Matheson/Pettersson Incident | Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Let's hope that next time it's not Marner or Nylander, wouldn't want Toronto's fans all changing their minds about this because it's one of their players getting injured.

The irony is that big Auston Matthews was concussed. Were these TO "old school" fans blaming the victim back then?

Oh, he's big but can't handle himself.

I grew up listening to idiots blaming Mario Lemieux for being constantly hooked and held and speared. As if his injuries were due to his own negligence.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You dont understand the play. Matheson could have done that to Byfuglien if he wanted. Gaining weight does nothing. Gaining weight MIGHT allow him to not be injured on the play, but thats about it.

A heavier player still goes down.. but they don't get nearly as elevated or rotated with the same effort from Matheson, they just go down on their ass. If they they don't get as elated/rotated and go down on their ass/lower back instead of shoulders/upper back they don't get hurt, this thread doesn't exist, Matheson doesn't get suspended.
Same play different result.

The result was what it was though so I get the suspension, though disagree with it ( I hate suspending results rather than acts) The being said the only thing that makes this at all questionable was that brief pause between the pin and the shove. If it's one fluid motion to a 200 lb player it's just a nice check rather than an extra shot to a vulnerable player.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
I like the new NHL that's based on speed and skill too, but it's still a contact sport and players need to be physically strong enough to absorb body checks. There are 16 year old kids in the CHL that are skilled enough to play in the NHL, but would get manhandled if they ever did. There is still a certain baseline of physical aptitude you need to be at to play in the NHL.

That push down afterwards was a roughing call at best and it looked a lot worse than it actually was since Pettersson was in mid air and gravity was taking him down either way.
Pettersson has absorbed every hit so far, it's stupidity like this that you can't make an allowance for. If you say it looked worse than it actually is, what sort of injury would even the scales? Pettersson has a concussion, is that not enough for you? :facepalm:

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
What did Barkov do you deserve a concussion again? Or are you just one of those people that like to see innocent people hurt as some form of retribution?
It's a stupid comment, ignore it.

Looked like a physically weak player getting crushed by a routine hit. watched it a bunch of times and I'm not seeing the problem. unfortunate injury, but not a suspension-worthy play.
:facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The result was what it was though so I get the suspension, though disagree with it ( I hate suspending results rather than acts) The being said the only thing that makes this at all questionable was that brief pause between the pin and the shove. If it's one fluid motion to a 200 lb player it's just a nice check rather than an extra shot to a vulnerable player.
I can't completely disagree, because it was the pause between that Matheson put Pettersson in an even more vulnerable position as he rotating him more horizontal, allowed the toss down to be onto his head, not his ass.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
A heavier player still goes down.. but they don't get nearly as elevated or rotated with the same effort from Matheson, they just go down on their ass. If they they don't get as elated/rotated and go down on their ass/lower back instead of shoulders/upper back they don't get hurt, this thread doesn't exist, Matheson doesn't get suspended.
Same play different result.

So what, Elias needs to gain 40 pounds to play in the NHL? I guarantee you Matheson can do that to a heavier unsuspecting player. He targeted Pettersson the entire play as you saw it. He wanted to hurt him for what he did to him. Its the intent thats more than anything. If Byfuglien targeted Marner because Marner disrespected his family (for this hypothetical), and Byfuglien goes up to him against the boards, you are telling me that he is allowed to do this to him with as much force as he possibly has in his human body and that this would be allowed? Marner would be done for months.

Checking is to strip players of the puck (checking away from the play is illegal). It is NOT to injure a player.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
What a joke, nobody would care if it was some 4th line plug that got hit, but because it's Vancouver's golden boy that got hurt the other player has to get suspended.

Tell that toothpick Pettersson to get stronger so he doesn't go flying from normal bodychecks and this wouldn't happen.

Pettersson is skilled enough to play in this league, but he isn't physically developed enough to and playing him in the NHL at this stage is just irresponsible by the Canucks.

I'm not a Vancouver fan (Leafs fan) and that was clearly intent to injure.
I honestly can't understand how others don't see that.
If Marner was slammed to the ice like that, I and all Leafs fans would be livid.
In fact fans of any team that has a player slammed to the ice in the same manner would be livid.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Figured he’d get a game purely on the appearence of intent.

I’m okay if this trend of doubling what players normal would of gotten continues.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Matheson was burned and went WWE. That was the gist of it. How is a can opener and subsequent body slam legal in hockey? And the puck wasn't around either.

You guys defending or excusing Matheson, or blaming the victim are on the level of old schoolers who defended:

Bobby Clarke's lumberjack on Kharlamov's ankles
Dale Hunter's mugging of Turgeon

Like Matheson, these guys were tired of being lit up. Thus they resorted to illegal moves.

Reactions: tyhee

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Let's hope that next time it's not Marner or Nylander, wouldn't want Toronto's fans all changing their minds about this because it's one of their players getting injured.
I'm good with the suspension. No need to paint an entire fanbase with the same brush because of one person. Chill out.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I'm interested to see how the league goes forward with this sort of play because it is not the first time we've seen it. This is the first time i recall it being suspended.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
What a ****ing joke

If Pettersson was a 4th liner
If Pettersson was 6’+ and/or 200lbs+

there wouldn't be a suspension
Even if that were true... why does it matter?

Here's another IF for you. If Matheson didn't slam Pettersson's head into the ice, there would be no suspension.

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Worse plays have happened with no suspension but it Comes down to intent for me. Matheson went out of his way to hurt Pettersson. He was embarrassed and then took it too far.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
It is not the 12 I wanted, better than nothing tho. Here is hoping Pettersson is okay, after getting dumped on his head.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
What a ****ing joke

If Pettersson was a 4th liner
If Pettersson was 6’+ and/or 200lbs+

there wouldn't be a suspension

Its the INTENT to injure that hes getting suspended for. If i point a gun replica at you i will still be jailed and fined even if i did not shoot you. Your hypothetical isnt reality, so its irrelevant. If you were black , and born in the 1800s your life would be different. Whats that got to do with reality?

Feb 24, 2017
I'm interested to see how the league goes forward with this sort of play because it is not the first time we've seen it. This is the first time i recall it being suspended.
Do you have any examples in mind where player A puts player B into a vulnerable position and then forcefully drives him into the ice?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
So what, Elias needs to gain 40 pounds to play in the NHL? I guarantee you Matheson can do that to a heavier unsuspecting player. He targeted Pettersson the entire play as you saw it. He wanted to hurt him for what he did to him. Its the intent thats more than anything. If Byfuglien targeted Marner because Marner disrespected his family (for this hypothetical), and Byfuglien goes up to him against the boards, you are telling me that he is allowed to do this to him with as much force as he possibly has in his human body and that this would be allowed? Marner would be done for months.

Checking is to strip players of the puck (checking away from the play is illegal). It is NOT to injure a player.

No. I'm saying the result of that play would have been different to a stronger/heavier player, and there likely would have been no injury and no suspension. But it didn't, there was and there was. Sometimes shit happens. Sometimes in contact sports people get frustrated and hit with extra "umph". One thing you learn on the ice is that there's a difference between angry flare up hitting to hurt/ make a point, and sociopathic hitting to injure. This was the former that had an unfortunate result, (IMO largely because of Petterson's weight). The result was what it was, and Matheson has been punished for it.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
What a joke. The Flyers gave Formenton a concussion with a dirty dirty crosscheck, and there was no suspension.

This is 100% because of Canucks fans outrage and Pettersson's pedigree as a high pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad