Matt Cooke spears Shea Weber then cross-checks him in the face

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I think we see the spear at 1:12

Are you talking the cross check? Because Weber goes for it first and when Cook goes for ithe ends glancing off of Weber's hands and cranks him in the face.

Its not like Weber's Man Chin can't take it though. That thing looks like its carved out of stone.

I'm just saying what I saw, thats it.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
I would s*** my pants if Shea Weber would look at me as angry as he was. This is a big mean man right there

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
nope...he's a piece of **** savant.

I'm just saying, that maybe...it wasn't all his fault and Shea Weber ain't as white as he's painted.

Yeah and to be fair when you go in to cross-check a guy, as Cooke and Weber were both doing, you have to accept the risk of unexpected possibilities. In this case Weber received one of those undesired outcomes. But Cooke also must expect that if he's going to spear and then catch Weber up in the nose that he's going to get pounded.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Are you talking the cross check? Because Weber goes for it first and when Cook goes for ithe ends glancing off of Weber's hands and cranks him in the face.

Its not like Weber's Man Chin can't take it though. That thing looks like its carved out of stone.

Cooke had to lift his stick high enough to hit Weber in the face though.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
nope...he's a piece of **** savant.

I'm just saying, that maybe...it wasn't all his fault and Shea Weber ain't as white as he's painted.

But you clearly are biased since you still hate Weber for bouncing Zetterbergs head off the glass like he was in the WWE.

Weber is a defenseman that is big and mean. I like Zetterberg and think that what Weber did to him was beyond stupid. Be that as it may, Cooke clearly cross checked him in the face. I dont see any stick deflection and I also saw Cooke spear Weber earlier in the clip and even in the replay. So yea, it is all Cookes fault.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I wish Weber went MMA style and through some knees at that turtling coward.

Cooke's retirement ceremony should be in an arena but the fans get to pelt him with vegetables. Rotten ones.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

No, he is talking about the spear Cooke gave Weber that caused Weber to go over to Cooke in the first place. Try watching the video again. It's around the 1:10 - 1:12 mark.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Love the Ref's reaction to Weber after the fight was over. He was like "Yeah, I know... it's Cooke..."

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

That's what I saw too. I have to wonder if the first people responding to the OP even saw the video.

CrozJawz*

Cooke had to lift his stick high enough to hit Weber in the face though.

What don't you get? Cooke and Weber both went to crosscheck each other in the chest. Weber was a little faster with the attempt, Cooke's stick bounces off Weber's gloves and stick and catches him in the face...

This is not a "defend Matt Cooke" post, it is reality. If this would have been Ovechkin or big Joe Thornton catching Weber like that, this board would be defending it as an "accident" which is exactly what it was. But since it's Cooke, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. He's earned that, but lets be reality here and realize that Cooke didn't intentionally wind up and clock Weber in the face ala McSorely on Brashear...:shakehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's what gets me about Matt Cooke. See I don't care what he does. My father started watching hockey in 50's when they barely wore equipment. I was raised on nasty hockey. I'm also a wrestling fan and I enjoy a good heel. So I never hated Cooke like most people do for his actions. Hockey can be dirty at times, I've just accepted that.

But don't sit there and tell me Matt, and those of you in the media, that this guy has cleaned up his act.

I can deal with being scum on the ice, but I get upset when you lie to my face.

Evergreen

Then he turtles when Weber drops the gloves. Cooke is like that little brat two year old who runs around kicking people in the shins and then cries to his mommy when someone yells at him.

CrozJawz*

But you clearly are biased since you still hate Weber for bouncing Zetterbergs head off the glass like he was in the WWE.

Weber is a defenseman that is big and mean. I like Zetterberg and think that what Weber did to him was beyond stupid. Be that as it may, Cooke clearly cross checked him in the face. I dont see any stick deflection and I also saw Cooke spear Weber earlier in the clip and even in the replay. So yea, it is all Cookes fault.

People always claim that Cooke is going to end someone's career with the way he plays. Maybe, but ANY play from ANY player can end someone's career. What Weber did to Zetterberg was a VERY dangerous play that could have easily broken Hank's neck.

Cooke and Weber both have reputations for being nasty and in reality, this incident is a yawner...

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I love how the Cooke apologists in this thread completely miss him spearing Weber, the act that sparked the whole thing in the first place. And you guys want to tell other people they havent watched the video lol?

Bradys Boys

Oct 30, 2014
Only ever hear about this guy whenever he does some dirty move. Glad Weber pounded him Refs should have let it go longer.

CrozJawz*

I love how the Cooke apologists in this thread completely miss him spearing Weber, the act that sparked the whole thing in the first place. And you guys want to tell other people they havent watched the video lol?

You mean to tell me that other players haven't speared someone before OR accidentally cross checked someone in the face???

Heck, Marc Staal repeatedly cross checked Crosby (who suffered a broken neck a few years back) in the back of the neck last year and this very board called it a "good hockey play"...:laugh:

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
People always claim that Cooke is going to end someone's career with the way he plays. Maybe, but ANY play from ANY player can end someone's career. What Weber did to Zetterberg was a VERY dangerous play that could have easily broken Hank's neck.

Cooke and Weber both have reputations for being nasty and in reality, this incident is a yawner...

LMAO, easily have broken his neck? That was not even remotely hard enough to have broken his neck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
I just don't understand. Does this guy go out onto the ice and seek opportunities to hurt people? Did he become a pro hockey player to get away with this crap?

It's weird because in sports you can do so much crap you can't in the real world. Spear some guy with a stick on the streets because he scored a goal on your girl and you're in jail.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I was just saying yesterday to somebody how I'm still beside myself about the hit on Savard. It's ****ing revolting.

I ****ing hate this guy. And I really ****ing hate that this guy just gets opportunity after opportunity to hurt new players, like Barrie last year and the league keeps being like "ok Matt....don't do it again....we double pinky swear we'll ban you for life if you do" only for him to keep pulling his ridiculous stunts with limited repercussions.

**** Matt Cooke, and to quote Silky Johnson of the player haters ball "I don't even know you but I hope the bad things in life happen to you and only you."

Shea Weber never has to buy a drink again if he is in the same bar as me. I was hoping he landed a few more haymakers as Cooke was trying to tunnel into the ice like the coward he is.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Watch that video again, it clearly was not intentional. It catches weber's stick, after Weber goes to shove him first.

I don't really feel bad for him though...especially after seeing him slam Zetterbergs head into the boards during the playoffs.

But, I always do like seeing Matt Cooke get his ass kicked

Agreed. Clearly not an intentional cross-check.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad