Player Discussion Mats Zuccarello

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Except for Hintz did good during the end of the Reg season as well.

Including playoffs, Hintz was impressive for 20-30 games. That’s great but far from conclusive about his future.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I’m good with that. He’s better than Cap Space.

If Zucc hadn't meshed so well with Dallas, I think most people would not be overlooking Nyquist and rather lumping them together. They're very similar players that are going to get large contracts, but they aren't quite 1st line players, at least they have been consistently in there career.

I'd pay more for Zucc simply because of how well the fit was, but I do think they're pretty similar in terms of risk and impact not necessarily style.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Including playoffs, Hintz was impressive for 20-30 games. That’s great but far from conclusive about his future.

At this point it's arguing semantics which is typically a jerk move, but it feels like when you present it that way it paints it a bit more negative than it really is. Totally on board with the fact that Hintz is in no way proven despite justified optimism.

I would say though the fact that he looked great late in the year is much, much more positive than him having an inconsistent season. He played the last quarter of the season playing like a legit 2nd line forward and then stepped it up in the playoffs. That's the best you can hope for from a rookie, and it's a nice indication that the guy is having a positive adjustment to NA and the NHL rather than a flash in the pan.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If Zucc hadn't meshed so well with Dallas, I think most people would not be overlooking Nyquist and rather lumping them together. They're very similar players that are going to get large contracts, but they aren't quite 1st line players, at least they have been consistently in there career.

I'd pay more for Zucc simply because of how well the fit was, but I do think they're pretty similar in terms of risk and impact not necessarily style.
With either of them, I’d still be wondering what else Nill would add. Honestly, I would have loved getting both Zucc and Nyquist.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
At this point it's arguing semantics which is typically a jerk move, but it feels like when you present it that way it paints it a bit more negative than it really is. Totally on board with the fact that Hintz is in no way proven despite justified optimism.

I would say though the fact that he looked great late in the year is much, much more positive than him having an inconsistent season. He played the last quarter of the season playing like a legit 2nd line forward and then stepped it up in the playoffs. That's the best you can hope for from a rookie, and it's a nice indication that the guy is having a positive adjustment to NA and the NHL rather than a flash in the pan.

We're on the same page. I'm just hesitant to pencil him in as a surefire top 6 player for the foreseeable future for that reason. We've seen plenty of players have strong rookie years and then fall off later.

There is a lot to like about his game, though. A lot of promise and he provides something we desperately need. We don't really have any other options for a 2nd line center, anyway.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
With either of them, I’d still be wondering what else Nill would add. Honestly, I would have loved getting both Zucc and Nyquist.

I can't believe the cap is going to be $82 million or less AND it at least appears Nill isn't considering Nichushkin as a buyout option. I'm still hoping he's trying to play coy and see if someone, anyone would take Nuke (maybe even with retained salary), but I'm not optimistic.

Those 2 things really are screwing up adding the necessary pieces this summer. I think they legitimately needed 2 Top 6 forwards and a Top 4 D, and that's virtually impossible. It's going to be difficult to simply add a Top 6 F and Top 4 D.

I think the best hope, and it's honestly not a bad one, is that you leave yourself enough space to add another forward at the TDL.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
We're on the same page. I'm just hesitant to pencil him in as a surefire top 6 player for the foreseeable future for that reason. We've seen plenty of players have strong rookie years and then fall off later.

There is a lot to like about his game, though. A lot of promise and he provides something we desperately need. We don't really have any other options for a 2nd line center, anyway.

I just re-read my response, and I realize it may not have entirely been clear that I meant I was arguing semantics and being the potential jerk. Making sure that is how it came off .....

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I just re-read my response, and I realize it may not have entirely been clear that I meant I was arguing semantics and being the potential jerk. Making sure that is how it came off .....

I got that, hence me saying we're on the same page. :thumbu:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I think Zucc goes to the Islanders or Flyers, for special reasons. And both teams have tons of cap space.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think it was allways likely Zucc was going to test the market regardless of what the Stars offered unless they massively overpaid.

Reactions: Henderson33

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
According to Norwegian media, Nill has confirmed that Zuccarello will test the open market and not sign with Dallas right now..

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Problem is Stars current cap space is only some 10 million, while many other teams have twice that amount. Zucc will get paid, and he deserves it. Stars may not be able to match offers from other teams.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Problem is Stars current cap space is only some 10 million, while many other teams have twice that amount. Zucc will get paid, and he deserves it. Stars may not be able to match offers from other teams.

As much as I want Zucc back, I'd rather not Nill match what some desperate GM will offer him and lose a first round pick on top of that

I'd imagine Nill is fine with losing the first if he was able to sign Zucc to a friendly cap deal, but having to pay 6-7M a year is alot imo

The other option Dallas could do is agree with Zucc on a deal, but sign it once Hanzal goes on LTIR and frees up more room. Then Nill can go after a Dman once FA opens and maybe another forward

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
As much as I want Zucc back, I'd rather not Nill match what some desperate GM will offer him and lose a first round pick on top of that

I'd imagine Nill is fine with losing the first if he was able to sign Zucc to a friendly cap deal, but having to pay 6-7M a year is alot imo

The other option Dallas could do is agree with Zucc on a deal, but sign it once Hanzal goes on LTIR and frees up more room. Then Nill can go after a Dman once FA opens and maybe another forward

Why should Zucc sign a capfriendly deal? Why should he not get paid what he deserves?

The Stars became a better team with him in the lineup, he clicked with everyone. But the Stars didn't come up with the necessary funds, so he goes to free agency. I understand his camp has received signals he will get better offers elsewhere, and some 10 teams have been in touch.

Reactions: Kuola

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Why should Zucc sign a capfriendly deal? Why should he not get paid what he deserves?

The Stars became a better team with him in the lineup, he clicked with everyone. But the Stars didn't come up with the necessary funds, so he goes to free agency. I understand his camp has received signals he will get better offers elsewhere, and some 10 teams have been in touch.

I'm not saying he doesnt deserve it, all I'm saying is Nill may have been fine with losing the first and signing Zucc if the deal was right. But, after seeing some of these deals like Hayes then maybe Nill is also going to look else where. I mean paying close to 7M or whatever he'll probably get is alot and then you also lose a first.

You dont need to sell me on Zucc I watched the games. I also dont make the decisions with contracts.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
According to Shapiro's latest Athletic report, the Stars and Zuccarello are $1 million apart and disagree over term. It's not insurmountable, but I've switched camps. Zucc is probably done as a Stars player.

I assumed the gap was probably $100's of thousands of dollars ... not a $1 million or more.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I'm not saying he doesnt deserve it, all I'm saying is Nill may have been fine with losing the first and signing Zucc if the deal was right. But, after seeing some of these deals like Hayes then maybe Nill is also going to look else where. I mean paying close to 7M or whatever he'll probably get is alot and then you also lose a first.

You dont need to sell me on Zucc I watched the games. I also dont make the decisions with contracts.

I get your point, 6 million over 4 years + that 1st is a heavy price. But Zucc could be a key factor to a cup during those years.

You may wonder why Benn and Seguin got those monster deals, that's what I call a lot, based on their production. Those deals kind of burns Nill's chances to sign good players who can make an immediate impact. But they don't come cheap.

Anyway, I'm sure the Stars would offer Zucc more if they had the cap space.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Why should Zucc sign a capfriendly deal?
Why shouldn't he ? His entire career, he has said that he is not doing it for the money (which his contracts and behavior has proven multiple times with the Rangers). This is likely to be his last "big" contract (any potential contract after this one is likely going to be in a supporting role rather than a "main line" player). Seeing how the Rangers just dumped him after a decade (i realize this is normal for you guys in the US, for people in Norway, its generally opposite. One is supposed to reward loyalty), my wager is that his numero uno priority by a mile, is job security. Job security carries a risk of its own to the management, and is usually somewhat offset by a lower salary. But we'll have to see i guess :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino