Confirmed with Link: Mats Zuccarello Re-signs (1 year, $1.15M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Can't the team walk away from the salary that is awarded, ultimately making him a UFA?

It has to be a certain number to walk away. I believe RB said it was 3.5 million, so he's basically coming back unless Slats tells him to sign in Russia and breach the contract.

Kershaw

good decision for both sides to evaluate over full season hopefully.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Can only walk away from an award that is higher than $3.5M, IIRC. Zuccarello won't get anything more than that.

It has to be a certain number to walk away. I believe RB said it was 3.5 million, so he's basically coming back unless Slats tells him to sign in Russia and breach the contract.

Gotcha. Thanks. And yeah, Zuccs ain't getting a 3.5M+ award. lol

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Does it mean they couldn't agree on a contract and someone else decides the whole contract?

Do this 3rd party decide the lenght, if it's a 1 way or 2 way contract and such?

After the 3rd party has come to a solution, is that the final offer?

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Mashinter Will sign next - For a Low caphit. Then remins Stepan, which is a little bit uneasy

Zomg Mashinter signing before Stepan??!! Clearly means that this organization doesn't care about Stepan!!! He should bail to Russia!

I think Zucc should get 2 years at 1.5~1.75 each.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Most likely they are close and Slats told Meehan to file as a protection but they will get a deal done before the arbitration takes place.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I don't think it's for protection, I think it's a declaration that Zuccarello wants to play in the NHL for the Rangers. Once he files for arbitration, he can't sign a contract in Europe.

I don't think money is a big issue and that a contract will be agreed on before the hearing.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I don't think it's for protection, I think it's a declaration that Zuccarello wants to play in the NHL for the Rangers. Once he files for arbitration, he can't sign a contract in Europe.

I don't think money is a big issue and that a contract will be agreed on before the hearing.

Didn't something similar happen where Jiri Hudler signed in Europe before his arbitration date a couple of years back?

member 116805

Read on twitter that if a player files, the team will get an additional buy out window (Richards)? Does anyone know if this is fact/fiction?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Random thought/question:

Can a player's rights be traded after filing for arbitration but before the hearing?

Essentially, any team that would have traded for Zucc previously would have to take some risk that he wasn't going to bolt to Europe. Now that risk is removed.

Not that it's likely at all...I'm just curious more than anything else.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Most likely they are close and Slats told Meehan to file as a protection but they will get a deal done before the arbitration takes place.

Why would Sather tell him that? It just forces his hand from a negotiating standpoint.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Read on twitter that if a player files, the team will get an additional buy out window (Richards)? Does anyone know if this is fact/fiction?

Fact but it's not for compliance buyouts.

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 8s
Zuccarello filing gives NYR a short second buyout window later this summer but amnesty buyouts are not permitted then.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Why would Sather tell him that? It just forces his hand from a negotiating standpoint.

Not really. Rangers want him, he wants to play here, it's just a game of finding a mutual number.
By filing, the Rangers basically ensure at least another year of Zucc. He can't run to Europe, or can't sign an offer sheet.
Advantage Sather.

member 116805

Fact but it's not for compliance buyouts.

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 8s
Zuccarello filing gives NYR a short second buyout window later this summer but amnesty buyouts are not permitted then.

Alright, thanks!
Knew that would have been too good to be true, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad