Matt Read (2013 Edition...and so on)

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Having the MacDonald/Schenn pairing out there in that critical situation just wasn't smart at all. Both haven't played for ages and were rusty as hell. That's also on Berube.

Berubelogic strikes again.....

The real problem though is not having a true shutdown pair in the first place but Berube just compounds the issue...

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
As per Meltzer, Berube eluded after practice today that Read had played through the foot injury in the beginning of the season

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
Seems to make sense with how sluggish he was skating, excited to see him excel again!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Don't think it's an accident that Couts took off when Read started skating normally. While people keep wanting to shuffle players, I think the top 3 lines are about as good as they can do with the current roster until Leier is ready to replace Umberger, and Umberger can then push VV to the bench.

We're not signing FAs other than PEB cheap-o's for two more years until we clear out cap space, so the best hope for improvement is to get the 2nd and 3rd lines playing against good teams the way they've played the last few games. And a 4th line that can take some defensive minutes off Couts and Read.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
Don't think it's an accident that Couts took off when Read started skating normally. While people keep wanting to shuffle players, I think the top 3 lines are about as good as they can do with the current roster until Leier is ready to replace Umberger, and Umberger can then push VV to the bench.

We're not signing FAs other than PEB cheap-o's for two more years until we clear out cap space, so the best hope for improvement is to get the 2nd and 3rd lines playing against good teams the way they've played the last few games. And a 4th line that can take some defensive minutes off Couts and Read.

You're forgetting white which will be the 4th line center as soon as he is cleared. Already pushing out VV

Peb/White/Rinaldo

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I'm wondering if you will ever make it through a post without mentioning Leier. :laugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm wondering if you will ever make it through a post without mentioning Leier. :laugh:

Unfortunately, unlike the defense, we don't have a large selection of young wingers who could play LW on the 3rd line. AK is years away, Lindblom is a RW? and has to show he can skate well enough to play in the NHL, Straka is playing better but there are still questions, Cousins is a Center.

Kinda depressing when you think about it.
Does Park have NFL potential?

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Unfortunately, unlike the defense, we don't have a large selection of young wingers who could play LW on the 3rd line. AK is years away, Lindblom is a RW? and has to show he can skate well enough to play in the NHL, Straka is playing better but there are still questions, Cousins is a Center.

Kinda depressing when you think about it.
Does Park have NFL potential?

As far as potential goes, he has a shot to be an AHLer maybe suprise 4th liner. But in all reality i think he really does have a chance to shine this year in college and get drafted high 5th round by the Browns to play tightend...

Sorry i had to add the last part:D

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Hey guys, I don't watch the Flyers often and I love the way Read plays, or played for that matter... What's up with him this year? Is it just a sluggish start and nothing serious to look into besides some misinterpreted stats or has he taken a step back in his level of play?

Love to hear some opinions!

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Hey guys, I don't watch the Flyers often and I love the way Read plays, or played for that matter... What's up with him this year? Is it just a sluggish start and nothing serious to look into besides some misinterpreted stats or has he taken a step back in his level of play?

He's been injured for most of the year, but there are some legitimate concerns about him starting to show signs of breaking down, imo. His usage has been insane for the last 2+ years for a guy with his size. Those minutes can really take a toll on a smaller guy. Just ask Mike Richards.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

It was speculated that he was hampered by a high ankle sprain and then revealed publicly back in January ( http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...injury-that-could-have-hampered-his-game.html ).

And then on NHL.com, at least for this one game:

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2014020957

PHILADELPHIA -- A high ankle sprain generally keeps an NHL player out 4-6 weeks. It kept Philadelphia Flyers forward Matt Read out until his next shift.

Read sustained the injury in November, but rather than taking time off to let his ankle heal, he's played through it and is one of seven Flyers to skate in all 65 games this season.

It's a reason the two-time 20-goal scorer has struggled to produce.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Read has a shooting percentage of 20% right now and he looks much better than he was last year.
Do you guys think he finishes the season closer to his first three seasons at around 15% or his last season of 5.6%?

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Unsure about his shooting percentage, but I still think we don't really know what Read's offensive potential is.

I think he is going to be around a 20G/20G maybe +/- a few.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Read is back to normal, he'll end up with a SH of 10-15%, 20 goals, 35 points, contribute on the PK, etc. Or why they paid him.

It's obvious he was seriously injured last year, and why Hextall stocked up on veteran wingers at Lehigh, the lack of depth last year at wing was abysmal, they even had to dress Vinnie at times!

Hopefully, Cousins, Straka, Leier are for real and they won't have to bring up retreads in the event of injuries.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Unless they make a trade or put someone on LTIR they won't be able to bring up any of the young forwards. Their cap hits are too high.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
http://www.pattisonave.com/matt-read-bouncing-back-from-injury-riddled-season/

11 games in to a crucial season, Matt Read is well on his way to proving that he is still a very capable forward at the NHL level. The 29 year old is back to being the quick skating, possession driving, defensively responsible forward that Flyers fans had grown accustomed to during his first three years in the league. There haven’t been many positives over the last week and a half for Philadelphia, but Read’s strong play is something to be excited about as the season continues.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think when Couts gets healthy and they settle on the first 3 lines, Read will end up with a solid season. They should improve with time in Hakstol's system, and hopefully Ghost will come up in January or so and provide a boost to the offense.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think when Couts gets healthy and they settle on the first 3 lines, Read will end up with a solid season. They should improve with time in Hakstol's system, and hopefully Ghost will come up in January or so and provide a boost to the offense.

I will be surprised if Read ends up with 15 goals, 35 points.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It must eat you up that the soft Flyers beat the Big Boy Jets.

Almost as if being big doesn't guarantee wins like you seem to think....

Crazy, isn't it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad