Confirmed with Link: Mats Zuccarello Re-signs (1 year, $1.15M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
This is a good post. I agree with every word.

Im just trying to find out why Zuccarello gets so much attention, and the only reason I can think of is because hes short and hes Norwegian. And, thats just not a good enough reason to be above criticism for me.

At least 1/3, if not even more of this thread is about other players to.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I have zero,nada knowledge about NY. I ment where its popular for hockey players to live (I have read that they have an expensive lifestyle). Is 1.15 before taxes enough, when most of your teammates earn a lot more?

A lot of the guys live up in Westchester in the White Plains area. They sometimes spend more time at the practice facility close by than at the Garden in midtown, which is only a 30-45 minute drive down. It's also a lot cheaper to live up there

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
I have zero,nada knowledge about NY. I ment where its popular for hockey players to live (I have read that they have an expensive lifestyle). Is 1.15 before taxes enough, when most of your teammates earn a lot more?

He should look for something in Little Italy. Everything is tiny.
A bit dissapointing actually. There's more Italians in the Bronx?

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It has been eaten up? Such a shame. A city's "interesting" factor is directly linked to its level of diversity.

NYC is probably still the runaway #1 in the world, but decline is always sad.

What's left is a stretch of Mulberry street going from Canal up to about Kenmare street. There's not really any Italians that live there anymore, just Italian families that come in to run their overpriced restaurants, with Latin Americans running the kitchens. All it is now is a tourist trap like Tijuana, Mexico

There's almost no immigration from Italy anymore, but there's plenty of diversity from many other parts of the world that come here every day

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
What's left is a stretch of Mulberry street going from Canal up to about Kenmare street. There's not really any Italians that live there anymore, just Italian families that come in to run their overpriced restaurants, with Latin Americans running the kitchens. All it is now is a tourist trap like Tijuana, Mexico

There's almost no immigration from Italy anymore, but there's plenty of diversity from many other parts of the world that come here every day

Was staying there last year, in Soho. One corner that looked a bit Italian, but felt a bit artifical. But then again, Zuke is not really Italian, just 5 % or so. He could blend in. The Bronx would probably be a bit rough, even for him:) Morris Park seems to be the option.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Depends on your life style. He doesn't need a car, although he may want one. Not all apartments are 3,000-5,000 per month. That depends on how close he wants to be to MSG. If you're talking about walking distance than he's going to have to pay a higher price. If he's not going out for sushi every night than his $700,000'ish (roughly 33% - which will give him money back at the end of the year.) after taxes is more than enough to live in the city. People do it on 100k salary before taxes are taken out, so I don't see why he can't live a richer life style than them. He'll have to take money out to pay his agent and whatever benefits they have, but he's got plenty to live in the city.

Plus, he may be rooming with somebody on the team.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Depends on your life style. He doesn't need a car, although he may want one. Not all apartments are 3,000-5,000 per month. That depends on how close he wants to be to MSG. If you're talking about walking distance than he's going to have to pay a higher price. If he's not going out for sushi every night than his $700,000'ish (roughly 33% - which will give him money back at the end of the year.) after taxes is more than enough to live in the city. People do it on 100k salary before taxes are taken out, so I don't see why he can't live a richer life style than them. He'll have to take money out to pay his agent and whatever benefits they have, but he's got plenty to live in the city.

Plus, he may be rooming with somebody on the team.

Plus they get stipends when on the road for food and they don't pay for lodging etc.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Plus they get stipends when on the road for food and they don't pay for lodging etc.
The lodging on the road doesn't help them at home because players have to pay rent for the whole month, not just the days they live there.

With a capped league, the Rangers are at a severe disadvantage. It costs substantially more to live here yet the team isn't allowed to pay them any more than players living in Phoenix or Minnesota. The CBA should have provisions for cost of living adjustments, maybe even allow teams to rent out apartments for the players to live in

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
The lodging on the road doesn't help them at home because players have to pay rent for the whole month, not just the days they live there.

With a capped league, the Rangers are at a severe disadvantage. It costs substantially more to live here yet the team isn't allowed to pay them any more than players living in Phoenix or Minnesota. The CBA should have provisions for cost of living adjustments, maybe even allow teams to rent out apartments for the players to live in

But then again, more People wants to live in NY than e.g. Minnesota. They can afford it.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC

Way too complicated. What about states with no income tax? What about Canada? The few places that have no state taxes are generally not free agent havens. You can't adjust for everything.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I'm sure it's plenty. Not enough for the Theo Fleury lifestyle, but...

Bardof425*

Your misadventure is that he is not an offensive player. I guess you don't understand that defensive play, PK, faceoffs, etc also have a impact on the game.

He was also one of our best players in the playoffs for 2 years in a row. Offensively, too.

what does he belongs on the 4th line have to do with understanding the attributes he does have? Read much?

I fully understand what he's good at and those skills should have him on the 4th line; period. Whether he was all that good in the playoffs is a debate we can certainly have but enough with the childish "you don't understand defense" crap. he is a defensive forward, one who does not produce enough offense to play anywhere but on the 4th line. Back to Zook.

I believe in him and love the signing.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I liked that Boyle was one of our best players in the playoffs all while playing on the 3rd line.

Zucc was one of our best post-season players too so I'm happy he's back

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Way too complicated. What about states with no income tax? What about Canada? The few places that have no state taxes are generally not free agent havens. You can't adjust for everything.

Like I said, free housing. Allow teams to rent out places for players for free. That automatically adjusts for the area in question

Bardof425*

I liked that Boyle was one of our best players in the playoffs all while playing on the 3rd line.

Did ya?

Centers

Stepan
Brassard
Richards
?????

There were times where Torts played Richards with 4th line wingers but it's not quite that simple to say Boyle was our 3rd line center.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Against the Caps he was. He had serious problems against a big and physical team like the Bruins -- thats my major concern about him. Can be deliver vs. those types of teams?

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Did ya?

Centers

Stepan
Brassard
Richards
?????

There were times where Torts played Richards with 4th line wingers but it's not quite that simple to say Boyle was our 3rd line center.
Did he not play 3rd line wing with Brass and Zucc. I seem to recall that :dunno:

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Against the Caps he was. He had serious problems against a big and physical team like the Bruins -- thats my major concern about him. Can be deliver vs. those types of teams?
I think that's the big question, one that I just can't answer right now. It's gonna have to be a "wait and see" situation. No excuses

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Did he not play 3rd line wing with Brass and Zucc. I seem to recall that :dunno:

Brassard and Hagelin.

It was

Nash Stepan Callahan
Clowe Richards Zuccarello
Hagelin Brassard Boyle
Pyatt Powe Asham

Down the stretch

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
He did, but that much. He played 26.2 % of his playoff icetime alongside Zuccarello and 17.3% alongside Brassard.

But simple math dictates that a player who gets over 15 minutes of even-strength ice-time in the playoffs is not being used as a fourth liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad