Mats Zuccarello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Since Mats has had his first good game of the season, and the mods have kindly allowed for these threads to exist again. I figured one for Zuccs was in order.

It's been a really awkward season start for many of the forward, Zuccs included.

Stepans injury has essentially made the line combinations incredibly infavorable for Brassards line, with Hagelin who in retrospect was a incredibly bad fit, and the St Louis experiment, whom apart for few good shifts, didnt really get a lot done.

Kreider, who's been the only obvious fit for that line so far has only had 2 showings on that line, one of which ended up in a game penalty.

Several other factors like his first fighting major, and generally sloppy play, has not made life easier.

Which is why it was all that better to see some of those magical passes again, the backhand pass to Hagelin through the play was a beauty, and finally netting one was a huge weight of his shoulder

Nash on the line with Zucc and Brass might be the best thing that could happen to his Rangers career.

So whats the prognosis moving forward. Will we see increased production and highlight reel passing, or was this a one time event ?

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Since Mats has had his first good game of the season, and the mods have kindly allowed for these threads to exist again. I figured one for Zuccs was in order.

It's been a really awkward season start for many of the forward, Zuccs included.

Stepans injury has essentially made the line combinations incredibly infavorable for Brassards line, with Hagelin who in retrospect was a incredibly bad fit, and the St Louis experiment, whom apart for few good shifts, didnt really get a lot done.

Kreider, who's been the only obvious fit for that line so far has only had 2 showings on that line, one of which ended up in a game penalty.

Several other factors like his first fighting major, and generally sloppy play, has not made life easier.

Which is why it was all that better to see some of those magical passes again, the backhand pass to Hagelin through the play was a beauty, and finally netting one was a huge weight of his shoulder

Nash on the line with Zucc and Brass might be the best thing that could happen to his Rangers career.

So whats the prognosis moving forward. Will we see increased production and highlight reel passing, or was this a one time event ?

Considering he had zero production, I'd say we'll certainly see increased production.

AV's been changing lines around a lot. When that happens, it doesn't give the players a lot of time to get to know each other's habits. When Zuccs is battling in the corner and knows Brass will be set up in front, for example, he can no-look pass to Brass' tape because he knows where he'll be. When you're getting swapped around throughout a game, it can create mass confusion.

It's the same with music. If we're finishing up a song and it turns into an improvised jam, I've been playing with the guitarist long enough to know that he favors blues scales to a large degree, and I can then play something to fit within that while also keeping in mind his typical embellishments in rhythm.

I think most of our guys will be fine once everyone's back from injury and we can assume a semblance of normalcy.

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
Nash has never been as hot as he is now as a Ranger and if he and Brasszucca starts really clicking, they could be a lethal combo.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Nash has never been as hot as he is now as a Ranger and if he and Brasszucca starts really clicking, they could be a lethal combo.
Nash is on fire literally regardless of which linemates he has had this far. But yes, if he could "kickstart" Brass and Zucc into the form they had last year, while keeping the fire lit under his own butt...well, then the sky is the limit :)

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Brassard has been playing outstanding hockey, particularly the last 5-6 games. Don't really think he's in need of a jump start from Nash. but if Zuccarello regains 60-pt form, that could be one hell of a line.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Nash is on fire literally regardless of which linemates he has had this far. But yes, if he could "kickstart" Brass and Zucc into the form they had last year, while keeping the fire lit under his own butt...well, then the sky is the limit

I wouldn't lump Brassard and Zuccarello together. I think Brassard has looked good, and far better than Zuccarello pretty much every night so far.

Zuccarello needs to step it up if we're going to be successful. When we talk about our offensive depth, he's a huge part of it. Hopefully the Minnesota game was the start of him kicking it into high gear.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Obviously played much better in Minny. That pass to Hagelin was so good *droll*

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Brass' first 2-3 games were crap but he's played really well since.

Zucc will pick it up. With rejuvanated Nash we've looked good offensively. Scary how good the offense could be when Zucc fires and Stepan comes back.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The Brassard/Zuccarello tandem isn't going to get the benefit of technically being the team's 3rd line like last year, leading to super-favorable matchups. Hope they can step up.

Brassard has, and hopefully Zuccarello is on his way.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Wonder if he feels any extra pressure this year to pass Knutsen as the GOAT Norwegian NHL player. He's got the goals, I think he's about 20 points, maybe less off that.

That, not to mention the whole contract thing. Could be a rough mental year for Zuccy.

Really happy to see the game he played against Minn. Hope that carries over.

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
I wouldn't lump Brassard and Zuccarello together. I think Brassard has looked good, and far better than Zuccarello pretty much every night so far.

Zuccarello needs to step it up if we're going to be successful. When we talk about our offensive depth, he's a huge part of it. Hopefully the Minnesota game was the start of him kicking it into high gear.

I didn't mean to compare them as far as performance this year, but on the chemistry they have shown together in the past and what we know they can do together.

SKS

Jan 17, 2011
San Francisco
I find the whole bad play by Zucc to be a bit overrated. Sure, 4 or so games he has not looked good at all, but in the other half I have quite enjoyed watching Zucc, but he has had some bad puck luck but contributed very well in other aspects. I am not worried at all, he will come around and the self esteem boost he probably got with a 3 point night might take that monkey off his back.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
One good game does not mean he is back in business. But hopefully this turns it around for him. And playing with Nash who might be playing his best hockey ever of course helps a lot.

If the Zucc-Brass-Nash line sticks, there will be some great combos when Stepan is back
Zucc-Brass-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Duclair-Hayes-Hagelin

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Zuc is one of my favorite players in a long time. Says a lot that a old school dinosaur like me loves this kid.

Ive always wondered, do you ever mention these boards to the players? Or have any of them mentioned that they know this place exist/read it

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ive always wondered, do you ever mention these boards to the players? Or have any of them mentioned that they know this place exist/read it

There was a picture awhile back, I believe of Dubinsky, where in the background was his laptop--and HF was up on the laptop. There are various media-types that have posted here over the years (including Bob McKenzie, who once called someone an ass hat) and it's not uncommon for HF to be referenced in the media. Hell, the "Vote for Rory" campaign was a story that was covered on major news networks in the US, and its genesis was here. One of our former HF NYR mods was a late-round NHL draft pick! The hockey community is very aware of Hockey's Future.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
One of our former HF NYR mods was a late-round NHL draft pick! The hockey community is very aware of Hockey's Future.
One of our current posters is a former NYR draft pick!

And I'd bet that Dubinsky photo is shopped.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Do you remember the picture I'm talking about? I don't even know where I'd begin looking for it.

RDD3k.png

Screen looks shopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->