Confirmed with Link: Matt Greene on Waivers for Buyout

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
What? I don't understand the point of buying him out... He probably would have been on LTIR anyway, no?

The 2.5 mil we have in dead cap space really sucks...

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
What? I don't understand the point of buying him out... He probably would have been on LTIR anyway, no?

Maybe that's exactly why they bought him out, didn't want him/needed the cap space and he is healthy enough that they won't be able to LTIR him from day 1 of the season.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood

No he wouldn't since he was ready to go. You can't buyout someone that would have gone LTIR considering that meant the player was injured and unable to compete.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

If he was hurt they couldn't buy him out, you can't just put whoever you want on LTIR, and they save about $1.7m this year by buying him out.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Greene is a great guy, but I totally get this move. He's always injured and that doesn't help us at all. Lombardi is finally ignoring his heart.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Thanks for the memories, Matt.

While thinking the money is freed up to get Polak, Demers, or a defenseman, it could be that it is more to offer for a forward in the lke of: Eriksson, Okposo, Ladd.

Looks like Gravel has a spot penciled in. Not sure if they would go with Forbort too. I also hope they don't sign Schenn or Polak, but try to get one of the young defensemen mentioned in recent articles - Folin, etc.

Is there enough money to sign a forward and Demers?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

he must not be injured. You cannot buy out a player who is injured.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
4 years and all that remains from the 1st Cup team defense is Doughty & Martinez. Not counting Scuderi as he left and is most likely AHL bound.
****ing Voynov.

Forget 2012, from just 2 years ago, the Kings have Doughty, Martinez, and Muzzin left. Of course, both years had basically the same defensive unit. So nothing changed for about 2 years, and then half the defense is gone in another 2 years for various reasons. The blink of an eye.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Thanks for the memories, Matt.

While thinking the money is freed up to get Polak, Demers, or a defenseman, it could be that it is more to offer for a forward in the lke of: Eriksson, Okposo, Ladd.

Looks like Gravel has a spot penciled in. Not sure if they would go with Forbort too. I also hope they don't sign Schenn or Polak, but try to get one of the young defensemen mentioned in recent articles - Folin, etc.

Is there enough money to sign a forward and Demers?

Not even close. Some have talked about Okposo getting $7M (or close), so Eriksson and Ladd will probably be close to that. While Demers will probably be $5M+.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'd rather have Schenn back than sign Polak.

I agree...but not sure why that is here.

Greene was a great warrior for the kings, but his time is up. I was surprised he got the length of deal he did on this contract, and I was against it at the time.

Still wish him the best and hope if he still wants to play he finds a home somewhere (out of conference)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Aww, dang. He was great with the fans.

Tough business, sometimes.

Dude bought me a coffee and shot the **** for like 30 minutes at the beach one day. Just a super nice, funny, genuine dude who was beastly enough to get hit by a jeep and play the same day, that tells you everything you need to know about how he plays the game.

I hope he can rehab and play a bit more and go out on his own terms. He's up there with some of my favorite Kings ever, totally perfect in his role until the injuries started piling up and even then may have been the best pure bottom-pairing d-man in the league at his peak.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
4 years and all that remains from the 1st Cup team defense is Doughty & Martinez. Not counting Scuderi as he left and is most likely AHL bound.
****ing Voynov.

4-5 years is an eternity in hockey roster-dom though, but point certainly taken.

how crazy is it to think that Muzzin wasn't even here for 2012?

I'd rather have Schenn back than sign Polak.

I'd rather put them both in a cage and let them fight to the death and Old Yeller the loser than have either one even taping our sticks.

niomosy

May 23, 2012
Not unexpected, really. I know Scuds was the talk but I was figuring on both being moved somehow.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Scuds was never the talk...the guy counts for next to nothing if he goes down to the AHL. If he refuses and retires, then that is just fine as well. Prefer he plays in Ontario, helps the youngsters and also hurts the caps of Pitt and Chicago.

As for Matt Greene, he's one of the greatest Kings in history. That's right. Not one of the best players, but what a great King. Guy put it all out there until his body broke down. Easily one of my favorite Kings of all time and it is a shame it is going down this way.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Scuds was never the talk...the guy counts for next to nothing if he goes down to the AHL. If he refuses and retires, then that is just fine as well. Prefer he plays in Ontario, helps the youngsters and also hurts the caps of Pitt and Chicago.

As for Matt Greene, he's one of the greatest Kings in history. That's right. Not one of the best players, but what a great King. Guy put it all out there until his body broke down. Easily one of my favorite Kings of all time and it is a shame it is going down this way.

Greene is this generations Aaron Miller. I liked Miller so that is praise. His contract was too long and does not surprise me that he tenor is ending in buyout. How many other buyouts has LA ever done?

Agree with you on Scuds. Send him down and then if someone gets injured call him up. If he gets claimed bonus, if he doesn't it's a small hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad