Player Discussion Mats Zuccarello

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I'll come back to this when I see the numbers Zucc signs for with his new team, but I believe targeting a different UFA is a better choice.

Now if they could only buyout Nichushkin I would have little to complain about this offseason.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I'll come back to this when I see the numbers Zucc signs for with his new team, but I believe targeting a different UFA is a better choice.

Now if they could only buyout Nichushkin I would have little to complain about this offseason.
People keep beating that Nichushkin buyout drum, but it's pretty clearly not going to happen, it would have happened by now if it were.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That seems reasonable to me. It's tough to swallow for sure, but it seems like a reasonable ask.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I understand the hesitancy, but the 5th year can bring the cap hit down. Where do we expect to be 4 years from now? How are Benn, Seguin, and Radulov going to be 4 years from now? Potentially more importantly, Bishop?

I think it's fairly obvious that we were a contender with Zuccarello. Whether Zucc gets replaced or not, it would be infuriating to me if we end up losing both because we didn't want to give them one extra year. I just don't see the major downside to it the more that I think about it.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I understand the hesitancy, but the 5th year can bring the cap hit down. Where do we expect to be 4 years from now? How are Benn, Seguin, and Radulov going to be 4 years from now? Potentially more importantly, Bishop?

I think it's fairly obvious that we were a contender with Zuccarello. Whether Zucc gets replaced or not, it would be infuriating to me if we end up losing both because we didn't want to give them one extra year. I just don't see the major downside to it the more that I think about it.

I'd rather give Pavelski a 4th year than give Zuccarello a 5th year and New York a 1st round pick.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'd rather give Pavelski a 4th year than give Zuccarello a 5th year and New York a 1st round pick.

Oh absolutely. If we get the choice of any other first line forward vs. Zucc, I feel very confident Nill goes with the other forward simply because of that pick.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
One long-term injury to Bishop (not that crazy to happen) and we could be looking at a top 10 lottery pick.

I'm keeping that first unless Zuccarello is signing a sweetheart deal. Which he is not.

Love you Zucc, but it's gonna be a no from me dawg.

Reactions: masinaLFC

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
All this talk of Joe P being just as good for us as Zucc drives me nuts. I am old enough to remember that when they let Brett Hull go, they were arrogant enough to believe that they could just plug in another scorer, a la Turgeon and Audette, neither one of which fit the team at all.

I wouldn't underestimate the chemistry that Zucc brought. I think lack of chemistry causes more UFA failures than most realize.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
All this talk of Joe P being just as good for us as Zucc drives me nuts. I am old enough to remember that when they let Brett Hull go, they were arrogant enough to believe that they could just plug in another scorer, a la Turgeon and Audette, neither one of which fit the team at all.

I wouldn't underestimate the chemistry that Zucc brought. I think lack of chemistry causes more UFA failures than most realize.

Pavelski has been better than Mats their entire career.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Agree, he's been great. But his goal total last year was his best year, he is old, and most of all, my point about chemistry stands. We just don't know how he might fit. Or, he might take a half a year to find a fit, which Zuch wouldn't, which could cost us some frustrating points.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Agree, he's been great. But his goal total last year was his best year, he is old, and most of all, my point about chemistry stands. We just don't know how he might fit. Or, he might take a half a year to find a fit, which Zuch wouldn't, which could cost us some frustrating points.
No it's not he's had 41 goals, and another 38goal season a few years back.
In fact of his last 6 season he's only failed to score less than 37 goals 2x

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
He’s also played with probably a top 5 playmaker ever for the majority of his career. Like there is some cause for trepidation here, and his numbers will drop off a little.

In a vacuum, I’d take Zucc. But when you consider the money, term, and outside factors.. Pavelski is probably the better move.

Reactions: gentleman scholar

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Seems like it´s the term that makes Zucc hesitate, and why he wants to test the market. He wants security, no surprise. All the news in norway are also talking about 5 years, so I guess there is a pretty good source. My guess is a long term (>5 years) with a NMC/limited NMC is what it takes, more than the money.

pbatx

Feb 26, 2015
Austin, TX
I want Zucc here something fierce, but if you believe the Buffalo rumors, would you pay him 7mX5 ?

Even with some contract voodoo (low salary, high incentives in later years) And you are probably adding a NMC, I'm not sure I can see us adding that. And I'm a guy that would go higher aav for 4 years, 6.5 even.

I think Zuccs should get paid, just don't see those numbers making sense.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
It's a win win with Zucc. If we dont sign him we wont have to listen to Webster go on about how Nill didnt wish Zuccs grandma a happy birthday and made him cry

If Zucc can get that kind of money from Buffalo then you cant blame him for signing there

“Tapped Zucc’s phone while hiding in his closet yesterday.. think he’s signing with Traktor. Heard it here first guys ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->