Confirmed with Link: Matt Greene on Waivers for Buyout

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Still my favorite picture that, through it all, embodies the way Greene was on the ice:

Vancouver+Canucks+v+Los+Angeles+Kings+fAUVIBbnpL7l.jpg

It really is one of the best pictures taken in Kings history. That's what Greene was all about, laying his body on the line for the team. Although his cap hit wasn't appreciated, I really admired his gusto. This team can use more guys of his ilk. Oh how I wish we had another guy like Ian Laperriere on this roster...

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It really is one of the best pictures taken in Kings history. That's what Greene was all about, laying his body on the line for the team. Although his cap hit wasn't appreciated, I really admired his gusto. This team can use more guys of his ilk. Oh how I wish we had another guy like Ian Laperriere on this roster...

Kings lost a lot of guts on the blueline the last few years with RR, Mitchell and Greene moving on.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Kings have to replace what Greene was good at.

Very good PK guy, and Net clearing Defender. The Kings right now have no one that excels in both areas.

Muzzin/Doughty are poor at clearing the net of bodies.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Is it too late to hope Greene never left LTIR last year?
Kings could have Pongered him for the rest of his career.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Is it too late to hope Greene never left LTIR last year?
Kings could have Pongered him for the rest of his career.

He doesn't have a linger health issue like Pronger did.

Greene would have been healthy and ready to go this up coming training camp.

Greene also(i doubt would be complicit) not agree with it, he would ask to play or be traded/buyout.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Kings lost a lot of guts on the blueline the last few years with RR, Mitchell and Greene moving on.

Don't forget Voynov and prime Scuderi. The talent the kings have lost on D in the last 3 years is stunning. I don't know if we'll ever see a more perfect defense than the one we had in 2012.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
It looks like the Kings may not buy out Matt Greene after all. It was contingent on if Lucic signed the Kings best last offer. Looks like Lucic is not going to sign with the Kings, so you may be seeing more of Matt Greene.

One has to wonder how Matt Greene feels about being potentially dumped and then not dumped.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
ok so we got Matt Greene back AND we signed Tom Gilbert??

and we couldn't even match what Dallas offered Hamhuis???

this team is really testing my patience !!!

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
I guess we need to postpone the Matt Greene Appreciation Night. Darn, I was hoping to get the bobble head.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
The buyout didn't make a lot of sense. Stretching the cap out over 4 years when the Kings may not be competitive the next 2 anyways.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
The buyout didn't make a lot of sense. Stretching the cap out over 4 years when the Kings may not be competitive the next 2 anyways.

I would think the Kings would be able to trade Greene, even if they had to retain salary and add a pick, it would be better than a buyout.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I like that we didn't buy him out. It would have been nice if we had a killer deal during the free agent frenzy, but it is best to get him off our books ASAP and just think about if Greene makes a recovery and gets back in the lineup. He maybe a 6/7 veteran defenseman with leadership and at a $2.5 million short term cap hit he may play himself into being a trade asset this season or the next. If we don't absolutely need the cap space, it is probably worth letting him play out his deal a little more.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Hamhuis would have made an ideal #4 Dman, pushing McNabb down to his rightful spot on the depth chart.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
It looks like the Kings may not buy out Matt Greene after all. It was contingent on if Lucic signed the Kings best last offer. Looks like Lucic is not going to sign with the Kings, so you may be seeing more of Matt Greene.

One has to wonder how Matt Greene feels about being potentially dumped and then not dumped.

Do you have a link, my friend? I don't have Twitter. :D Edit: Found it. Duh.

That would be very good news IMO. Because I think these recent actions by Dean have sent the wrong message around the league and thus, a once very attractive destination became no so attractive, and that's why we've seen guys we can afford and need sign elsewhere.

...unless we signed total garbage this offseason because we can't afford to due to extensions for Martinez and Toffoli. But, then again, we haven't heard any rumors about deals so far so...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad