Waived: Matt Nieto (SJS) - Claimed by Colorado

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
This is a little reminiscent of Andrew Cogliano...it still might take him a few years to be productive, but guys with elite speed and decent hockey sense will usually find a spot somewhere.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
Hoping the Oilers claim him...can use his speed...played well under TM in the past.

LW depth:
Lucic
Maroon
Nieto
Pouliot/Hendricks

This I can see. I actually was thinking the exact same thing when I heard the news.

Still strange though. Not that i am against the waiving of Nieto but, Nieto goes and trash Haley stays AND, we can't even get him out of the starting lineup as definitely a DeBoer fav/buddy and Nieto wasn't ????

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Untouchable? I highly doubt that was said about Nieto, even by shark fans.

Yah. Don't remember anyone saying that. There may have been some comments about his value being more to our team than the return we would get but not even close to being untouchable.

He is a solid bottom-6 player. Fast and solid defensively. Can PK as well. Just don't expect much on offense. He shows flashes sometimes but has had issues finishing.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
Dang, SJ fans said he was untouchable a few seasons ago.

That is probably because most SJ fans believed he still had room to develop. Unfortunately he has not really improved much in the last couple years, and his offense is pretty abysmal. Now the Sharks have several young forwards looking to or have already surpassed him, and there just isn't enough room for him anymore.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Yah. Don't remember anyone saying that. There may have been some comments about his value being more to our team than the return we would get but not even close to being untouchable.

He is a solid bottom-6 player. Fast and solid defensively. Can PK as well. Just don't expect much on offense. He shows flashes sometimes but has had issues finishing.

Clearly that was the case. He's not going to return them anything if picked up on waivers.

Interesting demotion. Actually think he'd fit really well on Pittsburgh but it's not happening.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=88841303&postcount=51

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=88864229&postcount=131

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=88874191&postcount=142

:)

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

I'll leave out usernames so as to not be 'flaming'

I would much rather trade a guy like Couture or Pavelski or even Vlasic or Burns whose value around the league is approximately their actual real value to a team than a guy like...Nieto or Hertl whose value is much much higher than the average person realizes. Case and point: Nieto is one of the BEST possession players in the league right now but getting awful luck and no bounces so his point totals look ugly.

In response to the above (lul):

This is damn near poetry. Well said.

I couldn't give a crap about how underwhelmed you are, because I have less than zero interest in trading Nieto.

Nieto, Hertl, Mueller, Goldobin are off limits.

And these posts just for kicks:

If you watch Nieto, he's the best player on his line most nights.

Nieto is absolutely a top 6 forward. The fact that you don't know that means you haven't watched him play. He's a 3 zone player who is probably one of the fastest skaters in the league and has already vastly outpaced even the best expectations set for him.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I couldn't believe Wingels or Haley were playing over Nieto. But it's been obvious that DeBoer doesn't like him for some reason. So I'm glad to see him waived to get playing time elsewhere.

But just completely stupid asset management by the Sharks. Wingels or Haley should have been traded or waived first IMO.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Those posts are also from 3 years ago when he was a rookie, every fan base overrates their exciting youth

Since they are from 3 years ago they are now null and void? One poster said it was unlikely anyone had ever said that about Nieto, they were promptly proven wrong with a variety of examples. Now you're sidestepping>....

typical

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Every fanbase overrates their young players. The fact that some of you feel the need to condescendingly point out the obvious doesn't make any sense to me.

Not everyone memorizes what other people say about players.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I'm just saying it's not a big deal if people got overzealous about the value of their organization's best prospects when they are still prospects

If you took those posts seriously three years ago then you fell for the hype, if you want to assess a young player's value watch them yourself, as their team's fans are very likely to pump up their worth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad