Player Discussion Matt Boldy

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He played only 7 fewer games before the age of 22 than Boldy has so far, and he's allegedly the much better goal scorer :dunno:
This season:

Boldy 74gp 28g
Caufield 46gp 26g (42g per 74 game pace)

Last 2 seasons:
Caufield 113gp 49g
Boldy 121gp 43g

Career:
Caufield 123gp 53g
Boldy 121gp 43g

Surely even you could figure that Caufield’s goal scoring is much better.

You used the age as the marker, but when you look at D+2 and D+3 you see that Caufield played significantly more games at a younger age. Then D+4 Boldy finally caught up in games in a season where Caufield was injured, but on pace for over 40 goals and could have been pushing 50.

I still think it isn’t close. A stupid stat like hat tricks before age 22 by Americans doesn’t change that Caufield is significantly better at scoring goals.

Reactions: Wild11MN

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
This season:

Boldy 74gp 28g

Last 2 seasons:
Caufield 113gp 49g
Boldy 121gp 43g

Career:
Caufield 123gp 53g
Boldy 121gp 43g

You used the age as the marker, but when you look at D+2 and D+3 you see that Caufield played significantly more games at a younger age. Then D+4 Boldy finally caught up in games in a season where Caufield was injured, but on pace for over 40 goals and could have been pushing 50.

I still think it isn’t close. A stupid stat like hat tricks before age 22 by Americans doesn’t change that Caufield is significantly better at scoring goals.
Kind of an oversell there.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
This season:

Boldy 74gp 28g

Last 2 seasons:
Caufield 113gp 49g
Boldy 121gp 43g

Career:
Caufield 123gp 53g
Boldy 121gp 43g

Maybe, but only one of those players has paced 100 goal per 82 over a 9 game stretch and it isn't Caufield.

Seriously though, neither player is a finished product yet. Too early to tell.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
This season:

Boldy 74gp 28g

Last 2 seasons:
Caufield 113gp 49g
Boldy 121gp 43g

Career:
Caufield 123gp 53g
Boldy 121gp 43g

Caufield is more of a one trick pony. Until he can add other elements to his game other than goal scoring, I still prefer Boldy.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nothing against Caufield, who’s game has transferred to the NHL far better than I thought it would, but I would far rather have Boldy. This year we are getting a glimpse of how effective he can be in puck battles, with his improved strength and long stick. He will get even stronger, and be a lot more like Mark Stone than I thought he would be.

Caufield simply doesn’t play defense at anything like that level. He is a one way forward….nothing wrong with that. Goal scorers are always in demand. He is giving up 7-8” to Boldy, and probably about 30 lbs… it’s amazing that he can do what he is doing. Caufield still has the better shot, till Boldy proves otherwise.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
This season:

Boldy 74gp 28g

Last 2 seasons:
Caufield 113gp 49g
Boldy 121gp 43g

Career:
Caufield 123gp 53g
Boldy 121gp 43g

You don't need to prove anything, they're just messing with you. It's clear from looking at the simple stat line alone that Caufield is a least a bit better of a goal scorer.

I'd take Boldy from the perspective of playing the whole game, but Caufield is a better goal scorer.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This season:

Boldy 74gp 28g

Last 2 seasons:
Caufield 113gp 49g
Boldy 121gp 43g

Career:
Caufield 123gp 53g
Boldy 121gp 43g

This season:
Boldy: 29 assists
Caufield: 10 assists (16 per 74 game pace)

Last two seasons
Boldy: 53 assists
Caufield: 31 assists

Boldy is better at generating goals for the team.

Reactions: BagHead and MuckOG

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Kind of an oversell there.
Not really. If he maintained his pace, he would have 14 more goals at this point.

Caufield is more of a one trick pony. Until he can add other elements to his game other than goal scoring, I still prefer Boldy.
I’ve never said Caufield is a better player. I’ve said he’s a better goal scorer and debatably a better fit for what the franchise needs (goal scoring). I do agree Boldy is a better player, but I will hold the line on the goal scoring and franchise needs assessment as “debatable” on if Caufield would be a better fit.

Reactions: 57special

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I’ve never said Caufield is a better player. I’ve said he’s a better goal scorer and debatably a better fit for what the franchise needs (goal scoring). I do agree Boldy is a better player, but I will hold the line on the goal scoring and franchise needs assessment as “debatable” on if Caufield would be a better fit.
Better fit for what? The team?

Boldy is a much better fit for the team.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

I wouldn't have had an issue with picking Caufield at 12 if Boldy was already gone. I just don't think Caufield's goal scoring ability outweighs everythng else that Boldy brings to the table. Caufield has a great shot, but Boldy is no slouch, either. Boldy may not be the sniper that Caufield is, but its inarguable that he does a better job at creating offense for the team in addition to himself.

Hypothetically, I would prefer Player A in any given season:

Player A: 35g 45 a
Player B: 48g 23 a

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Caufield may be a bit better at "scoring" goals, but Boldy is better at "generating" goals by a significant margin.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Inexorable opinions with a reinforcement loop going on here. Smile, nod and move on :nod:

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
They did say 21 or younger before that. If Boldy does it before Apr 5th, he's in the window.
Still seems pretty liberal at the end in order to try and fit them in the same window, which they're really not.

But yes, both under 22, just one way more than the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad