Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Just noticed Ledecky is sitting there. That’s the first sighting of him in ages

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Came across this on LHH, the stat geeks are going to love this one.

Mathew Barzal: The Center Behind John Tavares

Great stuff. I didn’t need stats to substantiate what I saw, but I will say that over the course of the year I routinely saw teams put their D1s against Barz and NOT JT. Even better, he still produced.

You should post this in every Barzal thread in the general boards that try to undermine his performance. If you need added incentive, plenty of Leaf fans you can troll. ;)

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Who in the **** voted Barzy 3rd?
Yanni Gourde had one 1st place vote and Sergachev had two 2nd place votes. So I'm thinking some TBL writer voted Gourde #1 and Sergachev #2 and gave Barzel the 3rd vote.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
A better comparison would be Barzal’s stats before Eberle’s comment and after Eberle’s comment.
I think Ebs is just try to parlay his own experience to Barzy. Ebs used to hold on the puck a lot in his younger days with the Oilers and he got checked and hit. He knows that after a while other teams learns your puck handling tendencies and start to wait for the right moment to steal the pucks from you. Even JT has learned that too. He also used to hang on the pucks longer but now he would try to move them a bit faster to avoid getting checked. The reason is that there are so many good checkers in NHL who can steal pucks from you once you stop skating and in fact some of them get to keep their jobs in the NHL because they are exceptionally good at doing exactly that. Holding the pucks too long is especially dangerous when you do it near your own blue line. One successful steal will send a fast moving opposing players on a partial breakaway the other way. Marner did that quite a bit last year too but soon he learns that this is not junior and he needs to be more careful. Thus he does not do that as much now. I think it is the same way with Johnny Hockey from Calgary as well.

Barzy is extremely talented but he can still learn from others who knows because they have been there.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I think Ebs is just try to parlay his own experience to Barzy. Ebs used to hold on the puck a lot in his younger days with the Oilers and he got checked and hit. He knows that after a while other teams learns your puck handling tendencies and start to wait for the right moment to steal the pucks from you. Even JT has learned that too. He also used to hang on the pucks longer but now he would try to move them a bit faster to avoid getting checked. The reason is that there are so many good checkers in NHL who can steal pucks from you once you stop skating and in fact some of them get to keep their jobs in the NHL because they are exceptionally good at doing exactly that. Holding the pucks too long is especially dangerous when you do it near your own blue line. One successful steal will send a fast moving opposing players on a partial breakaway the other way. Marner did that quite a bit last year too but soon he learns that this is not junior and he needs to be more careful. Thus he does not do that as much now. I think it is the same way with Johnny Hockey from Calgary as well.

Barzy is extremely talented but he can still learn from others who knows because they have been there.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but that's just a little insider joke someone *cough* can't let go. Eberle made that comment and after that Barzal had like a three or four games where he didn't seem like his usual self, so we had a poster here screaming doom and gloom and how Eberle ruined Barzal and how Mat will never be the same player again. So everytime you see something along the lines of "Eberle ruined everything", it's a joke ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad