Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
He's so freaking good. Honestly should have another point but Pelech was evidently caught off guard by Barzal's creativity.

Regardless of the point totals, he stands out and creates every time he's on the ice. There is no question that Tavares leaving won't hurt his effectiveness.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
He's so freaking good. Honestly should have another point but Pelech was evidently caught off guard by Barzal's creativity.

Regardless of the point totals, he stands out and creates every time he's on the ice. There is no question that Tavares leaving won't hurt his effectiveness.
That was never even a question for me. He’s better than every player on the ice unless we’re playing the Oilers. It doesn’t matter how much other teams focus on him.

Reactions: PWJunior

Spybot

May 12, 2014
I always wondered why the advanced stats didn't just measure puck possession in terms of time actually having the puck instead of Fenwick and the other stuff.
One stat has to be tracked manually, the other can be calculated from what the NHL already tracks and makes available, so there's that. Although when some people call corsi, fenwick a "proxy for possession" I think they're mostly trying to explain them in an approachable way to popularize them. Showcasing which players possess the puck isn't really the point of those stats.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
One stat has to be tracked manually, the other can be calculated from what the NHL already tracks and makes available, so there's that. Although when some people call corsi, fenwick a "proxy for possession" I think they're mostly trying to explain them in an approachable way to popularize them. Showcasing which players possess the puck isn't really the point of those stats.

I just always hear things like, "they're not a good puck possession team, look at their Corsi" or similar things. If it's not actually indicating possession, why reference it? All it shows is which team is willing to shoot more. The general idea is that a team who shoots more possesses the puck more, but that's not completely accurate. I'd love more time with possession statistics, though it's hard for anyone to do from home like you mentioned. It'd require the NHL to probably track that.

Reactions: FourRings

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This team has a guy in the Barzilla who literally is worth paying to see. If I'm Malkin I tell Lou to knock the "Team only, no individuals will be acknowledged" bullshit out and market the hell out of this kid. This kid can put asses in seats.

Reactions: SI90 and WangMustGo

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
This team has a guy in the Barzilla who literally is worth paying to see. If I'm Malkin I tell Lou to knock the "Team only, no individuals will be acknowledged" bull**** out and market the hell out of this kid. This kid can put asses in seats.

Barzy is worth the price of admission but did the Islanders not market the hell out of 91? I want Barzy to value winning first and becoming a star second. Take care of the first and the second is a given. It's not always healthy for the identity of the team to be one player. Being on the ice for 4 even strength goals against Nashville cannot happen again this Saturday for line 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: YearlyLottery

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Did the Islanders not market the hell out of 91? I want Barzy to value winning first and becoming a star second. Take care of the first and the second is a given. Being on the ice for 4 even strength goals against Nashville cannot happen again this Saturday for line 1.
A- They absolutely did not. He was a player worth paying to see, was barely marketed, played in virtual anonymity and the result was thousands of empty seats at every game. Why make that same mistake twice?
B- Like those 4 goals were his fault. You citing that is a perfect example of why +/- is such a worthless stat. For example that first goal was created by a really stupid pinch by Pelech and finished with a totally filthy move on Pulock that probably would've torched just about any defender in the league. Another was on a terrible play by Boychuck. The 4th was Hickey making a terrible play and getting toasted. How is any of that on Barzal?

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
A- They absolutely did not. He was a player worth paying to see, was barely marketed, played in virtual anonymity and the result was thousands of empty seats at every game. Why make that same mistake twice?
B- Like those 4 goals were his fault. You citing that is a perfect example of why +/- is such a worthless stat. For example that first goal was created by a really stupid pinch by Pelech and finished with a totally filthy move on Pulock that probably would've torched just about any defender in the league. Another was on a terrible play by Boychuck. The 4th was Hickey making a terrible play and getting toasted. How is any of that on Barzal?

We can simply agree to disagree about the marketing of 91. No need to debate that issue. I am also in agreement that the +/- is a flawed but not a completely worthless stat. Last year 11 shorthanded goals killed +/- numbers for the 1st PP unit. I would say the issue right now is 5v5 scoring as both lines 1 & 2 have come up empty so far. So if your not scoring, don't get scored on.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Barzy is worth the price of admission but did the Islanders not market the hell out of 91? I want Barzy to value winning first and becoming a star second. Take care of the first and the second is a given. It's not always healthy for the identity of the team to be one player. Being on the ice for 4 even strength goals against Nashville cannot happen again this Saturday for line 1.
Franchise malpractice by Charles Wang.

This franchise is still paying for the sins of the previous owner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad