Confirmed with Link: Matt Hunwick out this season

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Imagine saying this in any other workplace. "My colleague has a condition that prevents him from doing his job! YES!"

If that colleague was an impediment to organizational success (but was otherwise embedded in their position), I would typically term it as a "blessing in disguise," but the sentiment would be the same. It would be an opportunity to re-evaluate the position and find a better fit. I have absolutely said this in similar circumstances. We are all replaceable resources in a larger machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: brian_griffin

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
I can sympathize with both the people who get paid peanuts and the ones paid millions thanks. A persons ability to empathize with someones condition doesn't have to be based on whether or not they make less than 100k a year.

Additionally the same people who don't give a **%^ about any given person's pain/situation....are typically the same ones who look for sympathy the moment they encounter the same thing.

Edit: The other funny part is the "they knew the risks" excuse. I'm fairly certain the veterans/carpenters/construction workers also knew the risks. They just get paid far less. Therefore this excuse is BS unless you want to exclude the second group as well as the players.

Reactions: NEcoli

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Edit: The other funny part is the "they knew the risks" excuse. I'm fairly certain the veterans/carpenters/construction workers also knew the risks. They just get paid far less. Therefore this excuse is BS unless you want to exclude the second group as well as the players.

A hockey player has to listen to their heart, not their wallet.

Reactions: Samsonite23

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
They knew the risk involved playing contact sport at a professional level.
We know the risk involved.

You as a spectator can and should blame yourself as much as the guy doing it.

I know it sounds clichee, but it's the system..
All of the lawsuits (and subsequent settlements) and coverups would indicate that no, players don't actually know the risks involved at all. Look at boxing compared to what it used to be. Look at participation rates in football dropping as it becomes more and more clear just how dangerous it is.

Beyond that, when you look at when players start down the path that leads to becoming a professional athlete, at that time they aren't really even capable of assessing long term risk and making decisions about it, regardless of how much information is actually available.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Can't believe how some in this thread are acting like Hunwick is some kind of albatross contract that was/is screwing the team.

If he was healthy he would simply be waived & that would be the end of it.

I hope his injuries aren't serious & he has a good life after hockey.

Reactions: TheStorm and jc17

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Matt Hunwick t-shirts will be available for pre-order for $59. If combined with the purchase of a 50th anniversary commemorative jersey ($255), the price for both is $300.

tshirt.jpg

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
All of the lawsuits (and subsequent settlements) and coverups would indicate that no, players don't actually know the risks involved at all. Look at boxing compared to what it used to be. Look at participation rates in football dropping as it becomes more and more clear just how dangerous it is.

Beyond that, when you look at when players start down the path that leads to becoming a professional athlete, at that time they aren't really even capable of assessing long term risk and making decisions about it, regardless of how much information is actually available.
I understand it, it's like smoking. But even back then people knew that is was not healthy, no it was dangerous for you and bad for your health. They just didn't know how bad it was.
The same goes for football, hockey, etc.. They definitely knew it was dangerous, especially if their parents or relatives also played (professionally).

Even to this day, look at some of the former players, well known or almost unknown, and how they got their own kids into playing the sport.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I mean it is significantly different.

I dont love that people celebrate the injury but its pretty clear that people who are happy aren't happy he's hurt, they're happy the team could be better. Of course, health is more important than hockey, but 99% of the average fan's exposure is to the on-ice product.

Yup. I wouldn't wish for any player to get hurt, but I also definitely won't miss watching Hunwick play for the Sabres.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
That's not true. What if the other driver messed up that much that you can't react in time? What about ghost drivers? Sometimes it's not you, it's the other participant.
Same goes for the seatbelt. Sometimes you die because the guy in the backseat is not buckled in and kills you crashing forward.
Lol. Seems like you get it but you don't realize you get it yet.

Don't worry, you'll move past victim blaming eventually.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It may be good for the team but to say it's great news is a bit tactless regardless of meaning

Exactly. I hope he’s able to have a full and impact free remainder of his post-playing career and life. I hope whatever this problem is doesn’t torment him, and impinge on his quality of existence. It’s fine to be jaded about what happens on the ice, there’s no call the actively celebrate till the following someone. We are better than that.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Exactly. I hope he’s able to have a full and impact free remainder of his post-playing career and life. I hope whatever this problem is doesn’t torment him, and impinge on his quality of existence. It’s fine to be jaded about what happens on the ice, there’s no call the actively celebrate till the following someone. We are better than that.

Especially in light of the fate of people like Steve Montador. Not saying Hunwick’s situation is the same, but they’re people and deserve as much of a pain-free existence as the rest of us.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
How many millions of dollars do people in your office retire with when they have something like this happen to them?

Money is not the be-all, end-all. Would your rather have a small savings and good health or 3 million dollars and not be able to turn your head to the left or right more than 10 degrees in either direction?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Also sometimes your colleague's are really bad at their job and everything goes better when they aren't there.

Bad at their jobs, sure, but not bad people- like that's what's messed up here. If you're first thought and first response is "good" then your mentality is f***ed. It's someone injured, the fact that it helps our team should be secondary. It doesn't even really need to be said.

Hope Hunwick is alright, I don't wish a debilitating injury on my worst of colleagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad