Mats Zuccarello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Im not sure why holding a player to a standard he's set over a full season is ridiculous. Not when we're 1/4 into the season and we already know what he's capable of.

The only thing thats ridiculous is parts of this fanbases tendency to give up on their players after they begin to struggle, labeling them as garbage. That goes for all players not just Zucc

Partly agree to this, but we have to see the facts here; AV stated after last season that Zucc had to prove consistensy and that one good season in NHL does not make you a good hockey player. If we step aside from the numbers (he is to be fair only 2 points behind last year´s production in the same amount of games), and just look at his play, there are a lot of disappointments.

There is so many things that are missing from his play from last year; It was so great to see him last year with all that confidence. He took on man on man, made great moves, and knew exactly when to dump and when to challenge his man. This year? Dumps the puck 9 out of 10 times, and is not able to retrieve. Last year he came out with the puck after battles in the corner, and we lost count how many times he set up his team mates after these battles. This year? Outplayed and knocked over most of the times. And where is the aggression an thrash talk to his opponents. Can´t remember last time I saw him in the face of a player on the other team. Last year you saw this every game. EVERY game. He brougth energy, heart and passion. And that´s why he was loved by the fans. Where is it now? I have no idea, but it sure isn´t on the ice, and hasn´t been there this year, since his fight against Oshie.

It scares med that he looks more and more like the Zucc he was under Torts, scared as **** to make mistakes, thus dumping the puck when he has other oppurtunities.

As a norwegian I feel really sorry for him, and every game I watch I have this burning desire to finally see him wake up and rise up as the star he was last year. And after every game I am even more dissapointed on another mediocre game.

It´s not that he sucks. He plays ok games, and defensively he makes a lot of good plays, but this is an average NHL player, and there are hundreds of those knocking on the door to play in the NHL. He needs to be more than an average player to earn his long term contract.

And just to compare with last year;
In december last year, in 13 games, he scored 6 goals, and had 7 assists. He had 28 points at the end of december last year. This means he needs to pick up 18 points in the next 11 games to be "on schedule" for last years production. He will not even ble close.

Last edited:

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I don't care who contribute in pts, but I'm concerned that we see little chemistry with that line at the moment, because Brassard is usually invisible on it.
Is this the Norwegian effect or am I watching a different team..?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Zucc and Kreider are hurting this team. They need to be better. A lot better. Zucc doesn't deserve any sort of raise. This has been his M-O throughout his NHL career. Inconsistency. Other than last year Zucc has either been hurt (bad luck) or he disappears for stretches. He took a stupid penalty against Philly in the second of the home and homes. He just isn't playing well lately. He had one good shift against tampa late in the second. Other than that, just a passenger type game.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I don't know Zucc well enough in consider consistency - how he train on details and why he is so slow in start of seasons. They had like 2 months before the season started in October.
I read that the Sedins refused to play hockey for Sweden national team, because they want to focus and prepare for a new season with Canucks. And now they both have 24 pts. - so I guess Mats have something to learn how to prepare for a 'new' season.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Is this the Norwegian effect or am I watching a different team..?

My point was I like what I saw when Kreider - Stepan - Zucc played together earlier.
Why did AV change that line Nash - Brassard - MSL and the main reason behind it?

I think we have different opinions how we see chemistry or not on a line in a 5vs5 play.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
My point was I like what I saw when Kreider - Stepan - Zucc played together earlier.
Why did AV change that line Nash - Brassard - MSL and the main reason behind it?

I think we have different opinions how we see chemistry or not on a line in a 5vs5 play.

Striderello never scores as a unit... They "look" good on the ice, but there's a serious lack of finish.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Last year Stepan and Zuke both had less than 20 goals and close to 60 points. Pure assist guys. And Kreider is just....Kreider. :dunno:

That line has no finish on it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Last year Stepan and Zuke both had less than 20 goals and close to 60 points. Pure assist guys. And Kreider is just....Kreider. :dunno:

That line has no finish on it.

which is why MSL or Nash is on Stepan or Brassard's wings... it makes sense.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Of course its a major reason, along with Brassard being a more productive NHL player over a longer period of time.

The argument in the beginning of the summer was that we needed to sign Zucc to a multi-year deal to create savings done the road -- it was just assumed he'd product at a similar or better pace to '13-14. It was ridiculous then and its even more ridiculous now.

Canters, on average, are always more productive scoring wise, but Zucc imo is easily the better two-way hockey player of the two. But Zucc is a wing, which is a position of depth on this team, while Brass had fairly amazing leverage when you look at all the top 3 centers we we didn't have. While I think Zucc is the stronger player of the two, I will agree with your assessment that Brass has done what he does for a longer time and thus with greater consistency. So I can agree that played a role, too.

Savings down the road was not an argument I saw much of in the beginning of the summer. The only consistent mindset/concern I observed, pretty much everywhere, was those who wanted to sign Zucc long term so we don't lose him to UFA.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Zucc with (another) interview in norwegian media today. Has been some focus on Zucc´s s disappointing season this fall in norwegian media, and his lack of production and his struggle to respond to last season.

Main points of the interview is that he is overall pretty satisfied with his total game, especially that he has become better in the defensive zone, but he admits that he should have had more production, but states that "the production will come".

He reveals that both him and the team had trouble putting the huge disappointment of losing the cup final behind them, and that it probably had some effect on their play in the opening of the season.

So appearantly he is calm about the situation and hopefully he will put it together and wake up.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Zucc with (another) interview in norwegian media today. Has been some focus on Zucc´s s disappointing season this fall in norwegian media, and his lack of production and his struggle to respond to last season.

Main points of the interview is that he is overall pretty satisfied with his total game, especially that he has become better in the defensive zone, but he admits that he should have had more production, but states that "the production will come".

He reveals that both him and the team had trouble putting the huge disappointment of losing the cup final behind them, and that it probably had some effect on their play in the opening of the season.

So appearantly he is calm about the situation and hopefully he will put it together and wake up.

Glad to hear it. Thanks.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

From the article:

"It's hard y'know? I frequently go up against guys much bigger than me and I panic a lot. Their size puts fear in me. NHL refs only watch for head hits so I am held all the time. This league scares me and I am too timid out there. Also Alain has a gum fetish that really throws off my game."

Harsh words form a harsh man. If you haven't figured it out yet I'm 100% kidding

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
From the article:

"It's hard y'know? I frequently go up against guys much bigger than me and I panic a lot. Their size puts fear in me. NHL refs only watch for head hits so I am held all the time. This league scares me and I am too timid out there. Also Alain has a gum fetish that really throws off my game."

Harsh words form a harsh man. If you haven't figured it out yet I'm 100% kidding
hehe, good one :D

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You guys are over reacting. He is playing pretty well in some ways despite the lower points. He is almost always the first guy back on defense. He is one of the few Rangers willing to get dirty behind the net to get the puck. He plays better with Stepan than Brass. His PP minutes are hard to do too much in. The only huge change I would make is to stop putting him in the middle of the PP unit. That is by design and it is useless. Put him on the RW boards where he plays best. The points will come in bunches and at the end of the season he will be a .5ppg-.6ppg player as expected.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
You guys are over reacting. He is playing pretty well in some ways despite the lower points. He is almost always the first guy back on defense. He is one of the few Rangers willing to get dirty behind the net to get the puck. He plays better with Stepan than Brass. His PP minutes are hard to do too much in. The only huge change I would make is to stop putting him in the middle of the PP unit. That is by design and it is useless. Put him on the RW boards where he plays best. The points will come in bunches and at the end of the season he will be a .5ppg-.6ppg player as expected.

I agree, I don't like Zucc in the middle of the PP unit as well.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Zucc is doing fine, if he keeps driving the play he will start getting on the board more. It does seem like the his line is missing Pouliot. Zucc, Brass, and Pouliot were so good cycling the puck and playing behind the goal line.

TrueBlueNorwegian

Jan 20, 2008
Zucc is doing fine, if he keeps driving the play he will start getting on the board more. It does seem like the his line is missing Pouliot. Zucc, Brass, and Pouliot were so good cycling the puck and playing behind the goal line.

Im sure Edmonton would love to trade him back to the Rangers :D Been less than stellar all year. That cap hit though :shakehead

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Now would be a great time to get him signed, but I'm sure they will wait until he starts putting up points so he can ask for more money.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Now would be a great time to get him signed, but I'm sure they will wait until he starts putting up points so he can ask for more money.

I agree with you. Might get a good discount now but I do not think we are allowed until 2015.

BarbaraAlphanse

Every single important UFA/RFA we have can be resigned permitted the Rangers do not resign Staal.

I am fine with that.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

This.

Zucc's possession metrics suggests he's bound to explode on the scoresheet soon enough.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
We can't sign him until January 1st.

They can still talk with him, but stubborn Sather and Rangers brass will wait and wait and wait and we'll end up losing yet another player who was good for us.

I don't hate Sather anymore and don't want him fired, but it really annoys me sometimes the way he goes about resigning players. Its almost as if hes too proud to show that he wants/needs a player. Refuses to get anything done early, and watches almost everyone leave for more money elsewhere.

Stralman or Pouliot could've been signed last year. I really believe that, but Sather waited and waited and their value got to be too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad