Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This one
Calvert
Dubinski
Prout

You still haven't looked at the clip from last night, have you? Calling it a stick infraction is pretty generous.

I don't know what Prout incident you're referring to.

In any case, four is a ton? OK.

Also, the Dubinsky suspension was not while Tortorella was the coach, so I fail to see how that implicates him in some pattern of behavior.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If you want to see how to properly answer a question as a coach / athlete, I think both Torts' and OV's responses are great:

Torts says what happened and apologized.

OV makes a joke about it.

Neither threw each other under the bus or disparaged each other.

This is perfect and makes me smile.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
You still haven't looked at the clip from last night, have you? Calling it a stick infraction is pretty generous.

I don't know what Prout incident you're referring to.

In any case, four is a ton? OK.

Also, the Dubinsky suspension was not while Tortorella was the coach, so I fail to see how that implicates him in some pattern of behavior.

Prout

Dubinski 11/28/15

"On October 21, 2015, Tortorella was hired to replace Todd Richards "

Have any more facts you want to present, bucko?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Calver has quickly turned his reputation into the ‘scumbag’ range

Next time he does something like this a goon or AHL guy who isnt a regular should hop the boards and kick his ass, show him he cant get away with this crap just because teams dont want to take penalties/suspensions

He will learn though, one day, not everyone cares about a suspension! The Kuhnackl one was ... just wow.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Ovechkin cheap shotted him first but Calvert is scum and shouldnt be in the NHL so good call

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Have any more facts you want to present, bucko?

Thanks for the Prout vid, slim. And I goofed on the Richards-Tortorella timeline. Even buckos make mistakes. (I like that we have nicknames for each other, now. It takes some of the formality out of these kinds of discussions.)

I'm assuming that you have no answer to my question about four being a ton? Or thoughts on what actually happened in the game last night?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Thanks for the Prout vid, slim. And I goofed on the Richards-Tortorella timeline. Even buckos make mistakes. (I like that we have nicknames for each other, now. It takes some of the formality out of these kinds of discussions.)

I'm assuming that you have no answer to my question about four being a ton? Or thoughts on what actually happened in the game last night?

I'd say 4 over the past few seasons is pretty significant, considering I follow the league pretty closely and I don't know of any team that has as much. But I'm sure it's quite coincidental that these incidents have increased under a certain head coach

The play in question last night was reckless. I'm gonna guess Calvert didn't just learn to play hockey last year and that he knows when you punch someone while you have a stick in your hand is gonna result in something bad for whatever it hits

But I'm sure he's a swell Canadian boy who's just "makin a hockey play"....

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Columbus was 4th in PDO last year with 101.2, and Pittsburgh 5th with 101.0.

DAE regression????????

Interesting you bring those 2 teams/coaches as an example as they faced each other last playoffs

Because 1 of those coaches decided a brute force tactic for the FIRST THREE GAMES of the series, was a sound approach despite going 0 for 3 himself and watching his opponent turn the other cheek consistently the previous playoff run on their way to a championship. It's like he didn't bother to watch the SC playoffs or he didn't care. Both I'd say are dereliction of duty

So tell me about Torts' tactical adjustments which leads to his teams success?

Because I know you're super smart, you'll remember that Sullivan's team was struggling against TB the previous year to the tune of a 3-2 series deficit. Because Sullivan has a brain beyond Cro mangon Torterella, he altered his team's forechecking approach and won the next 2 games

But yea that Torts is a super duper tactician who isn't in the last year of his contract because ownership knows his style wears thin quickly. Right?

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'd say 4 over the past few seasons is pretty significant, considering I follow the league pretty closely and I don't know of any team that has as much. But I'm sure it's quite coincidental that these incidents have increased under a certain head coach

Pittsburgh stick-related discipline since 2010-11

James Neal - high-sticking on PK Subban

Arron Asham - cross-checking Brayden Schenn

James Neal - cross-checking Luke Glendening

Evgeni Malkin - spearing Dustin Brown

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Interesting you bring those 2 teams/coaches as an example as they faced each other last playoffs

Because 1 of those coaches decided a brute force tactic for the FIRST THREE GAMES of the series, was a sound approach despite going 0 for 3 himself and watching his opponent turn the other cheek consistently the previous playoff run on their way to a championship. It's like he didn't bother to watch the SC playoffs or he didn't care. Both I'd say are dereliction of duty

So tell me about Torts' tactical adjustments which leads to his teams success?

Because I know you're super smart, you'll remember that Sullivan's team was struggling against TB the previous year to the tune of a 3-2 series deficit. Because Sullivan has a brain beyond Cro mangon Torterella, he altered his team's forechecking approach and won the next 2 games

But yea that Torts is a super duper tactician who isn't in the last year of his contract because ownership knows his style wears thin quickly. Right?

Mm-hmm, that’s nice.

I’m talking to someone who thinks that 2=4, so I see no point in going further.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
yup. I am on the road. no access to the game.
If you have a smart-phone or computer, I can message you details about how to access any NHL game in any market. (and even some important non-NHL games). I'm going to assume that you have one of those devices. lol

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'd say 4 over the past few seasons is pretty significant,

Fair enough. I'm not looking at misconducts but there seem to be quite a few stick -related suspensions so two doesn't seem like a whole lot there. Probably because I don't follow the league that closely.

If you're comfortable with the clear-cut "stick infraction" regarding last night's incident, cool I guess.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Pittsburgh stick-related discipline since 2010-11

James Neal - high-sticking on PK Subban

Arron Asham - cross-checking Brayden Schenn

James Neal - cross-checking Luke Glendening

Evgeni Malkin - spearing Dustin Brown

2011? That was 7 yrs ago with a different coach and 75% of those players you listed don't even play for the Pens any longer. Compared with 4 in 3 yrs under the same regime/coach.
Yea those stats don't match up quite well and actually prove my point moreso than yours.

You're gonna have to try harder with your evidence based disagreements.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
2011? That was 7 yrs ago with a different coach and 75% of those players you listed don't even play for the Pens any longer. Compared with 4 in 3 yrs under the same regime/coach.
Yea those stats don't match up quite well and actually prove my point moreso than yours.

You're gonna have to try harder with your evidence based disagreements.

You claimed that Columbus has had four stick-related suspensions in “the past few years”. I went back to 2010-11 and proved that your claim was 100% false, and that they have had TWO stick-related suspensions in that entire time frame.

You posted a video of an incident that did not result in a suspension. I simply took your new definition and that time frame and expanded it according to your parameters.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Prout wasn’t suspended for that, chief, and nothing has been announced for this.
He damn well should have been, I remember screaming at my television (and Kevin Porter) after this incident.

I imagine since the victim was Sergei Plotnikov, no one really cared. But Prout absolutely lost his mind after receiving a run-of-the-mill bump, I couldn't believe he could flip out like this over seemingly nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad