Confirmed with Link: Matiss Kivlenieks has passed away at age 24

Kivi

Jul 15, 2021
"Full story now is they went to Michigan to celebrate our goalie coach’s daughter getting married (Manny Legacy) on 4th of July. While they were celebrating fireworks went off and M80’s tipped over and started firing directly at people. One was heading right for Elvis and his Wife who is roughly 7-8 months pregnant and he blocked it for them. Elvis said it was going to go into a crowd of roughly 50 people and then explode. Kivi stopped it by taking it directly to the chest ultimately giving up his own life for Elvis, his family and everyone there"

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
I didn't get a chance to watch the service. I assume most of the players on both the CBJ and the Monsters showed up to pay their respects?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I didn't get a chance to watch the service. I assume most of the players on both the CBJ and the Monsters showed up to pay their respects?
Probably a good number. They never showed the attendees much on camera other than a behind view of the room so there is no real idea of who was there. I saw what appeared to be Torts and his wife sitting next to Brad Shaw and his wife in front of the camera angle. That's about all I could pick out for sure.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
You may see 80 retired league wide considering the sacrifice
I'm not sure they'll go that far. Plenty of other NHL players have died while still in the league and none of them ever got their numbers retired by teams they never played for.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
"Full story now is they went to Michigan to celebrate our goalie coach’s daughter getting married (Manny Legacy) on 4th of July. While they were celebrating fireworks went off and M80’s tipped over and started firing directly at people. One was heading right for Elvis and his Wife who is roughly 7-8 months pregnant and he blocked it for them. Elvis said it was going to go into a crowd of roughly 50 people and then explode. Kivi stopped it by taking it directly to the chest ultimately giving up his own life for Elvis, his family and everyone there"
Makes sense why Elvis said he stopped the last shot on the day he died.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Again, because of the sacrifice.
I think there might be some missing context around the Elvis quote that is being passed around since we weren’t there but I can see where Elvis is coming from with how he feels. Either way, I believe he will be honored appropriately. They may not officially retire his number but they may never give it out again. Maybe Cleveland would be more appropriate to officially retire it. I expect more of a jersey patch.

Reactions: Fro

Kivi

Jul 15, 2021
I think there might be some missing context around the Elvis quote that is being passed around since we weren’t there but I can see where Elvis is coming from with how he feels. Either way, I believe he will be honored appropriately. They may not officially retire his number but they may never give it out again. Maybe Cleveland would be more appropriate to officially retire it. I expect more of a jersey patch.

I'm not sure what context you think could be missing. Really going on a limb on that one.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's guaranteed we retire it.
It's an odd situation for the team since no numbers are retired. There was a player for the Pittsburgh Penguins, Michel Briere who died in a car accident after his rookie season with the team. His number was never worn again although it was retired 20 years later-after Mario Lemieux came out of retirement to play one more game and his number was retired. Briere's number was retired 9 days after Lemieux's was.

While Brière was hospitalized, the Penguins started pre-season conditioning near Brantford. Then-trainer Ken Carson added Brière's name to the back of a jersey, which, along with Brière's equipment bag, traveled with the team for their entire 1970–71 season.
Brière's number 21 was not retired immediately by the team, but no one ever wore it again. A framed jersey hung with his photo in the Igloo Club, located inside the Pittsburgh Civic Arena, as the only visible sign that the number was retired. According to Carson, "No one ever asked to wear that number (21). If they had, I would have told them Mike's story." Brière's number was officially retired on January 5, 2001, nine days after Penguins' co-owner Mario Lemieux came out of retirement to once again wear his number 66. Brière and Lemieux are the only two players in Penguins' history to have their numbers retired.[2]

Michel Brière - Wikipedia

I'd speculate that the CBJ will follow that model. Rick Nash will have his number retired and Kivi's number 80 will soon follow-although I wouldn't fault the team for not retiring it given that he played less than 10 games for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig