OT: Matt Calvert Appreciation Thread

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Ironic this thread was posted on Halloween because every time I look at Calvert I instantly think of this

michael-myers-halloween-killer-slasher-murder-horror.jpg

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
His was also amazing in playoffs last year too - sacrificed his body like no one did. Remember how we thought that he was downgrade compare to Comeau? I remember (and feel ashamed).

I also disliked the Calvert contract when it was first signed. $2.8mil seemed like a lot for a bottom 6 forward. Boy was I wrong.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I still think Calvert is way over paid... by about a million. Avs can absorb it for now with their cap room. But he is an elite 4th liner and that whole line is playing some damn good hockey. Long-term paying the 4th line an average of 2.2m is going to bite eventually. Right now, it allows them to have an elite 4th line that can be used as a 3rd when they are playing well or it is needed by the team.

Reactions: cgf and flyfysher

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I still think Calvert is way over paid... by about a million. Avs can absorb it for now with their cap room. But he is an elite 4th liner and that whole line is playing some damn good hockey. Long-term paying the 4th line an average of 2.2m is going to bite eventually. Right now, it allows them to have an elite 4th line that can be used as a 3rd when they are playing well or it is needed by the team.

You're undoubtedly correct as I don't know values anywhere like you. But that extra scoring has been nice and it's good to have four lines that can score especially given the injuries of late. Flexibility.

Take it as a sign that Sakic knows we're contending now and will act accordingly through the season.

Spender

Feb 16, 2013
Växjö
They're all amazing. I've had my reservations concerning Nieto and Calvert in the past, but they've both been playing great hockey from the start. Calvert especially seems to have realized what type of hockey he needs to play, he's still in playoff mode.

Reactions: MacBradley

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I still think Calvert is way over paid... by about a million.

It's hard to imagine that if the Avs could walk away from the Calvert deal, that they would do it. I'm sure some team would pay him his contract now, and the Avs wouldn't want to give him up.

I think if he was at a million less, at $1.85m per, he'd still be in Columbus. That or anywhere, teams would be lining up to get value like that. It's obviously not about regular season points with a player like Calvert. It's about his ability to lead on the ice, to change the dynamic of the game. It's about 4/4 playoff runs at or above .5 points per game.

Reactions: MarkT and db2011

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
If they sustained their level of play all season/playoffs, are they worth ~2.2 each? Or even then is it overpayment

MacBradley

May 5, 2014
Calvert has incredible will power. He plays every shifts like it's OT in GM7 of a Stanley Cup Final.

Reactions: MarkT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad