Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Ha! But seriously, didn't he have one game vs TB where his job was to shut down their top line and he did just that?

I don’t remember but I have an affinity for guys who can skate and transport the puck. I know he turned it over but he’s gotta learn and play out of it. I’m excited to see Trotz coach him.

I like players which really good speed and skating ability in the PK because they can attack the puck carrier and be on them quickly and recover quickly if need be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tavares Is A Leaf

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
I don’t remember but I have an affinity for guys who can skate and transport the puck. I know he turned it over but he’s gotta learn and oaky our of hit. I’m excited to see Trotz coach him.

I like players which really good speed and skating ability in the PK because they can attack the puck carrier and be on them quickly and recover quickly if need be.
I’m usually pretty good figuring out autocorrects or mistype but the bold really lost me?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I’m usually pretty good figuring out autocorrects or mistype but the bold really lost me?

It’s Capuano speak, just like “Battle Haad... Swaggah... Puck had eyes...”

I’m pretty sure “oaky our of hit,” was Brian Strait’s specialty. :sarcasm:

LIKE THIS POST BECAUSE YOU KNOW TAVARES AND LEAFS CHOKE!

Last edited:

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
When you have a weapon like Barzal, you use him IMHO. I recall Al Arbour using Bossy on the PK in the dynasty years. Barzal also has a very high rate of creating turnovers. I believe he could be a crazy good penalty killer.
Mike Bossy has 1 career short handed goal-during the regular season. Zero in the playoffs. He could help kill penalties, however.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Mike Bossy has 1 career short handed goal-during the regular season. Zero in the playoffs. He could help kill penalties, however.

I love what he said about Al Arbour. If you did not pay attention to defence. No matter how great a scorer you were, you would not see the ice. Bossy was a lot better defensively than he will ever get credit for.

Reactions: Tavares Is A Leaf

Gleb2006

Aug 11, 2010
Not sure if Art reported it, but i saw Barzal at Northwell last night. (Son had hockey practice--looks like they had a skate prior to the kids practice) Definitely looks bigger this year than when I used to see him around last year. Seems like a pretty good sign

Just have to hope it doesn't slow him down if he is significantly bigger

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
If this team makes the playoffs I think it will be on the back of the coaching staff and Barzal. If that happens I could see Barzal adding to his Calder trophy.

Reactions: bigtim1988

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think this year it is very possible that Barzal wins the Hart. There's no excuse like last year riding on someone else coat-tails. If he does another 85+ season, he is worth more to this team than any other player and their team.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think this year it is very possible that Barzal wins the Hart. There's no excuse like last year riding on someone else coat-tails. If he does another 85+ season, he is worth more to this team than any other player and their team.

Unless Barzal puts up a 100 point season and the Isles at least contend for the playoffs, then maybe. With the team in a transition year, I don't think this is the year.

I'd say his days of Hart candidacy starts at 2019-2020 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad