Confirmed with Link: Matt Hunwick out this season

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I think most fans base thoughts on the premise that when pro athletes have to retire from injury, that the injury isn't a major life altering problem that devalues their quality of life. Usually if it is that bad, some story comes out to make it known.

So even if posters here say, "Good he's gone, Sabres need that cap space" I still assume they hope he can live a nice life that's relatively pain free. Making those safe assumptions results in less complicated threads.

Reactions: Rasmi

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I think most fans base thoughts on the premise that when pro athletes have to retire from injury, that the injury isn't a major life altering problem that devalues their quality of life. Usually if it is that bad, some story comes out to make it known.

So even if posters here say, "Good he's gone, Sabres need that cap space" I still assume they hope he can live a nice life that's relatively pain free. Making those safe assumptions results in less complicated threads.

I wish that was a safe assumption, but there's been a few comments here that make me think that is not an assumption I can make. There seems to be a complete disconnect between the reality of the situation as it pertains to a human life and the fandom of a professional sports franchise.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I wish that was a safe assumption, but there's been a few comments here that make me think that is not an assumption I can make. There seems to be a complete disconnect between the reality of the situation as it pertains to a human life and the fandom of a professional sports franchise.
There's a huge disconnect and a healthy dose of bitterness. Big money changed the way people relate to professional sports. We live in an era where loyalty is a rare commodity and everything is for sale to highest bidder. Players changed from being members of a community to mercenaries for hire. Every time there's a work stoppage it's made clear they don't give a rat's ass about the fans. All they care about is the fan's money. Some actually hired people to walk the picket line for them. How many fans can relate to that? The combines are a meat market, we obsess over player salaries, and try to express everything players do with numbers. We've systematically dehumanized professional sports and the process is relentless. I don't agree with the lack of empathy for Hunwick, but I can understand it. This would make a good topic for Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I love the points you bring up in your post. I would like to defend one point you made about the players though. The last three work stoppages the players have been locked out by the owners who were trying to take more money and rights from the them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad