Confirmed with Link: Matt Greene on Waivers for Buyout

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
I know everyone is saying hes going to be in the minors but I wouldn't be surprised to see Scuderi playing on the bottom pairing to start the season

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
That would be dumb. The numbers are almost identical to Greene but we're only paying half the salary. And we'd get a 900k credit if he goes to the minors.

Do they have to waive him to send him down? Unless he's waived in the next few hours they aren't buying him out if I'm not mistaken.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I know everyone is saying hes going to be in the minors but I wouldn't be surprised to see Scuderi playing on the bottom pairing to start the season

I wouldn't be suprised to see him paired with Doughty.:)

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
Appreciate what Greene contributed from 08-12, but just like with Richards and Stoll, there should have been no consideration whatsoever to re-sign him when his contract was up. Four years was just ludicrous.

The Kings were comfortable committing 10 years and about $45m to Greene and Richards after the 2014 season, just let that sink in.

Have to agree about the contract length being surprising when announced. But I have a feeling DL uses contracts like Greene and Brown to both reward player loyalty and display team loyalty to players for the rest of the team and league to see. Part of the whole culture of being a King thing..

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I liked Greene a lot but his foot speed is probably the slowest on the team and he is now very injury prone. I hope he can get himself back in the game and nab a contract with another team. This is actually a good move though. We can use the cap space.

losingsand

Apr 13, 2007
Pasadena, ca
--great leader
--great locker room guy
--tough as nails
BUT:
that contract should NOT have been signed for that term and that length in the first place. Now we've got another buyout on our hands

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-kings-matt-greene-20160630-snap-story.html
NHL free agency opens Friday, and the Kings were among several teams to use the buyout waiver mechanism. The move regarding Greene and the others was first reported by Bob McKenzie of the Canadian cable network TSN.

But it doesn’t mean Greene has necessarily played his last game with the Kings.

“It’s an option but it doesn’t mean we’re going to go that route [of a buyout],” Kings General Manager Dean Lombardi told The Times. “You’ve got a limited period so you see what is potentially out there. It gives you a little more flexibility if you want to go that route.

“It’s a mechanism to look at all of your options.”

How funny/sad will it be if they fail to sign any UFAs and opt not to buyout Matt Greene?

Lombardi learned a hard lesson here, while it is noble to be loyal to the team that won you two Cups, it is better to retain your top players and make some sacrifices in order to remain on top. See: the Chicago Blackhawks.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-kings-matt-greene-20160630-snap-story.html

How funny/sad will it be if they fail to sign any UFAs and opt not to buyout Matt Greene?

Lombardi learned a hard lesson here, while it is noble to be loyal to the team that won you two Cups, it is better to retain your top players and make some sacrifices in order to remain on top. See: the Chicago Blackhawks.

Interesting, so basically DL is going to see what his cap looks like after Free Agency before deciding whether to buy out Greene.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Interesting, so basically DL is going to see what his cap looks like after Free Agency before deciding whether to buy out Greene.

I think the buyout deadline is today, or at least they have to file the paperwork. It has to be before free agency starts, otherwise teams would be buying players out after other teams rosters are basically set, making it impossible for them to find a spot. Or at least I think that's how it works.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Well this is surprising :blush: Surprising because of DL's usual loyalty. But as hard as it must be for him, I can understand it...

I just hope we sign some decent D now. It seems like we have $6M in cap space.

Thanks for everything, Matt

XXTTXJHTVJUDTTW.20140614044813.jpg

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I think the buyout deadline is today, or at least they have to file the paperwork. It has to be before free agency starts, otherwise teams would be buying players out after other teams rosters are basically set, making it impossible for them to find a spot. Or at least I think that's how it works.

Yes, it's between 15 and 30 June (if I remember correctly). You cannot buy out forever.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
Dude bought me a coffee and shot the **** for like 30 minutes at the beach one day. Just a super nice, funny, genuine dude who was beastly enough to get hit by a jeep and play the same day, that tells you everything you need to know about how he plays the game.

I'll never forget the time I was at Tip-a-King and Greene walked up to our table, Miller Lite in hand, stuck out his hand and said "Hi, I'm Matt" :nod: I was thinking "yeah, dude, I know who you are!" :laugh:
He was just treating the fan event like he was just randomly meeting people at a bar. Really a good guy.

Side note: the other super friendly guy I met that day? Denis Gauthier, believe it or not. :)

Although some here poo-poo the importance of being good in the room, Greene was a HUGE part of the Kings leadership group, the loud yang to Brown's quiet Yin. This really is a major change in the team's leadership this year.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Maybe Lombardi is waiting to see if there's a team out there that would rather pick him up off waivers and buy him out or maybe even trade for him and buy him out and maybe the kings could get a useful piece ala Fraser for a guy they're going to get rid of anyway.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Should have not brought Richards back and signed Mitchell.

Lose Voynov but still have Mitchell for 2015 along with Regher. Probably make the playoffs.

Should not have brought back Richards, signed Mitchell, and converted Voynov to a peaceful Buddhist.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Maybe Lombardi is waiting to see if there's a team out there that would rather pick him up off waivers and buy him out or maybe even trade for him and buy him out and maybe the kings could get a useful piece ala Fraser for a guy they're going to get rid of anyway.

Most likely. We'll know first thing tomorrow morning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad