Matt Murray Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I'd rather listen to Coldplay for a month on repeat than read another ridiculous "statistical analysis" that's really just a thinly veiled attempt to diminish Murray.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There's really nothing that can diminish Murray at this point.

His numbers have been elite from the second he touched pro ice, and at 23 has backstopped the team to a feat that hasn't been accomplished in 2 decades with a feat that's never been accomplished by a rookie goalie in the history of the NHL.

The best anyone can come up with is a bogus glove hand "book" on him that's no worse than any other goalie and that the best teams in the league haven't been able to exploit to any advantage for the entirety of his pro career.

It's nothing but white noise from a disillusioned bunch of Fleury acolytes. It's funny to watch them firing Nerf guns at Fort Knox.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

His numbers have been elite from the second he touched pro ice, and at 23 has backstopped the team to a feat that hasn't been accomplished in 2 decades with a feat that's never been accomplished by a rookie goalie in the history of the NHL.

The best anyone can come up with is a bogus glove hand "book" on him that's no worse than any other goalie and that the best teams in the league haven't been able to exploit to any advantage for the entirety of his pro career.

It's nothing but white noise from a disillusioned bunch of Fleury acolytes. It's funny to watch them firing Nerf guns at Fort Knox.

Not even nerf guns.

hqdefault.jpg

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

He also made AHL history, so making history is in his blood.:laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I love the stuff from Dierks. That is all the fun of sports. Kudos to Mur and Dierks for being good sports.

I'm rewatching Game 6 for the 3rd time. I cannot believe how unreal Murray was. Might be one of the best performances I've seen from a goalie. Just dominating.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Penguins success seems to be largely predicated on reducing Fleury's impact. Observe the team's outcomes during the Crosby-Malkin era:

2006-2007: Lost in the first round (Fleury is unquestioned starter)
2007-2008: Lost Stanley Cup final (Fleury injured, shares net with Conklin and Sabu)
2008-2009: Won Stanley Cup final (Fleury is unquestioned starter)
2009-2010: Lost in second round (Fleury is unquestioned starter)
2010-2011: Lost in the first round (Fleury is unquestioned starter)
2011-2012: Lost in the first round (Fleury is unquestioned starter)
2012-2013: Lost in the EC Finals (Fleury is replaced by Vokoun early in the playoffs)
2013-2014: Lost in second round (Fleury is unquestioned starter)
2014-2015: Lost in the first round (Fleury is unquestioned starter)
2015-2016: Won Stanley Cup Final (Fleury injured, replaced by Murray shortly before playoffs)
2016-2017: Won Stanley Cup Final (Murray is starter, replaced Fleury in ECF)

Every time Fleury was replaced in some capacity, they made it at least as far as the ECF. The first Stanley Cup also looks like a weird outlier here; every other year that Fleury was the unquestioned starter, the team didn't make it past the second round.

Dude held the Pens back for ten years. Anyone who misses him does so for reasons other than hockey.

Now, Mods, please euthanize my thread. I didn't start it to be another stin
king Fleury thread.

Fact of the matter is that Murray came in relief of Fleury and won the Cup for the Pens, not once but twice.

Stanley Cup or Nothing dude.

Didn't come here to rip Fleury, but these posts are true.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Didn't come here to rip Fleury, but these posts are true.

Well if it wasn't for Fleury's play in the first two rounds this year, Murray wouldn't have even had a chance to dress for a game. Fleury is the biggest reason we beat the capitals and got to the ECF

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Well if it wasn't for Fleury's play in the first two rounds this year, Murray wouldn't have even had a chance to dress for a game. Fleury is the biggest reason we beat the capitals and got to the ECF

True true. Never disputed that in any form!

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
So I thought I'd do a "humble brag" and talk about this photo op I helped setup but the credit really goes to Matt Murray who first inspired the kid with his work with the Humane Society and then for showing up once he heard about what the kid was doing to follow in his footsteps.

Then Matt Murray and the Penguins retweeted it.

What started as something I thought would be a cool surprise for this little kid ended up being a whirlwind 24 hours as I was contacted by the NHL Network, NHL.com, NHL on NBC, TSN, The Score, WPIX (Pittsburgh NBC Affiliate), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and various other media outlets. I literally got nothing done yesterday just talked to media personnel about this story.

You can read a more complete story here:

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I get we have a few months to waste, but man oh man, it's like the Gods gave Murray AND Fleury fans a reason to unite once and for all, and people refuse to take advantage of it.

Murray gets hurt

MAF saves the day. We do not win rounds 3 and 4 if he hadn't practically stole rounds 1 and 2

Murray comes in after MAF falters. Comes up solid in several games, including game 6 against Nasvhille.

What's the problem here? If there was a trophy given to best goalie of the playoffs, the Murray and MAF would have shared it and no one would have batted an eye.

Last edited by a moderator:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
The fact that Fleury had to steal round 2 is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy though. His horrendous rebound control was the reason why the entire team had to collapse within 5 feet of him for almost the entire series, and thus, could never really find their game.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
So I thought I'd do a "humble brag" and talk about this photo op I helped setup but the credit really goes to Matt Murray who first inspired the kid with his work with the Humane Society and then for showing up once he heard about what the kid was doing to follow in his footsteps.

Then Matt Murray and the Penguins retweeted it.

What started as something I thought would be a cool surprise for this little kid ended up being a whirlwind 24 hours as I was contacted by the NHL Network, NHL.com, NHL on NBC, TSN, The Score, WPIX (Pittsburgh NBC Affiliate), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and various other media outlets. I literally got nothing done yesterday just talked to media personnel about this story.

You can read a more complete story here:

That's really cool.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I kind of like seeing him play around 40-50 games max. If Niemi doesn't stink, it'll keep Murray fresher for the playoffs, I hope he's working on strength so he doesn't get injured as often.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Was just re-watching Games 5 and 6 and I cannot find enough praise to give to Murray. Back to back shut outs to give him back to back Cups.

The guy could stink the bed or get injured and I honestly won't get too bent out of shape. He's a huge part of our 2 Cups in 16 and 17. Anything else is just beautiful.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Was just re-watching Games 5 and 6 and I cannot find enough praise to give to Murray. Back to back shut outs to give him back to back Cups.

The guy could stink the bed or get injured and I honestly won't get too bent out of shape. He's a huge part of our 2 Cups in 16 and 17. Anything else is just beautiful.

you beautiful fanboy you. making me feel sane every day... :)

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

That's exactly it - there really isn't enough praise.

Yes our offense showed up when they had to. Yes the D showed up when they had to. But Murray up stood on his ****ing head after Nashville stole all the momentum and knotted up the series 2-2.

Back-to-back shutouts. To win the Cup.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not even considering what Murray does in the regular season, his playoff stats are up there among the best of all time. I don't think he gets nearly enough praise for just how damn good he's been in the playoffs.

Career numbers:
31 starts, 22-9, 1.95 GAA, .928 save pct., 4 shutouts

Absolutely tremendous.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Was listening to NHL Radio and they, forget who it was, said they don't think Murray is Top 5. Like... what else does the guy have to do besides win Cups?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Some say he sucks the moisture from ducks, and if you lick his chest it tastes exactly the same as piccalilli. All we know is he’s called the Stig!

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Oh Matt Murray, that lanky Cold play loving hipster, yeah he's alright I guess. He's no Mark Andrey Floorie, I'll tell you what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad