Matt Read (2013 Edition...and so on)

Evergreen

He's my favorite player. He does everything well and rarely makes mistakes. Works hard and goes about his work quietly yet efficiently. That contract is nice, too. He's 27 now, so we have him locked up through most of his prime.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
He has been fantastic, even when the team looks bad he still manages to look pretty good.

Great re-signing.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Vinny and him were the best 2 forwards on the ice, glad we got Read locked up! Proving to be a sound player in all aspects of the game.

Wixztor

Mar 30, 2013
Perpetually looks like he's been an NHL:er since he was 18 years old. It boggles my mind how he does pretty much everything right night in and night out. Really, really glad we got to keep him.

jeff leonard

Nov 6, 2013
australia
Thinking about Matt Read at work.

He's really really good, and unless im misreading [heheh, mis-read-ing] he's on pace for more than 20 this year

What a deal.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Thinking about Matt Read at work.

He's really really good, and unless im misreading [heheh, mis-read-ing] he's on pace for more than 20 this year

What a deal.

He's sitting on 19 goals with 14 games left, unless of an injury he should get it.

Voracek (18), Hartnell (18), & Schenn (17) should all pass that mark as well.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Can we make the title of the thread "Matt Read - WOW!!" you know, kind of like this one? http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=894901&highlight=matt+read

Matt Read - WOW!!
Is Philly drunk? Signing this guy who is unproven and a midget to a 3 yr one-way deal at avg $900,000K is absolutely absurd and a terrible move by the GM. This joke of over-paying for college free agents is hilarious!! Team scouting departments should be fired for this. The anomaly that Martin St. Louis, Ed Belfour, Adam Oates and more recent Chris Kunitz have been are extreme examples and if a player isn't drafted and noticed early in their career in this age of technology, then hes not worth the crazy deal. Tyler Bozak and Matt Gilroy were seen as immediate saviors and have been busts SO FAR!! All teams are doing is making their AHL team a lot stronger (hopefully) and producing 4th line NHL'ers at best. With phillys strong prospect group and signing this midget to a 3 year one-way deal will create more headaches than anything else. Absolutely flabbergasted!!! Holmgren is a moron....get a goalie already!! Bridesmade again is all I can say!

Its a one way deal so they are burning 900k/year (ALL CAP SPACE) on a guy that has no pedigree and has been an unknown all this time. To boot, hes 25. One can hope he turns into something decent, high side -steve reinprecht (and thats a stretch) - low side $3M bust.

Last edited:

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Remember when it looked like Read would be a cap casualty after this season was up? Or when LA was demanding him for Bernier? Thank God we don't have to worry about that anymore. He and Couturier have become absolute building blocks for this team.

NHLfreak1

Jan 6, 2014
Schenn and Couterier have gotten far more attention and praise, mostly due to their age, but Matt Read has been quietly outplaying both of them handily.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
More like inexperienced Akeson. He'll be 24 this June (9 days before I turn 24 in fact). He's already older then Couts and B Schenn, only 6 months younger then Luke and a yr younger then Jake.

He's a good fit age wise with the team, hopefully they all help him out. I don't really see that as a problem though considering he's such good friends with G.

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly
This guy had 22 goals this year. 18 Even Strength (2nd on team) and 4 SHG (2nd in NHL). It may be just me but I think that if Read got an elevated/more offensive role on the team, he could put up ~30 goals. Obviously we would need to find a replacement for him on the 3rd line, but I think he has so much unseen talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad