Value of: Matt Duchene to New Jersey

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Duchene is a #1C though.
If you want to say there are 31 number 1 centers in the league? Then he might be, realitically, he's a 1B/2A guy at this time, similar to ROR, Kadri, Couture, Jordan Staal, Turris, Backlund, etc. You aren't happy if you are trying to build a contender with Duchene as your number 1, and he probably isn't up for the role. He's in that 21 to 45 or so range of Centers who are sub-par 1st line centers if used as such, but good to great 2nd line centers.

Reactions: tucker3434

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Not in this past half decade he isn’t. He might have been. But he isn’t now.

Out of curiosity what do you consider Hischier to be currently? Because if Duchene is a 2C then Hischier is a 3C (obviously with tons of potential)

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He wants to be in Ottawa long term and I think he will be. But not a bad proposal at all
There probably isnt a player in Ottawa that wants to be there at this point. Just players under contract, the ones without better options and those with out the right to leave

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Out of curiosity what do you consider Hischier to be currently? Because if Duchene is a 2C then Hischier is a 3C (obviously with tons of potential)

If you consider Hischier the functional equivalent of a 2C at 18-19 that's fine. Presumably he's just scratching the surface. I don't think the comparison to Duchene is relevant for this discussion.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
He Duchene are clearly a tier apart to me.
I would classify Duchene as a #1C and Hischier as a #2C.

Your classification is pretty terrible then or you’re overrating him. He hasn’t broken 60 points since he had 70 six years ago. And if you want to say points aren’t everything, it shouldn’t be too hard for a 1c to break 60 points at the very least. And clearly a tier apart? Not based on Hischiers one year in the league.

Saying it over and over again isn’t going to make it a true statement.

LifeAfterAlfie

Sep 4, 2013
There probably isnt a player in Ottawa that wants to be there at this point. Just players under contract, the ones without better options and those with out the right to leave

The Senators have lots of young talent (Chabot, White, Brown, Tkachuk, Chlapik, Wolanin, etc.) so the team may not be as bad as everyone thinks. Of course, it all depends on how the Karlsson situation resolves itself. I think a lot of people are mentally subtracting Karlsson and not replacing him with anyone. Their defense will obviously be a mess if they lose Karlsson and don't get a suitable replacement. If I was a young player, I would look at this as a big opportunity.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I would love to add Duchene but if he costs any combination of Zacha, Bratt, or Severson, then I would probably pass. Especially if he remains unsigned.

Right now the most I would be comfortable giving is Mcleod and a first.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Your classification is pretty terrible then or you’re overrating him. He hasn’t broken 60 points since he had 70 six years ago. And if you want to say points aren’t everything, it shouldn’t be too hard for a 1c to break 60 points at the very least. And clearly a tier apart? Not based on Hischiers one year in the league.

Saying it over and over again isn’t going to make it a true statement.

Likewise, saying he isn't over and over again doesn't make it true.

What criteria are you using to define a "#1C"?

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
He Duchene are clearly a tier apart to me.
I would classify Duchene as a #1C and Hischier as a #2C.
Hischier is a much much much much better center than Duchene will ever be. Hischier might have been a rookie last year, but he was still one of the top two way centers for his age. He was a +10 on the devils, a team that had a poor season the year before. Note that Duchene has never been over a +8 in a season in his entire career. Also, Hischier had 56 takeaways and only 26 giveaways. An over 2.0 ratio, and a ratio better than Duchene has ever put up in his entire career.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I have Duchene as a low end 1C right now but he'll tail off into 2C territory soon as younger guys skip past him.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
*counts # of teams*

*counts # of first lines per team*

ThERe aRe ONly 9 NuMBeR OnE CenTerS In ThE NhL

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hischier is a much much much much better center than Duchene will ever be. Hischier might have been a rookie last year, but he was still one of the top two way centers for his age. He was a +10 on the devils, a team that had a poor season the year before. Note that Duchene has never been over a +8 in a season in his entire career. Also, Hischier had 56 takeaways and only 26 giveaways. An over 2.0 ratio, and a ratio better than Duchene has ever put up in his entire career.

Holy hyperbole. You’d think you were describing McDavid. And +/-. LOL. Neither are guys likely to #1C a team to a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad