Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barzal went through this weird portion of the season with Islander fans where we went:

1.) wow he's pretty good, hopefully he keeps it up.

2.) this guy is going to be a great second line center to Tavares

3.) and then we had this portion of the season where some of us were thinking he actually is BETTER than Tavares.

Don't get me wrong, they are two totally different players, but Barzal is all about where this game is going. The slower skating players are not where this game is heading towards. People on here tend to forget just how highly touted he was going into his draft year before an off ice injury ruined his season. This is a guy who most likely would've been a top five pick and the only reason he would not have been the #1 forward was because of how highly touted and ready McDavid and Eichel were.

If I had to nitpick on Barzal it would be that I would like the shot to get a bit faster, but the thing is with how fast he is and how accurate a passer he is he finds space to get a shot off all the time.

Going from Capuano and Weight to Trotz is going to do wonders for Barzal. Trotz has had players go through slumps and had players take on bigger roles than before, he has EXPERIENCE dealing with situations such as this. Barzal will be fine this season no matter how bad the team does. It may take him a little while to get used to playing top defenses all the time, but he will get used to it because of his immense skill set.

Barzal is going to be fine. After the christmas break teams were equally if not more matching him up with top pairing and or top lines. As great as his season was, and it bodes well for him his scoring did not tail off, as much as we were reminded by some the sample of games is too small, he kept passing each hurdle people put in his way. He didn't score until his 6th game for those that remember despite playing well. He had 85 points in his last 76 games in reality. This is quality production.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Barzal is going to be fine. After the christmas break teams were equally if not more matching him up with top pairing and or top lines. As great as his season was, and it bodes well for him his scoring did not tail off, as much as we were reminded by some the sample of games is too small, he kept passing each hurdle people put in his way. He didn't score until his 6th game for those that remember despite playing well. He had 85 points in his last 76 games in reality. This is quality production.
I remember specifically chatting with you in the prospect thread that despite not getting any points in his first six games Barzal was creating chances. It was only a matter of time before the points came and boy did they ever.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I remember specifically chatting with you in the prospect thread that despite not getting any points in his first six games Barzal was creating chances. It was only a matter of time before the points came and boy did they ever.

I remember this. Good observation and call there. It was only a matter of time the dam burst. Barzal is a chance generating machine. The points would naturally follow. Something tells we will be in for much the same thing this season. If players can finish his passes, he is going to put up points.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Can't both his opinions be correct?

For most of us, he was already better than Traitor last year. And for most of us, he is already one of the best Centers in the game. There are always going to be doubters that are going to imply can he do it without Judas on the team, or insist on a 2nd season. But I think for most true Barzal believers we know with his talent, he is already well on his way there, if he isn't already. There are some media outlets that already list Barzy as one of the top Centers in the game. Doubters will always doubt. Believers will always believe. Thanks.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
For most of us, he was already better than Traitor last year. And for most of us, he is already one of the best Centers in the game. There are always going to be doubters that are going to imply can he do it without Judas on the team, or insist on a 2nd season. But I think for most true Barzal believers we know with his talent, he is already well on his way there, if he isn't already. There are some media outlets that already list Barzy as one of the top Centers in the game. Doubters will always doubt. Believers will always believe. Thanks.
I am just really wary of calling Barzal a proven commodity just yet. I think he can be much better than Tavares (he has shown so much more than JT did in his rookie year and yes, did in many ways outshine JT last season) but he is still just a rookie entering his sophomore season. Islander fans, heck everyone, is expecting a lot from him. Is he a great player? Yes, but until he proves he can do what he did last year again I am not sure I would classify him as "one of the best Centers in the game"

Agree to disagree. I love Barzal and hope he takes the 1C spot and runs with it

Reactions: YearlyLottery

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am just really wary of calling Barzal a proven commodity just yet. I think he can be much better than Tavares (he has shown so much more than JT did in his rookie year and yes, did in many ways outshine JT last season) but he is still just a rookie entering his sophomore season. Islander fans, heck everyone, is expecting a lot from him. Is he a great player? Yes, but until he proves he can do what he did last year again I am not sure I would classify him as "one of the best Centers in the game"

Fair enough. I for one is not expecting him to fall off too much next year. Barzal has too much talent. I said it back in 2015, and I am going to stick with him. So not unexpectedly, I am going to stick being pro bullish on Barzal. He has not let me or his fans down yet.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Fair enough. I for one is not expecting him to fall off too much next year. Barzal has too much talent. I said it back in 2015, and I am going to stick with him. So not unexpectedly, I am going to stick being pro bullish on Barzal. He has not let me or his fans down yet.
It doesn't help that as the offseason drags on, the memory of Barzal playing for us feels increasingly like some fever dream - I have to rewatch his season highlights and stare at his stats sometimes to remind myself. It is still surreal to me what he accomplished.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

I am not wary, he is a proven commodity. I guess if he were a #1 or #2 overall, you would have no reservations?

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I am not wary, he is a proven commodity. I guess if he were a #1 or #2 overall, you would have no reservations?
Probably would have less reservations, but a PPG pace as a rookie is still so incredible I would want to see a repeat before considering it a guarantee. Remember when Mackinnon scored 63 as a rookie and then (until he exploded this recent season) spent multiple seasons under that threshold? It can happen. Not saying Barzal's talent is gonna go away but his new role as 1C and the absence of Tavares could negatively affect his production, at least at first.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Probably would have less reservations, but a PPG pace as a rookie is still so incredible I would want to see a repeat before considering it a guarantee. Remember when Mackinnon scored 63 as a rookie and then (until he exploded this recent season) spent multiple seasons under that threshold? It can happen. Not saying Barzal's talent is gonna go away but his new role as 1C and the absence of Tavares could negatively affect his production, at least at first.

