Player Discussion: Matt Martin

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
You must be a blast at parties. FYI, my phone was having a fit that day, after it went for a brief dip in the pool. It was tough to even write a coherent thought, let alone be proper. As for your request, no. It is a message board. If it bothers you, don’t read what I have to say. Sometimes I choose to use proper grammar and punctuation and sometimes I don’t care. Depends on the mood I’m in. Also, if you want to play grammar police, maybe start your sentence off with a capital letter bud. Take care.

I wasn’t bothered, I didn’t read what you said. My time is too valuable to sift through your stream of consciousness.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I wasn’t bothered, I didn’t read what you said. My time is too valuable to sift through your stream of consciousness.
If your time is too valuable, maybe you should stay off here all together. You can go attempt to be condescending to other people. Didn’t read what I wrote, but stopped to comment about my lack of punctuation ? Yes, it certainly sounds like your time is VeRy valuable. Unless you have something hockey related to discuss with me going forward, keep your opinion to yourself. I’m here to discuss hockey with my fellow islander fans. Simple.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't know if Matt will be back next season, but he's going out with a bang. 2 goals thus far. Still a ways to go these playoffs. He is a big part of bringing this team together, no coincidence when he returned home. If this is his last season on Long Island. I for one will miss MattyMarts.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I don't know if Matt will be back next season, but he's going out with a bang. 2 goals thus far. Still a ways to go these playoffs. He is a big part of bringing this team together, no coincidence when he returned home. If this is his last season on Long Island. I for one will miss MattyMarts.
He'll be back on a team friendly deal until he retires and takes a position in the org or at MSG

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He'll be back on a team friendly deal until he retires and takes a position in the org or at MSG
Even for a team like the Isles highest cap hit is 7M. It's going to be hard for the Isles. The Ladd deal is a real pain. I hope you are right. But I don't see it, unless he takes a lower AVV for a year or 2. I agree he would make a great analyst somewhere.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Even for a team like the Isles highest cap hit is 7M. It's going to be hard for the Isles. The Ladd deal is a real pain. I hope you are right. But I don't see it, unless he takes a lower AVV for a year or 2.
He left for money last time and didn't have a good experience. Sydney and her family are here and he has a daughter to take care of now. I just don't see them not working something out.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Sadly, I think we're looking at the last few games for Matt Martin as an Islander. Love that guy. Not sure what he would get on the open market, but he certainly isn't worth the 2.5 he's getting now. In fact he's really not worth more than the 1M Johnston is getting...And probably Lou views him at the Martin replacement.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
He left for money last time and didn't have a good experience. Sydney and her family are here and he has a daughter to take care of now. I just don't see them not working something out.

Unfortunately I don't see a spot for him, I'd be happy to have him on a two way deal so he can be stashed in BP until injuries show up but not sure he'd be open to that. He's probably too young to hang'em up but love to have him get a suit job in the org if he wants.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

write it down, he's cheap and Lou knows how important chemistry is

same reason we keep Zeke. i don't care what line he's on, an extra million or two won't break the bank

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Sadly, I think we're looking at the last few games for Matt Martin as an Islander. Love that guy. Not sure what he would get on the open market, but he certainly isn't worth the 2.5 he's getting now. In fact he's really not worth more than the 1M Johnston is getting...And probably Lou views him at the Martin replacement.
If you consider at least 14 more games ‘a few’

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
If other guys were gone from the payroll I would say keep him. I say he is a Ranger next season . 2 year 2.5 mill total. Hurts to say that but Heals and Flats,chic parm , Richie Pilon , and Patty LaLa all felt the lights on Broadway.
Then in a few years he can open Mattys Sandwich Shop on Long Island and we will all go visit him. LGI

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If other guys were gone from the payroll I would say keep him. I say he is a Ranger next season . 2 year 2.5 mill total. Hurts to say that but Heals and Flats,chic parm , Richie Pilon , and Patty LaLa all felt the lights on Broadway.
Then in a few years he can open Mattys Sandwich Shop on Long Island and we will all go visit him. LGI

It would make me sick to see him wear a Rags jersey, but you're right. He's not done and he is only 31. I hope he goes to NJ or something instead to finish his career.

When his career is over, he'll settle back on LI. He is absolutely beloved and for good reason.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

And that would make Boomer happy

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

I’m hoping the Devils make him an offer but unfortunately I could see the Rangers giving him that deal, keeping him in the area, essentially the same per year money he’s making now, so he doesn’t take a pay cut.

He’s a perfect example of what sucks - 4th liners getting older, needing/wanting/deserving to get paid, but not fitting in under the cap. Tough decision.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It would make me sick to see him wear a Rags jersey, but you're right. He's not done and he is only 31. I hope he goes to NJ or something instead to finish his career.

When his career is over, he'll settle back on LI. He is absolutely beloved and for good reason.
Yeah I am with you PW, it would be painful seeing him in a Rangers uniform, but I would be happy for Matt, his family wife+dog, and which just grew by 1, a baby. I have a soft spot for him, I remember how sad I felt for him when he sat out his last half of the year because the Leafs deemed him obsolete, funny how that has changed? He never complained, really admired this about Matt. He's a guy I really have grown to respect. I always said this, something about the Isles logo and those 3 guys on the ID line that just work, when he was gone the other 2 did not fare as well. It's just one of those things, enjoy it one last time if this is the last waltz.

Reactions: buud

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If you consider at least 14 more games ‘a few’

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Reactions: Big L

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

It would hurt so much to see him in a Rags jersey.

A small part of me might want to root for the Rags if that happened.

Nah. Not in a million years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad