to interpret it, that may be a simplification that helps explain that an NHL contract can be honoured at full value. There may be a max ($350,000) on an AHL-only deal, according to others... I think not, though.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
What's the max salary one can get with an AHL contract?

I don't think there is a cap, and even then, he's probably not making a ton of money.

The thing I don't understand is the Marlies are deeper than the Leafs right now... With Read, Petan, Wilson and Agostino, the Marlies/Growlers have 30 guys under SPC/AHL contracts. Shore, once Hyman returns, makes it 31. The two teams can only ice 23 forwards max, and the Growlers have some of their own guys as well.

I guess the Marlies feel like they can never have enough depth, even though there are probably a few guys who will rarely ever play next year unless we face serious injury troubles, but I am surprised Read did not try and get an AHL contract on another team. It's close to home and it's a very nice team, but he chose a team with enough quality AHL-caliber forward talent to ice two quality forward groups. He could have gone to almost any other team in the AHL and walk right into their lineup with a much better chance of getting an SPC out of it at some point.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'm glad Read took an AHL deal. I was hoping for that while I watched him in preseason. He's a smart, steady dude, and he has some versatility.

You need experience and character in the minors.

Reactions: therealkoho

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I don't think there is a cap, and even then, he's probably not making a ton of money.

The thing I don't understand is the Marlies are deeper than the Leafs right now... With Read, Petan, Wilson and Agostino, the Marlies/Growlers have 30 guys under SPC/AHL contracts. Shore, once Hyman returns, makes it 31. The two teams can only ice 23 forwards max, and the Growlers have some of their own guys as well.

I guess the Marlies feel like they can never have enough depth, even though there are probably a few guys who will rarely ever play next year unless we face serious injury troubles, but I am surprised Read did not try and get an AHL contract on another team. It's close to home and it's a very nice team, but he chose a team with enough quality AHL-caliber forward talent to ice two quality forward groups. He could have gone to almost any other team in the AHL and walk right into their lineup with a much better chance of getting an SPC out of it at some point.

The ECHL's 16 skater (10F, 6D de facto) rule is so dumb, imo.
I mean I get it, saves some money on a league that every dollar counts... but still :laugh:

Then again, I am also in favour of expanding NHL game rosters as well, so I may be biased..!

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The ECHL's 16 skater (10F, 6D de facto) rule is so dumb, imo.
I mean I get it, saves some money on a league that every dollar counts... but still :laugh:

Then again, I am also in favour of expanding NHL game rosters as well, so I may be biased..!

I think it should be like the OHL. You can play with less, but if you have the money/roster to ice more, then you should be allowed to ice more. It's an unfair advantage to teams like the Growlers who have the Leafs/Marlies pay most of their players the vast majority of their salaries (I think it turns out that you can pay the guy like a 6 figure salary but the ECHL team only has a small fraction of it on their weekly cap and do not have to pay any of the real dollars attached), but tough luck. It's an incentive for other NHL/AHL teams to start investing in their ECHL teams if they care about them.

Reactions: uncleben

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
If the Leafs have injury issues he might get a shot. He still looked like a capable player in pre-season, this roster is just very deep.

Likely lots of call for emergency replacements this year, so having a handful of bottom 6 quality experienced NHLers will come in handy. they'll also likely be available to practice with the Leafs to ensure that maintaining a lonely pressbox won't be a detriment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad