News Article: Matt Murray on LTIR

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
We got very lucky with Washington releasing Sammy.

Regardless Goaltending is improved from last year, let’s hope our goalie doesn’t impload in game 4 in Tampa this year like he did last year.

I know it was extremely loud in Amalie, but you gotta show up.

Sammy will get it done.

Kane… can be the game breaker we need so that guys like Paul.. a player I have never heard of before game 7, and only on Leafs hf since game 7.. don’t become a legend.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He's eligible to return within a week, and latest update is he's progressing well.
They also thought he was doing well practicing and sitting on the bench for 5 straight games and he didn’t even last the full pre game warmup. What makes you think he will be ant better this time.

Reactions: Al14

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
They also thought he was doing well practicing and sitting on the bench for 5 straight games and he didn’t even last the full pre game warmup. What makes you think he will be ant better this time.
Players gets injured sometimes. Especially goalies. That's no reason to irrationally think they're going to stay injured forever.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This guy is alway injured so it is reasonable to question his durability
He's not "always" injured, and no, it's not reasonable to assume he'll be gone the rest of the year when everything says he's on track with his recovery and eligible to come off LTIR in a week.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
He's not "always" injured, and no, it's not reasonable to assume he'll be gone the rest of the year when everything says he's on track with his recovery and eligible to come off LTIR in a week.
Yeah but he's injured a whole lot.

Ofc he's not 'always' injured. But he sure as hell isn't reliable.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah but he's injured a whole lot.
Ofc he's not 'always' injured. But he sure as hell isn't reliable.
Murray has been injured an above average amount the last few years, but he's been pretty reliable on the ice for us when healthy and has brought a positive goaltending impact to the team, which we didn't have from any goalie last year. The most important thing is that he's healthy for the playoffs, the main reason for his acquisition. A stretch of above average injuries doesn't mean he's going to remain injured forever, especially when he's on track and approaching a return.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I believe it has more to do with mental health issues rather than a physical injury , I mean how often can you get injured in warmup or in practice ?

It’s not like he had played recently when he pulled himself from his latest start and if was injured then why was he backing up Sammy ?

I remember reading he hasn’t been the same since his father passed away , whether that’s true or not it sure seems that way . Hopefully for his sake he can overcome whatever he’s dealing with regardless of how he performs on the ice .

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
iu

"Please excuse my interruption to your conversation but did I just see YOU imply our oft-injured goalie is injury prone?"

• Haha
Reactions: Al14

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Murray has been injured an above average amount the last few years, but he's been pretty reliable on the ice for us when healthy and has brought a positive goaltending impact to the team, which we didn't have from any goalie last year. The most important thing is that he's healthy for the playoffs, the main reason for his acquisition. A stretch of above average injuries doesn't mean he's going to remain injured forever, especially when he's on track and approaching a return.
hes been pretty reliable for us when healthy yes buttttt.... this dude in four seasons has played 38 games as a season high..... and he's been brilliant in some games and godawful in a few. a 911 isn't great. Its meh. And then add on top you're paying 4.5M for a dude who is injured a LOT it's a no brainer that he's not the best use of cap dollars.

I'm not so sure it's great if he's healthy for the playoffs. I don't trust a goalie who has barely seen game action to just turn it on when the games are at their highest intensity. I would continue to roll with sammy.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
We’re not acruing cap space so it makes no point for him to come on ltir just to be back off it in a week

The only real benefit is fitting his cap hit back in after a trade.

He's not on ltir for only like a week or so because it would most likely make 0 cap sense to do that anyways

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah, pretty unreliable guy to have in the position that requires the most reliability.
It would come as no surprise if he's Dubas annual selection to pay a premium to dump him.

Last edited:

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
I'm assuming he's just going to be on ltir for next year so we don't need to pay to dump him or Muzzin

It was still dumb to bet our season on him however. Sammy better hold up or were going to be trading a third for big save Dave again

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
hes been pretty reliable for us when healthy yes buttttt.... this dude in four seasons has played 38 games as a season high..... and he's been brilliant in some games and godawful in a few. a 911 isn't great. Its meh. And then add on top you're paying 4.5M for a dude who is injured a LOT it's a no brainer that he's not the best use of cap dollars.

I'm not so sure it's great if he's healthy for the playoffs. I don't trust a goalie who has barely seen game action to just turn it on when the games are at their highest intensity. I would continue to roll with sammy.
For the record, he's 22nd in goalie cap hit and 23rd in total GSAx, so regardless of game number, I think the perception of the overall value we've gotten for his cap expenditure has been skewed by the amazing value we're getting out of Samsonov. You can do a lot, lot, lot worse with goalies, and Murray brings a playoff history on top of that that a lot of other goalies do not.

We've got a pretty great team and made two big deadline additions even with his cap on the books, and given how our past few playoff series have gone, it's mind-boggling to me that people can't recognize the value of Murray. Depending on how the last third of the season goes, I may start Samsonov in the playoffs too, but even in that case, for the first time in the Matthews era, we actually have somebody to turn to if our starter isn't playing well or gets injured, and I value that more than most deadline additions we could make. Add on top that he has a history of not only starting in the playoffs, but winning in the playoffs, and maybe more importantly, coming up clutch in the critical, high-pressure moments that our goalies have horrifically failed in over the past half-decade.

In the offseason, we may have better ways to allocate our money, and a bit more confidence in Samsonov moving forward as a starter, so maybe we move on from him, but he's not going anywhere this year, so instead of pretending for some reason like he's going to be injured forever and he sucks, let's appreciate having two goalies providing the team positive impact for the first time in the Matthews era, and cheer him on to get healthy and help us win.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I'm assuming he's just going to be on ltir for next year so we don't need to pay to dump him or Muzzin

It was still dumb to bet our season on him however. Sammy better hold up or were going to be trading a third for big save Dave again
The Leafs could buy him out for the cap savings if it came to that.

Reactions: TMLAM34

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
The Leafs could buy him out for the cap savings if it came to that.

Why would we do that and have his cap hit on our books for multiple years when we can just ltir him next year and basically have it for none. Tell him ltir or Marles

Even if we send him to the minor's the buyout doesn't save that much

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Why would we do that and have his cap hit on our books for multiple years when we can just ltir him next year and basically have it for none. Tell him ltir or Marles

Even if we send him to the minor's the buyout doesn't save that much
He would have to be injured to stay on LTIR.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We’re not acruing cap space so it makes no point for him to come on ltir just to be back off it in a week
The only real benefit is fitting his cap hit back in after a trade.
He's not on ltir for only like a week or so because it would most likely make 0 cap sense to do that anyways
Him being moved to LTIR meant that we didn't have to immediately waive one of Anderson or Benn after the trade. That's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad