Matt Calvert match penalty against Ovechkin

Figgzfood

Nov 15, 2017
"But what happens when we limit that to "dirty" stick infractions - slashing, high-sticking, cross-checking?"

So you're saying all slashing/HSing/Crosschecking penalties are of equal value here?

Me hitting a guy in his hands while I try to take the puck away is of equal viciousness compared to crosschecking a guy up near his face? Because at the end of the day they're still recorded as 2 min minors. And as you stated, DOPS has a history of turning a blind eye towards dangerous plays.

Either you're being willfully obtuse or you're dumb and I don't think it's the latter

Why is this such a big deal for you?
The numbers of stick related suspensions, and minor penalties have been shown. All teams are guilty.

This all stems from an incident against Washington and even their fans don't seem to care that much. I just don't get it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So you're saying all slashing/HSing/Crosschecking penalties are of equal value here?

Given the gigantic discrepancy between Columbus and Pittsburgh in this - particularly this year - it doesn't actually matter. You're nitpicking, because the data have you dead to rights.

You started out in this thread with the following:
The jackets with another stick infraction?

Color me surprised . I'm convinced torts and Dubinsky hold special off ice training sessions on how to properly maximize damage to the upper body area

And yet the data clearly show that if any coach in this league is big on stick infractions, it's your own Mike Sullivan.

Of course, those data aren't relevant to you, though. Because in the end, it's not actually about stick infractions for you, is it? The simple truth is that it's not that Columbus is any more dirty than any other NHL team. The truth is that when the DoPS has gone after Jackets players for stick infractions, two of the three were against Pens players - Crosby and Kuhnhackl. That's why you keep pressing, and insisting that Tortorella is dirty, and the Jackets are dirty, and that we should all just "admit" to it so you can be satisfied.

See, there's several teams that outdo us in DoPS-punished stick infractions with regularity - before and during Tortorella's tenure here - but they obviously don't matter to you; you don't react with outrage towards them. They didn't commit those offenses against your beloved Penguins. They didn't crosscheck Crosby. What matters to you is that when it was Columbus, it happened to your team's players, and you just can't let that go. Anyone or anything suggesting otherwise must be wrong, because Crosby was attacked that one time and this cannot be borne.

But to mount that defense, you need to spread this gospel to all that Columbus Is A Dirty Team (and not just prone to incidents against the Pens in particular). And to do that, your outrage has to be justifiable as something other than homerism, or else folks won't care. So Columbus can't just be exceptional against the Pens per se (and so we can't just stick to reliable, established fact) - no, to achieve that coveted justifiability, Columbus has to be exceptional among all teams in the League. So you keep repeating over and over that this is a regular thing for the Jackets, that stick infractions are commonplace with this team - desperately trying to convince people (possibly including yourself) that it's true. Except we're not - the data clearly shows that, if anything, this year we're exceptionally restrained in that regard - and right now you are flipping the f*** out and trying to nitpick those data to death because they undercut that feeling of justifiable outrage you so wantonly crave.

Take the L and move on. You can't win this [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KCbus

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
"Given the gigantic discrepancy between Columbus and Pittsburgh in this - particularly this year - it doesn't actually matter. You're nitpicking, because the data have you dead to rights."

If that makes you feel better, go ahead and believe that

I asked you a question if all stick infractions were the same- you didn't answer the question because you apparently fail to understand nuance and are going to use a huge data dump to present your case as such. Not all stick fouls are the same, full stop

I can't wait to see the next dirty move by a Jackets player...shouldn't be long

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
"Given the gigantic discrepancy between Columbus and Pittsburgh in this - particularly this year - it doesn't actually matter. You're nitpicking, because the data have you dead to rights."

If that makes you feel better, go ahead and believe that

I asked you a question if all stick infractions were the same- you didn't answer the question because you apparently fail to understand nuance and are going to use a huge data dump to present your case as such. Not all stick fouls are the same, full stop

I can't wait to see the next dirty move by a Jackets player...shouldn't be long
When the discrepancy is that overwhelmingly large, hon, the nuance doesn't matter. It's like trying to focus on the "nuanced" difference between the on-ice contributions of Mark Letestu versus Sidney Crosby.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
GG Caps fans you guys beat us like 6? In a row. Happy to finally get one back. It's nice to be able to respect a fanbase after a game. None of either fanbases went after eachothers fans and after an accident in the game both sides take accountability with there players and even the teams don't go over board on little squabbles on the ice in post game interviews.
It's hockey, it's two teams who are frustrated with their play as of this point, it's bound to happen. I think most Caps fans are more interested in going after our own team at this point.

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
How did this go from a minor incident which was taken care of in the correct manner, to Pens fans debating stick infractions from 2010-2011 and calling Wilson a piece of shit?

I know you guys won a cup 2 years in a row but not EVERY thread needs to be about your team. C'mon man!

Reactions: KCbus

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Looked like Calvert saved Ovi from getting the penalty Calvert got. LOL

That was fun to watch. Not a fan of Torts but a hack he is not. Passionate and accomplished and looks out for his team.

Reactions: db2011

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Wow, I can't believe this thread devolved into two fanbases bitching at each other. That almost never happens here.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Most are pretty insignificant, but occasionally you get one where someone hacks another player’s fingertip right off of his hand. Which Jacket did that?

Reactions: 1857 Howitzer

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
How did this go from a minor incident which was taken care of in the correct manner, to Pens fans debating stick infractions from 2010-2011 and calling Wilson a piece of ****?

I know you guys won a cup 2 years in a row but not EVERY thread needs to be about your team. C'mon man!
That's the problem with having a good-quality, winning team - you end up attracting insecure bandwagoners for whom any slight against the team they've attached themselves to is a deeply damaging personal affront that they can never, ever forgive or ignore.

* * *​
Wow, I can't believe this thread devolved into two fanbases *****ing at each other. That almost never happens here.
I know! It's so incredibly rare and unexpected. :dunno:
;)

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
"But what happens when we limit that to "dirty" stick infractions - slashing, high-sticking, cross-checking?"

Me hitting a guy in his hands while I try to take the puck away is of equal viciousness compared to crosschecking a guy up near his face? Because at the end of the day they're still recorded as 2 min minors. And as you stated, DOPS has a history of turning a blind eye towards dangerous plays.

Either you're being willfully obtuse or you're dumb and I don't think it's the latter

Haha, brother you just schooled

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Most are pretty insignificant, but occasionally you get one where someone hacks another player’s fingertip right off of his hand. Which Jacket did that?

Hey I've been on record that at MINIMUM Crosby should have received a fine. I know he certainly didn't mean to smash a dude's fingertip, but he's gotta be responsible for his actions.

I wasn't on this Board when the likes of Cooke and Neal played for the Pens, but man I was freakin embarrassed at what was going on. I had a shred of self awareness to realize: man the Pens employ some dirty players

That's why it's hilarious to see Jacket fans scream: NO, DUBINSKI ISN"T DIRTY (and now it's calvert who allegedly isn't). And it's funny for them to defend a coach who attempted to storm an opposing team's lockerroom and just recently pout and not answer the media's questions, yet pretend the man doesn't encourage the classlessness in respect to his players.

Leadership is everything. Bylsma didn't have control of that lockerroom back then and his players acted as such: the previously mentioned Cooke/Neal dirtbags, then you had the Flyers series where Sid/Letang was acting like a child shooting gloves and stuff at the faceoff dot. Entertaining for everyone else BUT Pens fans...again yea embarrassment doesn't do it justice.

So I'd just encourage Cbus fans to take a step back and recognize that yup, you have a coach and a couple of dudes who do some reckless and dirty stuff and just own it (and didn't Dubinski just knee someone recently after getting his face caved in?). Don't need to be defensive or ignorant about it....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad