Matt Duchene is a fantastic player

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
If Ottawa can resign him, then trading Turris and this year's 1st would absolutely be worth it to retain his services.
That is in fact Turris, this years 1st rounder (on the team lowest in rankings overall thus having the best chance of it being the 1st overall pick), Andrew Hammond, Shane Bowers (1st round pick in the 2017 draft) and the Senators 3rd round pick.

There is no way to shine this particular turd.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
The real problem wasn’t the value, it was the timing. That’s not to say the value was good, because it was still bad, but it would be a lot more palatable if the team was contending. It reminds me of the Kessel trade, great player, but not one the team needed at that time. By the time the Senators are competitive again, Duchene will be past his prime while that 2019 1st rounder will he entering his.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
He'd be a pretty solid #3 scoring forward and not your #1 center; maybe like a Patrick Marleau in his prime.
Anything more and it probably means that your team is in last place.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Smoked the Jets? It’s like he’s a Predator even before the deadline.
Jk, thx for taking them down SenaPreds.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Since January 1st of 2018, he has 63 5V5 points in 91 games. The only centers with more are McDavid, Crosby, and MacKinnon. That is not a fluke. That is not random luck. That is a >400 day, >90 game time frame of him being one of the best even strength producing centers in the world.

Perhaps he won't keep this up going forward, perhaps random variance has been kind to him, perhaps he's just playing out of his head in a contract year, I don't know. I think it's fair, given his past performances and his character, to question what he will be going forward, and to be wary of signing him to a big contract long term. But this kind of production is legitimately elite among centers and it's especially impressive that he's doing it on the team he's doing it on.

And when I've watched him, he has absolutely looked like an elite #1C.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He's a very good player but I wouldn't go so far as to call him fantastic.

YearGPGAPTSPTS/GP
2009-10812431550.679
2010-11802740670.838
2011-12581414280.483
2012-13471726430.915
2013-14712347700.986
2014-15822134550.671
2015-16763029590.776
2016-17771823410.532
2017-18822732590.720
2018-19452427511.133
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
2 things for me that determine it.

1) Pick must be below 5th overall

2) Its a contract year for Duchene, obv he will be playing harder. Need to see him next year to judge

Either way the trade didn't make much sense

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
You’d have to be pretty deluded to think that Matt Duchene is worth a top-4 pick +, extension or not.

Good player, but let’s not pretend that trade was anything but one of the biggest disasters in NHL history.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
He's always been streaky. When he's on, though, one of the most fun players to watch in the league.

Selzoons

Mar 3, 2018
Since January 1st of 2018, he has 63 5V5 points in 91 games. The only centers with more are McDavid, Crosby, and MacKinnon. That is not a fluke. That is not random luck. That is a >400 day, >90 game time frame of him being one of the best even strength producing centers in the world.

Perhaps he won't keep this up going forward, perhaps random variance has been kind to him, perhaps he's just playing out of his head in a contract year, I don't know. I think it's fair, given his past performances and his character, to question what he will be going forward, and to be wary of signing him to a big contract long term. But this kind of production is legitimately elite among centers and it's especially impressive that he's doing it on the team he's doing it on.

And when I've watched him, he has absolutely looked like an elite #1C.
People might not know this but Duchene has always been an excellent even strength producer... just inconsistent. If he isn't a top 10 C in even strength production since entering the league, then he's definitely top 15. The names above him would definitely all be la crème de la crème--centers you build your cup contender around.

Power play is a different story. He's just not good. He even got dropped off the 1st PP unit in Colorado several times. His hockey sense is for a #1C is bad, which limits his ability to use his elite physical attributes.

Defensively mediocre but overall he's definitely always been a plus at even strength. But you'd like your #1C to run your power play in some capacity and he's just not capable of it. If you have a really good PP it could be mitigated.

Overall, he's a low-end #1C to an elite #1C depending on his confidence. People say attitude but his effort has almost always been there. His play comes and goes with his confidence. It's a known weakness that he hired a sports psychologist (?) to work on it in the past. Worked the season he started seeing one iirc but didn't last... Ottawa might have given him a fresh start to put all that behind him though.

Reactions: MacBradley

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
People might not know this but Duchene has always been an excellent even strength producer... just inconsistent. If he isn't a top 10 C in even strength production since entering the league, then he's definitely top 15. The names above him would definitely all be la crème de la crème--centers you build your cup contender around.

Power play is a different story. He's just not good. He even got dropped off the 1st PP unit in Colorado several times. His hockey sense is for a #1C is bad, which limits his ability to use his elite physical attributes.

Defensively mediocre but overall he's definitely always been a plus at even strength. But you'd like your #1C to run your power play in some capacity and he's just not capable of it. If you have a really good PP it could be mitigated.

Overall, he's a low-end #1C to an elite #1C depending on his confidence. People say attitude but his effort has almost always been there. His play comes and goes with his confidence. It's a known weakness that he hired a sports psychologist (?) to work on it in the past. Worked the season he started seeing one iirc but didn't last... Ottawa might have given him a fresh start to put all that behind him though.
This. Duchene’s biggest problem is that his confidence level fluctuates pretty hard and that he’s pretty bad on the PP (for his skill) Not attitude problems, not effort problems

Reactions: MacBradley

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Duchene has been great since coming to Ottawa. His first 20 games or so were a little rough, he was snake bitten. But he’s been producing at an elite level for a while in Ottawa now.

Literally everything Avs fans warned us about Duchene as a player, we never saw.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I offer you Okposo, Scandella, Nylander, and a 1st. He's having a great year and even his less successful years are noice.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Say what you want about attitude, baggage, whatever, but Matt Duchene is a great hockey player, and any team would be very lucky to have him. All of his supposed "defects" are grossly overstated IMHO.

If Ottawa can resign him, then trading Turris and this year's 1st would absolutely be worth it to retain his services.

At this point, ottawa could re-sign him for a $4m contract and it still wouldnt be worth what they gave up for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad