Value of: Matt Duchene

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Big three ? Ottawa has a big one and thats about it. Big three lmao. Dont try and steal our nicknames esp when it doesent fit lmao

Considering one is a younger, softer Eberle and the other one is 5”9, I don’t think “big 3” applies here.

I believe it fits more Ottawa’s.

You could call the Leafs the “middle 4” because with Tavares added, that’s pretty much all you guys have in terms of talent and no money to spend elsewhere. I guess you guys will be able to say you have the second best team down the middle after your first roubd exit next year. It’s a good start

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Some combo of Mid 1st/Mid 1st quality prospect + Late 1st/Late first quality prospect, maybe a small add. Pretty much what Ottawa paid directly if you exclude the asinine Turris inclusion

Reactions: uncleblazer

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
The thought of the Sens being without Karlsson, Stone and Duchene after this season is INSANE. Tough to gauge which way this will go. If Duchene TRULY wanted to play for a contender and that was his real reasoning why he wanted out of Colorado, then you would assume he is gone. If that was just a line and that he wanted out for other reasons, he could potentially stay.

Grab the popcorn.

PS, He'd look great between Ehlers and Laine

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
We all know that Chiarelli is an idiot and set the Oilers back with 3 years in a row of "blockbuster" trades. Dorion traded for Duchene knowing full well that he could become a UFA in 1.5 years. Knowing this he still traded Turris (who is a better overall player) No he is not and you won't find many Sens who agree. Duchene is a #1 Center, Turris was not , a 1st (which could end up being Hughes) which we thought would have been lower since we wanted to contend, which obviously didn't happen , a 3rd Meh Bowers also Meh and Hammond he was in the AHL and making decent money doing that, so its a bonus he was added. If Duchene doesn't resign at least they can recuperate some of the loss.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
There is no need to comment on this being a bad trade.

MVP Hall vs Larsson
Signed Lucic as a replacement

Is terrible and could be considered even worse.

The only reason the Duchene trade is so bad is the unexpected team collapse and laziness in not flipping Turris directly.

They nearly made the Western Conference Finals after that trade. Sure, it looks bad after Hall wins the MVP award, but the season before that worked in their favor.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Debatable and there really is no correct answer.

Duchene, EK and Stone are all playing for extended deals which gives them a little more motivation to perform well. It's unlikely their values will be significantly different than at the TDL, I honestly think they're worth more now. Teams can at least get a full season and allow time to blend with his teammates.

Trading the players early is a drastic move to accumulate more picks and prospects and start the rebuild immediately. Sens would still be terrible, but it does allow the prospects more ice time and opportunity to gain valuable experience without any pressure.

AVs underwent a terrible season in 2017 to jettison nearly 1/3 of their team and reached the playoffs the following year. Not only do they play in the toughest division in hockey, but they're also the youngest team.

So it's possible. Sens division is not as deep and they have a stronger farm system and quickly recover. Understandably, the 1st & 3rd picks went to the AVs for 2019, but the collapse was unexpected and is only for the single year. There is no point in debating the Duchene trade along with the lost draft picks. They still have the 2020 picks and blessed with some of the best prospects in hockey.

Sens should make the trades to expedite the rebuild.
Stone is probably the only guy who they should trade now as he's coming a ppg season that he may not repeat. Duchene I still think is smarter to wait on. Karlsson is probably the toughest decision. If I were him I'd ask for a trade before training camp.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Duchene will get 8+ easily.
8 on the dot like Couture is probably what he gets I think. The real problem for the Sens is the new trend of signing bonuses and money up front. Couture for example gets 10 the first year and 9 the next two.

Fitting in EK (11 million) Stone (8 million), and Duchene (8 million) in a 68 million dollar cap is already going to be very very difficult, but if for example Ek wants 13 the first year, and Duchene/Stone want 10 the first year, it is definitely impossible. Having said that I think Duchene signs, he genuinely seems happy in Ottawa, it’s the other two that I’m not sure about.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I don't think this happens but since the thread is here what are Ottawas needs?

Obviously Carolina would have interest and could do something like Faulk + Rask for Duchene + ? Or a futures package like Bean + Gauthier/McKeown.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Ottawa would be stupid to trade him now while his value is low. Better to bank on him having a good 3/4 of a season. He may be on a bad team but he'll be motivated for his next contract.

His value is low now? It took him awhile to acclimatize after the trade, but he clicked and played well with Hoffman the last 3 months of the season, and was a PPG player during that stretch.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
His value is low now? It took him awhile to acclimatize after the trade, but he clicked and played well with Hoffman the last 3 months of the season, and was a PPG player during that stretch.
His value is lower than it could be if he went 60-70 point pace until the trade deadline.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Can’t see the Sens trading any of their 3 high end impending UFAs until around the trade deadline. I think they’re crossing their fingers hoping they can bounce back to 2016-17 form and that will be enough to entice 2/3 to re-sign (I think the Erik Karlsson situation is irreparable).

In the end, I think all 3 end up available on deadline day, but I think they’re all Sens for at least the first half of the season.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Can’t see the Sens trading any of their 3 high end impending UFAs until around the trade deadline. I think they’re crossing their fingers hoping they can bounce back to 2016-17 form and that will be enough to entice 2/3 to re-sign (I think the Erik Karlsson situation is irreparable).

In the end, I think all 3 end up available on deadline day, but I think they’re all Sens for at least the first half of the season.

This is probably exactly whats going on. No point in rushing them out until the know fully that they'll be at the bottom of the league (most likely scenario).

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Think if he gets moved it'd be at the deadline and only if he indicates he's not staying with the Sens.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
They should've* made the Western Conference Finals after that trade. Sure, it looks bad after Hall wins the MVP award, but the season before that worked in their favor.
Fixed it for you... Dont tell me it wasnt goaltender interference, it was, a few times.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Fixed it for you... Dont tell me it wasnt goaltender interference, it was, a few times.

You're right that they should've advanced through. That was a terrible way to go out while the refs put down the whistles. But at the end of the day, it didn't happen. It's still a trade that helped them get that far, whether they should've or nearly made it to the western conference finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad