Confirmed with Link: Mats Zuccarello Re-signs (1 year, $1.15M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Did ya?

Centers

Stepan
Brassard
Richards
?????

There were times where Torts played Richards with 4th line wingers but it's not quite that simple to say Boyle was our 3rd line center.

Boyle played 18:50 per game in the playoffs. Richards played 14:43 per game and was a healthy scratch for the last 2 games.

Boyle played 15:02 per game at ES. Richards played 10:49 per game at ES.

By what metric are you determining that Richards was ahead of Boyle on the playoff depth chart?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Boyle played 18:50 per game in the playoffs. Richards played 14:43 per game and was a healthy scratch for the last 2 games.

By what metric are you determining that Richards was ahead of Boyle on the playoff depth chart?

His eyes.

Also, Boyle getting so much ice time is clearly the leading factor as to why the Rangers lost to Boston. :sarcasm:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Metric? You don't know Bardof do you?

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
A lot of the guys live up in Westchester in the White Plains area. They sometimes spend more time at the practice facility close by than at the Garden in midtown, which is only a 30-45 minute drive down. It's also a lot cheaper to live up there
Thanks a lot.
And thank you everybody for your kind answers.

Last edited:

sankaa

Jan 21, 2011
No such thing, it's called Chinatown now

Actually stayed at a hotel in that area, during my first stay in NY. Was a little disappointed, not much about that area looked like the NY I imagined. Ended up switching hotel, to the Hotel Pennsylvania right across the street from MSG ;)

Glad to see the whole Zucc-contract thing worked out fine.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
This is probably a bit OT, but it is a lasting annoyance that Norway seem to produce short hockey players. We are the 4th tallest nation on Earth, yet in every intenational competition at every age level we are among the shortest teams. My thinking is that is has something to do with it being a predominately working-class sport from mainly the eastern parts of Oslo, but one would think that the height differences in egalitarian Norway would be washed out by now? Just checked one of the US Leagues (can't remember which one) that had 540 or so players from the US, and around 30 players from Canada, yet all Three of the tallest players were Canadian. Everybody knows that in Canada everybody plays hockey regardsless of social class. But how is that in the US? Seems more like a regional thing than something related to social class?

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
This is probably a bit OT, but it is a lasting annoyance that Norway seem to produce short hockey players. We are the 4th tallest nation on Earth, yet in every intenational competition at every age level we are among the shortest teams. My thinking is that is has something to do with it being a predominately working-class sport from mainly the eastern parts of Oslo, but one would think that the height differences in egalitarian Norway would be washed out by now? Just checked one of the US Leagues (can't remember which one) that had 540 or so players from the US, and around 30 players from Canada, yet all Three of the tallest players were Canadian. Everybody knows that in Canada everybody plays hockey regardsless of social class. But how is that in the US? Seems more like a regional thing than something related to social class?

Is this a fact?

Pretty strange if so, since we're not really/barely on the grid in basketball, volleyball and handball(mens).

When it comes to Zucca, hopefully Rangers will play a more playing style of hockey, so both he and linemates/rest of forwards can thrive.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Is this a fact?

Pretty strange if so, since we're not really/barely on the grid in basketball, volleyball and handball(mens).

When it comes to Zucca, hopefully Rangers will play a more playing style of hockey, so both he and linemates/rest of forwards can thrive.

Well, I haven't studied at a graduate level, but it goes for all current IIHF tournaments at least. We are the shortest second only to Belarus at the worlds, and that's without Zuke. The Belarusian example is quite illustrative as they are the proper last Soviet state, and everybody working class by definition / eat potatoes all day.
It also goes for the U20 and U18 tournaments, at least in comparison With the Danes that should be pretty similiar in height. In the last U18 tournament we were the shortest of all. Every draft I get dissapointed of how few Norwegians make it, especially compare to the Danes, even though we are very comparable in overall skills. But the problem seems to be, every year, that we cultivate midget hockeyplayers for some reason, all ending up in Europe. Decent careers and all, but just to small for the NHL.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
It should be noted that despite Norway being the richest nation in our Galaxy, it's Capital is also very much divided east / west. People in the west live on average 10 years longer, and men are 1,3 cm taller in the west (according to the Health Agency of the City Council). All six currently running ice rinks are in the east, and Zuke's Family in Norway is very much rooted in east.

MY GOD, this off-season needs to end.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
found at another Board;

In the Dobber Hockey 2013-14 Fantasy Guide, they predict the following point totals for the Rangers Right Wings:
-Ryan Callahan: 65 games, 24 goals, 22 assists (1st PP unit)
-Carl Hagelin: 64 games, 14 goals, 22 assists (2nd PP unit)
-Mats Zuccarello: 72 games, 16 goals, 26 assists (2nd PP unit)
-Derek Dorsett: 72 games, 6 goals, 20 assists
-Arron Asham: 62 games, 3 goals, eight assists
-Danny Kristo: 24 games, 1 goal, 7 assists

They have Callahan, Hagelin and Zuccarello seeing PP time.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

It has to do with the popularity of other sports. American football, basketball and baseball are the predominant sports in the US so most of the bigger kids play football or basketball, not hockey. It is much less expensive.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It has to do with the popularity of other sports. American football, basketball and baseball are the predominant sports in the US so most of the bigger kids play football or basketball, not hockey. It is much less expensive.

Well in the US there is a huge lack of rinks, especially when you go towards the south. But that's not to say that kids can't play pick up hockey on the street. All you need is a hockey stick, a tennis ball, and a makeshift net. I feel the NHL could do a lot more in promoting hockey as a sport for the kids that eventually become their consumers

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Can you give me that link or post it here other predicted stats for Rangers?

I'll see if I can find the rest too...

In the Dobber Hockey 2013-14 Fantasy Guide, they predict the following point totals for the Rangers Left Wings:

-Rick Nash: 76 games, 38 goals and 34 assists
-Chris Kreider: 74 games, 13 goals and 16 assists
-Benoit Pouliot: 17 goals and 22 assists
-Taylor Pyatt: 74 games 10 goals and 8 assists
-Darroll Powe: 2 goals and 7 assists

Championship*

Don't take Dobber's projections to heart. This is a guy who last year wrote in his guide that Redden was going to get a chance with the Rangers last season.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Can you give me that link or post it here other predicted stats for Rangers?

Found some more..

In the Dobber Hockey 2013-14 Fantasy Guide, they predict the following point totals for the Rangers Centers:

-Derek Stepan: 81 games, 29 goals and 46 assists
-Derick Brassard: 74 games, 21 goals and 31 assists
-Brad Richards: 76 games, 16 goals and 34 assist
-Dominic Moore: 73 games, 10 goals and 15 assists
-Brian Boyle: 71 games, 10 goals and 9 assists
-JT Miller: 14 games, 2 goals and 6 assists

They have Stepan and Richards on the on the first PP unit and Brassard on the second PP unit

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Found some more..

If you use those numbers (stolen from Glennsoe's post), which leaves out the entire defense from scoring a single goal, would give the Rangers 232 goals. That would have been good for 10th in the NHL in the last full season. If you take just the career per-game averages of the D to date:

Del Zotto - 8 goals
Falk - 1 goal
Girardi - 5 goals
McDonagh - 6 goals
J. Moore - 3 goals
Staal - 5 goals
Stralman - 4 goals

They would have tied Philly for the 3rd best offence in the league at 264, without any improvement from one of the youngest D-corps in the NHL. I'd be ecstatic if those numbers were true, but I don't buy it. This team has about a 1% likelihood of finishing in the top-3 league-wide offenses, but if they do, they should run away with the President's Trophy, Vezina/Jennings, and whatever they are calling the "Conference" winnner's trophy this year.

In the last 3 seasons (pro-rating this past year to 82 games), the Rangers have averaged giving up 192 goals. Do you see this team and roster being +72 in GF/GA differential? That's better than Pittsburgh/Boston last year, and only Vancouver's 2010 and Washington's 2009 have beaten that mark. Only 6 teams since the lockout (not including Chicago this year, although they were on pace for it) have been +70 or higher. Only twice in the last 4 seasons has it happened. Those are some lofty expectations...

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Personally I'm eager for some more Zuke news. How was his flight? Did he fly business class, treating himself with the extra leg-space? If so, he will be a Ranger for a long time, based on the confidence level. Important stuff. Did his au-friend get the same service? So many questions. (Such a long off-season.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad