Confirmed with Link: Matiss Kivlenieks has passed away at age 24

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
It's an odd situation for the team since no numbers are retired. There was a player for the Pittsburgh Penguins, Michel Briere who died in a car accident after his rookie season with the team. His number was never worn again although it was retired 20 years later-after Mario Lemieux came out of retirement to play one more game and his number was retired. Briere's number was retired 9 days after Lemieux's was.

Michel Brière - Wikipedia

I'd speculate that the CBJ will follow that model. Rick Nash will have his number retired and Kivi's number 80 will soon follow-although I wouldn't fault the team for not retiring it given that he played less than 10 games for them.
Should be nobody take his number out of respect if not retired number. Also, think should be award each year for best Blue Jacket goalie. Name it after him and keep the name a legend in the organization.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It's an odd situation for the team since no numbers are retired.

I was thinking this very thing. I’m in favor of them retiring the number, but it’s dicey because of the lack of history. I thought perhaps, not unlike the Briere situation in Pittsburgh, they might make a team ring of honor or hall of fame or something and make the first ‘class’ like 4 guys and include Matiss.

given that he played less than 10 games for them.

This also complicates matters, when we start talking about retiring numbers and naming an award after him etc. I don’t know how to bring up the topic without sounding like a jerk but, while all the good stuff people are saying about him is true — he overachieved, realized his dream, was apparently not only a good teammate but the kind of guy people genuinely liked — I’m having a hard time figuring what is appropriate given his limited on-ice contributions. (Yes, I’m aware he gave his life, perhaps sacrificially to save his teammate and family. I’m also aware I don’t have to figure out what’s appropriate.)

Last edited:

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
If Manny, Elvis and the Kivlenieks family want the jersey retired then I'm all for it and vice versa. I believe this situation calls for that type of honor if that is what those close to him want.

Reactions: leafsgirl12

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm not sure what context you think could be missing. Really going on a limb on that one.
Not going out on a limb, just not going to go into discussion on it. This isn’t the time or place for it. He’s absolutely a hero for being in the way of something that could have injured Elvis, his family or others. I just don’t want to be taken out of context.

Reactions: Nanabijou and Fro

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
If not retiring his number, what about naming 1 of the luxury suites after him.
kivlenieks corner. Have his name and number visible when anyone looks up in that direction. That'll be used for when minor league hockey kids, sick kids, military people, or even the players moms or dads get invited to a game.

They could also find a spot in the arena and have a small shrine dedicated to him with a picture, game used jersey and stick and whatever else they want to add.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
If not retiring his number, what about naming 1 of the luxury suites after him.
kivlenieks corner. Have his name and number visible when anyone looks up in that direction. That'll be used for when minor league hockey kids, sick kids, military people, or even the players moms or dads get invited to a game.

They could also find a spot in the arena and have a small shrine dedicated to him with a picture, game used jersey and stick and whatever else they want to add.

My thoughts were one of the towers

Reactions: punk_o_holic

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
I think there might be some missing context around the Elvis quote that is being passed around since we weren’t there but I can see where Elvis is coming from with how he feels. Either way, I believe he will be honored appropriately. They may not officially retire his number but they may never give it out again. Maybe Cleveland would be more appropriate to officially retire it. I expect more of a jersey patch.
Elvis said even the doctor said Matiss died a hero

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
Probably a good number. They never showed the attendees much on camera other than a behind view of the room so there is no real idea of who was there. I saw what appeared to be Torts and his wife sitting next to Brad Shaw and his wife in front of the camera angle. That's about all I could pick out for sure.
i know Nathan Gerbe was there since i found a article and tweet with some of what he said

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
I was thinking this very thing. I’m in favor of them retiring the number, but it’s dicey because of the lack of history. I thought perhaps, not unlike the Briere situation in Pittsburgh, they might make a team ring of honor or hall of fame or something and make the first ‘class’ like 4 guys and include Matiss.

Several years ago, right around the time the cannon first appeared, I suggested (under an old account I lost access to due to shifting e-mails addresses) that each year there be a ceremony at the start of each season to engrave the prior year's "team mvp" (whatever you want to call it as justification) into the barrel of the cannon. Add others as needed (on and off ice personnel) as needed for their contributions to the team.

First class = Mr. Mac, Nash, Foligno (? someone else instead whom I'm overlooking), Matiss

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Several years ago, right around the time the cannon first appeared, I suggested (under an old account I lost access to due to shifting e-mails addresses) that each year there be a ceremony at the start of each season to engrave the prior year's "team mvp" (whatever you want to call it as justification) into the barrel of the cannon. Add others as needed (on and off ice personnel) as needed for their contributions to the team.

First class = Mr. Mac, Nash, Foligno (? someone else instead whom I'm overlooking), Matiss

Yes. Something like this.

Someone brought up… we just need to mentally separate the cannon’s purpose from what happened to Matiss, right?

Reactions: Madifer

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Yeah, maybe a device designed to fire projectiles is not the proper item to memorialize but there could be something in the arena around the general concept.

Dammit. Yes, this would be the definition of "not a good look". Hadn't thought about that.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Nope. The only debate is the extent of the misery being self-inflicted vs. The Hockey Gods hating our guts.

Its obviously both :/

The thing is: the exodus that started with bob and bread is irrational and is giving Cbus a bad name for the future. 'The city noone wants to play in'. I mean Cbus is a way nicer place than Philly/Detroit yet those two shitholes do not have such a reputation.

The rebuild will take years (and its fine) but once the team is a borderline contender again, the circle that can't be unbroken could repeat itself again :/

Maybe the destiny of this franchise is to suffer. To suffer between illusions while getting excited when the next one comes, hoping it will be different this time.. while Im some weird russian guy from Belgium, whatever rules I followed have brought me here. To the most amazing, beautifully trashy franchise in the league that needs moral support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4