I think one thing to keep in mind with regards to MacKinnon's "regression" is, he suffered an injury (believe it was a leg) that took some time to get back on track from. His sophomore year, he missed 18 games due to the injury. The next year, he finished with 52 points in 72 games, which isn't great, but it's not too bad considering how low scoring Colorado is. His next year he had 53 points, but on a team that finished dead last in scoring with a total of 166 goals scored. He was in on almost a third of their goals, so if they'd scored even in the 210-220 range (which still isn't great), you're looking at around 70-75 points. This last year needs no commentary.

I also think an edge Barzal has over MacKinnon is I think he's got a higher hockey IQ. He sees the ice better, whereas MacKinnon relies a bit more on just his natural skill and speed. So in theory, it should be easier for Barzal to adapt when things aren't working than it was for MacKinnon to make adjustments when things aren't working.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
It would be a ton of fun if Barzal gets out of the gate this year with like 1o points in 5 games and pajama boy slugs out to 2 points in 5 games. If would be tough for us NYI fans to hold our tongues but it would be fun to lurk over in the Toronto boards. I think personally Barzal has that "it" factor to show the hockey world he wants to be the best.

Reactions: bigtim1988

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’m expecting the Traitor to have a monster year. He’s going to be super motivated in front of his childhood town, he’s playing w a lot of talent, he’s in his prime, he’ll be sheltered in some ways behind Matthews.

Reactions: bigtim1988

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I’m expecting the Traitor to have a monster year. He’s going to be super motivated in front of his childhood town, he’s playing w a lot of talent, he’s in his prime, he’ll be sheltered in some ways behind Matthews.

I expect him to get 75-85. For starters I am not sure he will mesh with Marner as people expect and while he might increase his 5vs5 Points over 60 stat he will probably play less minutes a game. In general Tavares seems to be best off with guys that will go to the front of the net to distract the other team enough to give him room to score or find an open man

Reactions: ndgolden

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I expect him to get 75-85. For starters I am not sure he will mesh with Marner as people expect and while he might increase his 5vs5 Points over 60 stat he will probably play less minutes a game. In general Tavares seems to be best off with guys that will go to the front of the net to distract the other team enough to give him room to score or find an open man

Marner will open up space for him and feed him around the net. Think it’s a good fit.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'd expect Marner to play the Parenteau/Bailey role rather than the Moulson/Lee role. A guy like Marleau will probably be the one to drive the net.

But I do agree his numbers likely won't be as good as some (Leaf) fans are predicting, largely because I don't think he'll get the cushy ice time that he got in New York. Particularly if Babcock sticks with the two PP units thing.

In comparison, that's why I think Barzal can still thrive. Now the PP runs basically through him, and so any time the Isles score, chances are Barzal will have a touch on the puck to earn a point.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'd expect Marner to play the Parenteau/Bailey role rather than the Moulson/Lee role. A guy like Marleau will probably be the one to drive the net.

But I do agree his numbers likely won't be as good as some (Leaf) fans are predicting, largely because I don't think he'll get the cushy ice time that he got in New York. Particularly if Babcock sticks with the two PP units thing.

Another big difference will be I don't see Babcock putting up with minute+ long shifts like the Islander coaches allowed

Reactions: dood and ndgolden

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

In comparison, that's why I think Barzal can still thrive. Now the PP runs basically through him, and so any time the Isles score, chances are Barzal will have a touch on the puck to earn a point.
I pretty much agree with you on everything here regarding Traitor's upcoming year. I think Leafs fans are in for a rude awakening if they think he will score 90-100 is in the bag.

He's not going to get the prime mins he got away with on the Island. For all the talk about the teams Judas has been a part of he has yet to score more than 86 pts. Last was a near career best at 84 pts, and I can say for me last season was the most games I have seen him play, he left me underwhelmed. When you watch Tavares more the more you get to know he is more overrated than underrated. I had my doubts well before he signed this summer, so I believe Lou may have got out of a bad contract that will hurt later on.

I can see Judas hitting 75 points area next season splitting time with Kadri and Matthews. Marner will play the Bailey role, and it is similar on The Island that Marner was not the best 5v5 player as Marleau is not either to add to Tavares who was not great 5v5 last season too.

So it will be interesting based on the high expectations of how Tavares does now, and even more so maybe Barzal get's Judas prime mins now that maybe he is in a position to do even better.

As I have said many times here. I am not worried about Barzal. When you have a player of his skating. Puck handling, and vision of the ice that can pass like him. It is only inevitable when he puts up numbers.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

This is how I see the Marner role, ala PAP. PAP opened up a lot of space for JT by carrying the puck into the zone and setting up around the net.
JT needs to be complemented w speed and quickness.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Wow, Tavares sheltered behind two-year veteran Matthews.

Wild!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm going to make 2 predictions this season.

1 Barzal will outscore Judas Traitor again.

2. Barzal (If he plays 82 games) will hit the 90 pts milestone this seaon.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Wow, Tavares sheltered behind two-year veteran Matthews.

Wild!

It actually could happen. Kadri's the guy Babcock uses as his match-up center, and I think Matthews by the end of this year will have separated himself from Tavares as a player, to the point Babcock probably starts giving him more minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad