OT: Matt Calvert Appreciation Thread

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I'd rather overpay for a great 4th liner like Calvert than have a nobody AHLer fill up the spot at a low price. We are saving a lot of money on MacKinnon, so might as well use the cap space. Calvert is awesome.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Jackets fan here happy to see this thread. I came deliberately to see what y'all's thoughts on Matty are and I find an appreciation thread.

I was very bummed when the Jackets didn't re-sign Matt Calvert. I wanted him to spend his entire career in Columbus and retire a lifelong Jacket. Oh well, glad he's working out for you guys.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Matt Calvert is great, always goes after the biggest guy on the other team. Did it again against Dallas.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
The fourth line is playing great, as is Mack. But the rest is just not working. I'd be willing to experiment a shift or two putting bellmare and calvert with Mack. Those guys are forechecking monsters and might give Mack some extra time and space doing so.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Given what happened last night vs Nashville and Calvert showing he is not only capable of playing on the first line, but also had a really great game doing so - does this make his $1mill overpayment still an issue? Sure he plays most of his time on the 4th line, but having someone capable of stepping up when there are inevitable injuries seems well worth the additional $$$ to me. But, I'll be honest, I'm not a cap knowledgable guy.

This dude is an absolute stud.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah I’m gladly eating crow on this particular signing. I didn’t think he’d be much more than another Comeau but that’s not the case.

Same. I hated him for the first 1/3 of last season as he was comeau-esque. But I’ve eaten my crow and I absolutely love what he brings.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
It's hard not to like what you see out of him on the ice. He's definitely not the most talented player out there, but he is certainly one of the most hard working. His fearlessness + energy makes for absolute chaos in the opponents zone and leads to lots of scoring chances. He's probably not underrated around here anymore, but likely very underrated in the NHL as a whole. As a grinder, he's the total package.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
pNoG4g.gif

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I loved to see him and Donskoi on the ice with MacKinnon. Calvert just never quits on a play, Donskoi's doing his thing and MacKinnon gets to fire the puck a lot. Fun line.

Reactions: MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I've been (somewhat) secretly hoping they'd try Calvert with MacKinnon ever since Landy went down, never thinking they'd actually do it. It's clear to me that he was by far the best player on that 4th line, and would probably thrive in a larger role given how he's been playing this season. I think honestly until further notice he's our #1 LW, and even after Rants and Landy get back, I'd keep Donskoi and Calvert as the other two top 6 wingers. Let all the other guys fight for the bottom 6 minutes. I want Calvert at a minimum of 15 minutes a night.

Last edited:
Reactions: forsbergavs32

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Losing him in the playoffs last year was the dagger in that series, in my opinion. Bednar is going to lean heavily on the Bellamare/Calvert combo all year long, and hopefully into the playoffs. They've single-handedly shifted momentum on a few occasions this season. Best 4th line in hockey (currently 3rd line :D)

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
If our whole team played as hard and with as much intensity as Calvert we would win 65 games per year.

63 others

Mar 3, 2018
Losing him in the playoffs last year was the dagger in that series, in my opinion. Bednar is going to lean heavily on the Bellamare/Calvert combo all year long, and hopefully into the playoffs. They've single-handedly shifted momentum on a few occasions this season. Best 4th line in hockey (currently 3rd line :D)
He tunes it up in the Playoffs:

24 games, 14 Points, +13

Reactions: Foppa2118

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad