Speculation: Mathew Barzal Contract Discussion

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
For this to happen Trotz cannot keep Barzal and Bailey together on the same PP unit. Neither one will take a shot.

Unfortunately there are no good options for that spot and it's why it has become a revolving door. That spot is going to be filled with a one dimensional player with the current roster and it isn't going to work no matter who goes there, at least in the current (is it still current?) setup that they implement.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Unfortunately there are no good options for that spot and it's why it has become a revolving door. That spot is going to be filled with a one dimensional player with the current roster and it isn't going to work no matter who goes there, at least in the current (is it still current?) setup that they implement.
Which is why my hope is a roster spot goes to Wahlstrom or Bellows instead of Andrew Ladd, Leo, or Tom Kuhnhackl. Trotz would have to trust Wahl-E or Bellows enough to let them use their shots on the power play (both of them have quick releases and accurate shots) and deal with their inexperience while they mature.

Otherwise our power play will remain a black hole the rest of the way.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Which is why my hope is a roster spot goes to Wahlstrom or Bellows instead of Andrew Ladd, Leo, or Tom Kuhnhackl. Trotz would have to trust Wahl-E or Bellows enough to let them use their shots on the power play (both of them have quick releases and accurate shots) and deal with their inexperience while they mature.

It was refreshing to see how willing Bellows was to shoot the puck when he had the shot. If he makes the squad I think it would mean we will see him on the power play, as he will immediately have one of the best shots on the team

Reactions: buud

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

It's not all about being able to shoot though, it's about also being able to handle and distribute the puck. I hope one of the kids can do that.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's not all about being able to shoot though, it's about also being able to handle and distribute the puck. I hope one of the kids can do that.
Wahlstrom was setting up Bellows nicely on a lot of his PPGs at Bridgeport.

But in our case I think it really is about shooting the puck, especially on PP1. When Bailey and Barzal are on the same unit we end up with 2 guys who are mainly going to keep curling around, trying to get the defense to move one way so they can create a shot against the grain. It didn’t work too often.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
It was refreshing to see how willing Bellows was to shoot the puck when he had the shot. If he makes the squad I think it would mean we will see him on the power play, as he will immediately have one of the best shots on the team

Fixed your typo...

Reactions: impaaaaaact

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I wouldn't hold my breath on either Bellows or Wahlstrom making the playoff roster. Coaching staff and management is keen on "experience," even if there's less talent. So Ladd and Kuhnhackl will be there over Bellows and Wahlstrom.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
lol thought this was a Barzal thread, seeing lots of Wahlstrom and Bellows, talk, did I make a wrong turn?

call me crazy but given the cap situation, the whole league, and the fact that I still feel Barzal, while he has incredible talent, still has a way to go and can be frustrating (apparently to BT as well, and by frustrating I am talking about things like losing composure at the wrong time to take stupid penalties, overstaying shifts, holding the puck, tryin to do too much in general, all of which will work themselves out eventually), I am still thinking Barzal's AAV will be $7M or less on a deal that will end before he is a UFA. A 2 to 3 year deal and then he will get a big payday with term before he is a UFA.. , I would be shocked if his deal now is over $8M AAV (but I have been wrong before)

Oh and since we are off topic my other comment is that the NHL is a business, I love Lee but with that contract they should expose him to the expansion draft next year, captain or not. (and he might be safe if they did)

Reactions: Kasparaitis

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
lol thought this was a Barzal thread, seeing lots of Wahlstrom and Bellows, talk, did I make a wrong turn?

call me crazy but given the cap situation, the whole league, and the fact that I still feel Barzal, while he has incredible talent, still has a way to go and can be frustrating (apparently to BT as well, and by frustrating I am talking about things like losing composure at the wrong time to take stupid penalties, overstaying shifts, holding the puck, tryin to do too much in general, all of which will work themselves out eventually), I am still thinking Barzal's AAV will be $7M or less on a deal that will end before he is a UFA. A 2 to 3 year deal and then he will get a big payday with term before he is a UFA.. , I would be shocked if his deal now is over $8M AAV (but I have been wrong before)

Oh and since we are off topic my other comment is that the NHL is a business, I love Lee but with that contract they should expose him to the expansion draft next year, captain or not. (and he might be safe if they did)

lol sorry - too many posts, mixing up my threads!

Reactions: 19 in a row

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Wahlstrom has a laser. Might be better than Bellows shot.
Slower release and his slapper doesn't have the same power to it. It'll be clear to everyone once you see both on the same NHL ice game in and game out.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I don't see how you pay Barzal less then you're paying Lee. Actually I can't believe what the Isles are paying Lee.
The Lee contract is going to kill us over time.

yeah, it looked bad when you thought the cap was going up... but with it stagnant for a few years it's going to look worse and worse

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
NHL Power Rankings: Teams hit hardest by flat $81.5M salary cap

Ouch, we made the top 5 somewhere. At least we aren't the Lightning or Blues. Feel like those two teams are going to be giving away some serious talent to teams with lots of cap space.

I didn't need a Yahoo article to tell me this. It was obvious a long time ago...Way before we gave up multiple good assets to add another bottom-6 forward taking up 5M of the cap.

This roster is seriously so poorly constructed (not blaming Lou for that), but if we didn't have the best coaching staff in the league it would be a trainwreck around here.

In some ways the only way out is to wait a few seasons for the bad contracts to expire, but in the meantime the one things you cannot do is trade draft picks for anything but top line players (that I am blaming Lou for).

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I didn't need a Yahoo article to tell me this. It was obvious a long time ago...Way before we gave up multiple good assets to add another bottom-6 forward taking up 5M of the cap.

This roster is seriously so poorly constructed (not blaming Lou for that), but if we didn't have the best coaching staff in the league it would be a trainwreck around here.

In some ways the only way out is to wait a few seasons for the bad contracts to expire, but in the meantime the one things you cannot do is trade draft picks for anything but top line players (that I am blaming Lou for).

Back in mid-season form, I see.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I guess this is going to be one of the offseason questions going into the off season. I think Mathew can be better still. But he has the right stuff, he showed it these playoffs. Also, I like a player that really cares. You can tell Barzal cares.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I literally woke up today thinking that what might happen is that instead of Barzal getting maximum 8 year deal, that he gets a bridge deal like Laine did last year. You could still make Barzal the highest paid player on the team (Lee is currently at 7M/year), but you wouldn't need to go near that 9-10M number he's probably looking for on a long-term deal. That additional 2-3M in savings is really significant and gives Lou flexibility in how he deals with Barzal.

Then when the 2-3 year bridge deal is up he will still be an RFA and Lou/whoever the GM is can resign him to an 8-year deal when we aren't in cap hell.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I literally woke up today thinking that what might happen is that instead of Barzal getting maximum 8 year deal, that he gets a bridge deal like Laine did last year. You could still make Barzal the highest paid player on the team (Lee is currently at 7M/year), but you wouldn't need to go near that 9-10M number he's probably looking for on a long-term deal. That additional 2-3M in savings is really significant and gives Lou flexibility in how he deals with Barzal.

Then when the 2-3 year bridge deal is up he will still be an RFA and Lou/whoever the GM is can resign him to an 8-year deal when we aren't in cap hell.

I think there's really no chance he's locked up long term with the flat cap. It's in everyone's interest for him to take a bridge deal.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Point contract is something I would look as a comparable. I agree, a bridge is the best option for both Mathew and the Isles. In the range of 6.75 x 3.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
The Point contract is something I would look as a comparable. I agree, a bridge is the best option for both Mathew and the Isles. In the range of 6.75 x 3.
I concur this and it probably is good for Barzal too. He will be in his prime in 2 years and probably by then his value will grow much more and Isls will have more cap room to resign him for a much bigger long term contract. This will also allow Isles to lock up Pulock long term this summer on a reasonable contract. Lou has to sell hard on the recent team's success and chemistry and help to see things long term rather than short term. Hopefully, no team will come up with a ridiculous offer sheet to throw out this option and influence Barzal's decision.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Kasparaitis

Jan 25, 2017

I'm on board with exposing Lee and trading Barzal (for an appropriate return, obviously). I'm not convinced Barzal will work out his issues. They have been issues for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad