Speculation: Matt Murray to Chicago

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Is there any chance Murray would extend for the same AAV they reportedly offered Crawford (3.5M)? If so, maybe Pens give Murray away for no real return and Stan either A uses a potential Murray deal as leverage to get Crawford to take less or B prefers Murray at 3.5m but with possibly extra term vs Crawford on a 35+ contract with term...The leaks that the Hawks are in the market for Murray and Kuemper feel intentional...One those guys are not going to come at less than 3.5m probably, two they will cost assets and three they're debatably equal to a healthy Crawford (not so much Murray)...

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
What about Lankinen and our first for Merzlikins? Columbus is supposedly shopping both of their goalies per tsn.ca

If true, Stan should be inquiring about the cost. The caphits fit for the next two years, and both are UFA in the all important 22/23 offseason.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
For Murray and Kuemper asking price is said to 1st round pick +

That would be too much.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
For Murray and Kuemper asking price is said to 1st round pick +

That would be too much.

Way too much for Murray. He’s worth maybe a 2nd. Kuemper on the other hand is worth a 1st+. Not that I want to give up a 1st+ for Kuemper but he’s been a much better goalie than Murray has the last few years.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Trade a Nylander for Murray, Pittsburgh won’t get much for a pending RFA who had a downright terrible year, I don’t care how many cups he’s won.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Any deal that see's Hawks give up anything for Murray is bad deal

And the contract he will be given will make it worse

Rather have Nylander then trading for Matt f***ing Murray

Unless Seabrook is going the other way there is no defending Stanley if he pulls trigger on a Murray deal

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017

Stan upon hearing Murray’s contract ask

giphy.gif

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Murray has swung from overrated to underrated around HFBoards.

He's still a pretty good goalie, and he's young. 26 years old. That's how old Crow was when he had his first reason season in 2011. Murray at 26 has 2 Stanley Cup runs and 200 plus games of experience under his belt.

I'd frankly be down to see what he could do with Waite coaching him. If Waite could make Darling competent, he has plenty of clay to mold with Murray, who has far more talent and a better baseline of technique.

That said, I don't think they'd be able to get Murray at the price they need. But would be worth circling back if he's not scooped up immediately in free agency.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

He's still a pretty good goalie, and he's young. 26 years old. That's how old Crow was when he had his first reason season in 2011. Murray at 26 has 2 Stanley Cup runs and 200 plus games of experience under his belt.

I'd frankly be down to see what he could do with Waite coaching him. If Waite could make Darling competent, he has plenty of clay to mold with Murray, who has far more talent and a better baseline of technique.

That said, I don't think they'd be able to get Murray at the price they need. But would be worth circling back if he's not scooped up immediately in free agency.

This board has always loved it's hyperbole.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Its the extension and cost that has me worried more than Murray as a goalie...Also interested to see what Waite can do with him and he does have the trackrecord of winning some big series, I just don't trust Stan to negotiate a contract without doing something ridiculous like putting in a NMC for 2 years or giving up too much cap for him...or somehow turning it into a larger deal around Saad for Murray...Have no issue buying low on Murray and giving him a bridge deal but if he wants long term money at a 5m+ aav then its a no go...

Reactions: JaegerDice

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Murray would be a good buy low candidate if you could buy low on him.

If he didn't cost jack shit to acquire and if his salary demands were reasonable, it'd be a decent move.

The fact that discussions seem to have stopped suggest Bowman did what he should, which is look into a potential deal and backout when the value (whether to acquire or cap hit) was too high. This is one of those times you can't and shouldn't fault Bowman.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The problem isn't taking a chance on Murray. It's 1) signing him to a contract that probably isn't going to look good if he doesn't get back to his previous form, and 2) trading actual assets for him.

If he was a UFA, and wanted like 2mil on a 1 or 2 year deal, sure.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
So it's confirmed Bowman offered 7yr, 6 mil and a full NMC and was not just shopping to assess the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad