Player Discussion Matt Boldy

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Random thought I had regarding Boldy:

I wonder if deciding to move on from Fiala was also influenced by how the organization views/viewed Boldy. In short, I wonder if they moved Fiala because they view Boldy as a centerpiece of the core (along with salary restraints). Moving Fiala would force Boldy to take a more prominate/dominate role.

Whereas if they kept Fiala, Boldy might be more inclined to be a secondary player?

I have absolutely no basis for this in reality.

My take is that the Wild and Fiala were headed towards divorce when he rec'd the 1 year qualifying offer at the same time they were negotiating Kaprizov's extension. I think that if the Kaprizov deal was done sooner, they might've been able to work out a deal for Fiala, but because they weren't sure how much it was going to cost to keep Kaprizov, and they were against the deadline to qualify Fiala, they did what they did. And when it happened, Fiala basically said to himself "Im outta here".

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
My take is that the Wild and Fiala were headed towards divorce when he rec'd the 1 year qualifying offer at the same time they were negotiating Kaprizov's extension. I think that if the Kaprizov deal was done sooner, they might've been able to work out a deal for Fiala, but because they weren't sure how much it was going to cost to keep Kaprizov, and they were against the deadline to qualify Fiala, they did what they did. And when it happened, Fiala basically said to himself "Im outta here".
This isn't quite correct. Qualifying offers are normal. It was the team electing arbitration that was the sign that they didn't really value his future with the team anymore.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Random thought I had regarding Boldy:

I wonder if deciding to move on from Fiala was also influenced by how the organization views/viewed Boldy. In short, I wonder if they moved Fiala because they view Boldy as a centerpiece of the core (along with salary restraints). Moving Fiala would force Boldy to take a more prominate/dominate role.

Whereas if they kept Fiala, Boldy might be more inclined to be a secondary player?

I have absolutely no basis for this in reality.
I think it was much more about the cap restraints (real or not) and management/coaches just not liking his game all that much, or at least not enough to sacrifice in other areas that they deemed to be important at the time, than it is any long game about Boldy's game. I just don't see how you can watch Boldy's games last year and come to the conclusion that he's better off without him, which was confirmed for most of this season.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think it was much more about the cap restraints (real or not) and management/coaches just not liking his game all that much, or at least not enough to sacrifice in other areas that they deemed to be important at the time, than it is any long game about Boldy's game. I just don't see how you can watch Boldy's games last year and come to the conclusion that he's better off without him, which was confirmed for most of this season.

I wonder if, in addition to the cap stuff, it was more about them seeing Boldy as Fiala's replacement, rather than getting rid of Fiala to push Boldy to new heights (sink or swim). I wonder if Boldy never came if they would have tried harder to bring Fiala back, knowing they didn't have any kind of replacement for him.

But still, ultimately I think Guerin/Evason just didn't like Fiala, and were going to get rid of him regardless. Which is a shame for the fans, because if the choice was between Fiala and Guerin/Evason, I know which one I'd rather have.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Oh, I didn't mean to imply or infer that Boldy would be better without Fiala. More that, maybe, the FO thought it would be better for Boldy's development, in the long run, if he was forced to be a play driver rather than a passenger.

Again, just a random thought. Has no basis.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Also I think it’s a question of how many wings you want to allocate that type of cap hit to. Even more so with the cap constraints.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Oh, I didn't mean to imply or infer that Boldy would be better without Fiala. More that, maybe, the FO thought it would be better for Boldy's development, in the long run, if he was forced to be a play driver rather than a passenger.

Again, just a random thought. Has no basis.

That's interesting even if not intentional. I generally think putting players in positions to succeed is better and that in hockey you need linemates that mesh well with the way you play. I don't think that Boldy would have developed less with Fiala.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's interesting even if not intentional. I generally think putting players in positions to succeed is better and that in hockey you need linemates that mesh well with the way you play. I don't think that Boldy would have developed less with Fiala.
Probably would've avoided the slump with Fiala.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Reactions: TaLoN

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Obviously they're good friends and he's just being very complimentary, but interesting quote anyway.

I thought these parts were pretty interesting

Hughes: There’s not too many guys in the league that are that big and can move like him and can handle and shoot the puck like him.
Zegras: He’s so smart, great shot.
Knight: He’s dynamic, right? He can shoot,

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He should have a pretty easy endorsement opportunity with this one...

boldy-e1680219193429.png

Who here wouldn't want to buy a Boldy Bar?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm guessing this was when he was with the NTDP, so 16 or 17?

Caufield: We’d spend a lot of time at my billets’ house and we had these ice cream sandwiches (from Ben & Jerry’s) named after him. He had like two of them a day. It was really funny. My billets renamed them the Boldy Bars. They printed out some pictures of his face and put them on there. It was like his own. He’s got that sweet tooth.

Reactions: MuckOG and TaLoN

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
I wonder if, in addition to the cap stuff, it was more about them seeing Boldy as Fiala's replacement, rather than getting rid of Fiala to push Boldy to new heights (sink or swim). I wonder if Boldy never came if they would have tried harder to bring Fiala back, knowing they didn't have any kind of replacement for him.

But still, ultimately I think Guerin/Evason just didn't like Fiala, and were going to get rid of him regardless. Which is a shame for the fans, because if the choice was between Fiala and Guerin/Evason, I know which one I'd rather have.
Really? I think with the one reg loss in like 20 games Geurinnlooks like a genius. Not sure if he is but mojo, Gus and Klingberg have been nice additions. He just seems like a bit of an old school hard nose and Fiala seemed to be a princess like Suter and Parise. This is just the eye test. No basis in facts.
GMBG looking for team players that buy into his way of doing things. Like my boss used to say” fit in or “f$#€ off. “ kinda harsh but maybe not the worst thing.

Even Caps not rebuilding to get OVI his record.
Buddies with owner. Balls to that. Rather see my team build that cater to a record that shatters an 80s record when the nets looked twice as big.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Really? I think with the one reg loss in like 20 games Geurinnlooks like a genius. Not sure if he is but mojo, Gus and Klingberg have been nice additions. He just seems like a bit of an old school hard nose and Fiala seemed to be a princess like Suter and Parise. This is just the eye test. No basis in facts.
GMBG looking for team players that buy into his way of doing things. Like my boss used to say” fit in or “f$#€ off. “ kinda harsh but maybe not the worst thing.

Even Caps not rebuilding to get OVI his record.
Buddies with owner. Balls to that. Rather see my team build that cater to a record that shatters an 80s record when the nets looked twice as big.

It's nice, he's created a nice little regular season team. Even last year the team did well in the regular season. Really well even. Right before, again, losing in the first round, like every year before. He'll get some credit from me once he builds a team that can consistently make playoff runs, year after year. Losing in the first round doesn't move the needle for me.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's nice, he's created a nice little regular season team. Even last year the team did well in the regular season. Really well even. Right before, again, losing in the first round, like every year before. He'll get some credit from me once he builds a team that can consistently make playoff runs, year after year. Losing in the first round doesn't move the needle for me.
I’m with you, though I have to applaud his TDL. I think we were near the top of the league, maybe 2nd overall, under Boudreau, yet we lost in the 1st round. Kinda scary that our best playoff coach besides Lemaire was Yeo.

For me, Dean is on notice this playoffs. I was really critical of him last year….gave him a bit of a pass in the first year with Covid… I need to see some creativity from him. There is no point in having a deep team if you don’t rotate players in and out of the lineup, and try throwing new wrinkles on the ice for the other team to solve. I also need to see some better bench management…. Seeing him look pissed off because of a ref’s call doesn’t convince me.

Don’t want to be overly negative, as the players play for Dean during the season. I just want to see some IQ from him- he’s allowed to outcoach the other team, right?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad