Player Discussion Matt Dumba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I was there last night, probably the worst game I've seen an NHL defenseman play.

It happens, hope he can figure it out because they need him.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Everybody gets all hung up on mentions of Dumba's defensive deficiencies like we're saying the guy is consistently awful. At least in my case, that's not what it is. Let's say your average d-man does the right thing 90% of the time, and 1 out of every 10 times he's got the puck or needs to defend, due to a bad decision or poor skill there is a negative outcome. The number's not important, we're saying this is your average defenseman's rate. In my opinion, whatever that number is, Dumba is probably pretty close to it for offense-oriented d-men.

Now let's say that this is similar to having a cat that is intended to crap in a certain litter box. Your average cat manages to go in the box 9 out of 10 times. 1 out of 10 times, due to the need coming when it's too far away or due to what it ate or whatever, it doesn't make it into the box. Once or twice a week you find a surprise near the box, or maybe on a couch cushion. A real special case maybe seems to prefer your dining table or an open dresser drawer. You still describe these as normal cats because they're getting it in there 9 out of 10 times.

But now, let's say you've got a cat that 1 out of 10 times rakes its way up your curtains to the ceiling and like it's a goddamn superpower it stalks its way inverted to the middle of your ceiling and just starts to unload while its tail, appearing to have a whisk tied to it, bats missiles left and right with such ferocity that cat anus-smoke sets off fire alarms. When the fire truck arrives, you probably don't say "Well you see, I have this normal cat." Instead you open the door looking completely lost and staring right through the fire chief while saying "I don't even own a whisk." This is Dumba to me, and honestly I love his commitment to making the most of his 1 in 10. It's so complete that I sometimes become convinced he's not really playing hockey, but rather a bizarre triathlon in which hockey is just the first leg. The second is "just start ****ing invisible fishing from the bench" and he apparently reaches that leg of the race right in the middle of defending a 2-on-1. I don't know what the third stage is. Probably not cat crap clean-up. Only Dumba seems to know. All I know is that it's spectacular.

I'm quoting the whole thing because this has to be the best analysis of Dumba that I've seen on any media.

In all seriousness, would people still be optimistic of Dumba if he was a left handed defenseman? I feel like people give him the benefit of the doubt or bank on his potential because he plays on the side of our defense where we don't have a ton of depth. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, but sometimes I feel like he's overvalued because of which way his stick blade is curved.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I'm quoting the whole thing because this has to be the best analysis of Dumba that I've seen on any media.

In all seriousness, would people still be optimistic of Dumba if he was a left handed defenseman? I feel like people give him the benefit of the doubt or bank on his potential because he plays on the side of our defense where we don't have a ton of depth. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, but sometimes I feel like he's overvalued because of which way his stick blade is curved.
Fantastic point. If he were left-handed we would be demanding that he be shipped for a bag a pucks and Reilly be given his top-4 minutes.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If a left-handed Dumba put up back-to-back 10+ goals seasons, and had 34 points by the age of 22, I feel like my level of optimism would be fairly similar.

Reactions: TaLoN

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Dumba has been consistent with not having good starts to seasons. Last season he was almost a healthy scratch in game 4. People need to R-E-L-A-X.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Dumba has been consistent with not having good starts to seasons. Last season he was almost a healthy scratch in game 4. People need to R-E-L-A-X.

Just because he's done it before, doesn't mean we should hand waive our "top 4" defender pissing away 1/8th the season with a poor performance. Not with the kind of cash he's likely looking for next year. He's earned every bit of criticism he's got this year, and frankly over the course of his career for his poor play in the D zone.

It would be different if he was lighting up the scoreboard like Spurgeon, or even Suter. But he's not doing the one thing he's supposed to be good at, and he's failing miserably at the other thing he's supposedly "average" at (or so some people say).

He's 5 years and 240 games in. It's put up or shut up time for Dumba.

Reactions: FVM

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
He's got something like 11 shots in 10 games. Honestly, that's a big enough reason to criticize his start without even talking defensively.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Just because he's done it before, doesn't mean we should hand waive our "top 4" defender pissing away 1/8th the season with a poor performance. Not with the kind of cash he's likely looking for next year. He's earned every bit of criticism he's got this year, and frankly over the course of his career for his poor play in the D zone.

It would be different if he was lighting up the scoreboard like Spurgeon, or even Suter. But he's not doing the one thing he's supposed to be good at, and he's failing miserably at the other thing he's supposedly "average" at (or so some people say).

He's 5 years and 240 games in. It's put up or shut up time for Dumba.
It's not like players don't have bad stretches throughout the season. Hell, Staal is 33 and he was having difficulty catching and holding onto a pass last year (along with Coyle). Brodin had a season where he put up 7pts in an entire season playing top 4 minutes.

Once again (listen to the ending):

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've been both critical and complimentary of Dumba in the past. He is, without a doubt, the sort of player who will give coaches grey hair. He is also the type of guy who will score a winning goal.

The more i see of the latter, the happier i will be.

Go Dumba!

Reactions: FVM

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Way to go, Matt!

I wonder if Dumba needs to work on his pre-game routine a bit to improve his focus.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
I don't think Dumba has been any worse than Burns or Scandella were at the same age. In fact, I think he's been better - still just 23. Trending upward.

As was mentioned after the Canadiens game, when Matt keeps it simple, and doesn't try to do too much, he can be a real asset.

I have great faith in his future.

Or is it Mat?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
What does everyone think that Dumba will get in his new contract, both in amount and term?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Really hard to get a read on it at the moment. He's had really good games and some atrocious games so far. Probably going to need another 60 games to figure it out.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If it's anything over 4 million, I expect it will be with a different team.
Unfortunately, I agree. Contract-wise, it seems like one of the better things that could happen with Dumba is that he makes some strides defensively while having a down/plateau year in scoring.

The Brodin-Dumba pairing has looked much better since Dumba's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Game.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Man, I hadn't realized just how sheltered Dumba was last year in terms of zone starts. He had 34.5% dzone starts last year compared to 56.7% this year.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Man, I hadn't realized just how sheltered Dumba was last year in terms of zone starts. He had 34.5% dzone starts last year compared to 56.7% this year.

His even strength d-zone start was 47.1% last year. His PP time throws skews the overall numbers some.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
From my preliminary research, only 2 Wild defenseman have had back to back seasons of 10+ goals, Spurgeon and Dumba, these last 2 years. Not Burns, not Scandella, Kuba, Sekeras, Suter. Dumba will be 23 all year. Spurg turns 28 next week.

Dammit to hell, sometimes it takes a while to develop a great 2 way d'man.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Another goal and an assist tonight, including the OT winner. On pace for ~45 points. It'll be huge if he can continue to hold down the fort on the top pairing while Spurgeon is out.

Reactions: Minnesota

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Dumba is now tied for (d-men): 20th points, 5th goals, and 32nd assists. Even strength hes tied: 8th points, 32 assists, 2nd goals (no tie).

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Guy looked awesome last night. And has for some time now. Confidence is a crazy thing.

Maybe it's only me, when Suter/Dumba were put together, Suter became more of a presence in the the o-zone 5v5.

Dumba's so much better when he keeps things simple and just plays hockey, not overthinking things.

Reactions: Drewcifer

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
When Suter/Dumba were together, Suter just looked nervous. Like a young, budding ninja trainee at ninja school, expecting the unexpected at any time.

I think Brodin has less imagination, and goes, "Oh... this is weird..." then goes about his business trying to retrieve the puck and get it out of the zone.

I would like to think that Dumba turned a corner last night in terms of judgement, but I'm not holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad