Matheson/Pettersson Incident | Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Then you missed that concussions are very common in shl as well. It is a widespread problem.

Btw SEL stopped existing 5 years ago
Changed its name. Didnt stop existing. Still commonly referred to as SEL.

I dont care if concussions are still a problem there. That's irrelevant.

I'm saying there is not as much hitting. And it's not as hard hitting.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Was a clean hit, unnecessary roughing with the throw down but that’s it. Unfortunate that EP got a concussion but don’t think Matheson is a dirty player. However hit was premeditated and resulted in injury, 2 games is a good call by DoPS. Hope EP has a fast recovery!

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Changed its name. Didnt stop existing. Still commonly referred to as SEL.

I dont care if concussions are still a problem there. That's irrelevant.

I'm saying there is not as much hitting. And it's not as hard hitting.
You have probably never seen a shl game other then youtube clips.

Statement from brynas

The increased number of concussions more injury among players is a major problem for Swedish ice hockey. More players suffer from brain shakes, many get permanent but, in the worst case, are forced to end up with ice hockey.
Nu får det vara nog - Hjärna en tackling men inte mot huvudet!

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Stop feeding the dirte troll

Yeah seriously, this guy has 3,616 unintelligent posts and people still feed him

2 games is fair. I've watched PK Subban do this move a few times and each time it has looked really dangerous. The check he finished originally was a good hit, best thing for the league to do is try and squash unecessary roughness like this with a small suspension

Hope Petey comes back 100%. Still pissed at the utter lack of pushback

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I'm pretty sure you've never seen an SHL game at all.
Nice comeback, me living in sweden has never seen a shl game. You got me.

Since you are so knowledgble about SHL, you should know the name of the swedish head ref. Lets hear it.

Reactions: easton117

VanCity Millionaires

Oct 4, 2005
Vancouver
He seemed to do okay.

He could last more than 5 games without getting concussed.
If anyone did this to Gretzky when he played as a youngster on the Oilers, the offender would have had to wipe his face off the ice with a shovel.

It so clearly has nothing to do with Petterson's frame or size, and everything to do with an embarrassed defender losing his temper and body slamming a defenseless player to the ice.

If Chara did this to a player who was 195 lbs, just because he's bigger and stronger it still would not make it right.

Reactions: sexydonut

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

Since you are so knowledgble about SHL, you should know the name of the swedish head ref. Lets hear it.
I don't care.

I don't need to know that to see them and know they don't hit as much.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013

His posts are beyond ignorant and quite frankly I don’t see why anyone responds to them . . Just let him keep digging the hole if he wants. . He seems intent on burying himself so just let him

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
5,600+ forum posts doesn't make you any more qualified than the other guy with 57 career forum posts. Until you become one that the masses listen to you are just spewing hot air like most of the people in this thread. I will take a former NHL'er viewpoint on a situation before i take you or your made up NHL and college buddies flawed responses. Thanks for coming out!
:laugh:

LOL, yes, because I really have a lot to gain by "making up" stories about all my "buddies" in the NHL. I'm friggin' Canadian, man.... I literally went to school with three NHLers and played junior hockey with a few more. Hell, Daniel Sedin lives down the block from me. Coming across a few NHLers in your lifetime is not something to brag about... unless you're 8 years old.

My point is that I've come a across quite a few professional hockey players in my life and while some of them are highly intelligent, college-educated individuals, others are pretty far from that. Why should I be forced to blindly value their opinion just because they played hockey professionally? And what even makes Jeff O'Neil's thoughts on player safety and concussions more relevant than the next guy? Is he employed by the NHL Department of Player Safety? Is he a doctor? No, then why the hell should I just blindly follow his opinion?

And how can you not see the complete lack of logic in the comments you just made? What about the coaches, players and GMs who have voiced their opinion on this matter and directly oppose the views of someone like Jeff O'Neil? Should I just ignore their opinion because Jeff O'Neil played in the NHL? Oh, wait... they also played/coached/GMed in the same league... what are we to do now?

You need to consider the source and think for yourself, not just blindly follow someone because they "played in the NHL". And I'm pretty that, if you disagreed with O'Neil's comments, you wouldn't be going on about his NHL "experience" and "pedigree". It's just convenient for you to prop his hockey knowledge up on a pedestal because it serves your agenda.

Last edited:

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
I think hockey is becoming too soft. Hate to see injuries happen but this is quite normal play. If Pettersson was ok after that hit there would have been no suspension.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
I think hockey is becoming too soft. Hate to see injuries happen but this is quite normal play. If Pettersson was ok after that hit there would have been no suspension.
First of all, I'm blocking Dirte, he just doesn't seem to want to have a real conversation. He picks apart posts when he can't make his point, and then directs the conversation into his idea only. I think any reasonable fan should do the same.

I do think hockey is becoming quiet soft, but I agree, if Pettersson got up and walked away there would be no one talking about this. I'm not going to break down the play, or discuss his weight or size, as I don't think it has a lot to do with it, but I don't think the play was normal. We do see similar hits like this all the time, what we don't see is the choke slam/spiking of a player like that.
Again, I don't care how Pettersson got into that situation, but he was slammed to the ice, and the league HAS TO protect against head injuries, they need to do it to avoid the inevitable lawsuits that are going to spring up in the next 2 decades and destroy the foundation of nearly all contact sports.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Why does someone have to be injured on a play for it to be against the rules or suspension-worthy? The big issue with the NHL is that they are too reactive and always wait until someone gets hurt before they deal with an issue. Just because the play has happened before or happens often enough that you would call it “normal”, doesn’t mean the player shouldn’t be reprimanded. Playing the game tough is one thing, bodyslamming someone into the ice is another.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Why does someone have to be injured on a play for it to be against the rules or suspension-worthy? The big issue with the NHL is that they are too reactive and always wait until someone gets hurt before they deal with an issue. Just because the play has happened before or happens often enough that you would call it “normal”, doesn’t mean the player shouldn’t be reprimanded. Playing the game tough is one thing, bodyslamming someone into the ice is another.
This is my problem with league discipline. Suspensions are being based more on injury than the play itself. If Peterson doesnt get injured I highly doubt there is a suspension.

Reactions: RainingRats

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Matheson gave nice interview today regarding this play. I mean yeah, believe it or not if it was intentional, but I like what he said.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Was a clean hit, unnecessary roughing with the throw down but that’s it. Unfortunate that EP got a concussion but don’t think Matheson is a dirty player. However hit was premeditated and resulted in injury, 2 games is a good call by DoPS. Hope EP has a fast recovery!
Dude could have just let go of him and skated away.... instead he choose to slam him down. Thats the difference between and clean and dirty player. He had options and he choose the dirty option. You can play make believe all you want but thats all it is.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Matheson gave nice interview today regarding this play. I mean yeah, believe it or not if it was intentional, but I like what he said.

Easy to make apologies AFTER the WWE impersonation.

See if this pylon is still in the NHL when the rematch occurs in January. Hope he's ready for the lynch mob.

It'll be like Brandon Manning facing the Oilers.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Easy to make apologies AFTER the WWE impersonation.

See if this pylon is still in the NHL when the rematch occurs in January. Hope he's ready for the lynch mob.

It'll be like Brandon Manning facing the Oilers.
How dare you do something dirty to my team. Can’t wait until my team does something dirty to you!!!!!

Translation of your post

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Since
How dare you do something dirty to my team. Can’t wait until my team does something dirty to you!!!!!

Translation of your post

Mike "the Pylon" Matheson got 2 games. A net benefit for the Panthers becaue his presence benefits the opposing teams' offence.

Since the NHL DOPS obviously does not care about actual player safety, prison/mafia justice will have to be done. If the Canucks don't take matters into their own hands, every cheap shot artist from Rat Boy Marchand to Spearin' Dustin Brown will have a green light to WWE Canucks players.

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
Mathesons instagram he posted a pic of his dog with a panthers shirt on.it was a couple days ago

If your this pissed off give your head a shake

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Yeah seriously, this guy has 3,616 unintelligent posts and people still feed him

2 games is fair. I've watched PK Subban do this move a few times and each time it has looked really dangerous. The check he finished originally was a good hit, best thing for the league to do is try and squash unecessary roughness like this with a small suspension

Hope Petey comes back 100%. Still pissed at the utter lack of pushback
Agree
Remove any hitting near the boards, remove any hitting on the ice, remove any roughness at all and that should just about cover it. I feel sorry for the kid cause he is playing vs men and that sometimes is not fair.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

This is the sort of moves that were common back in the day and there was no concussions(or were not threatedd as such). But perhaps guys are just not build for these sort of battles nowadays. Pettersson looked like a rag doll there. Too thin and soft.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Mike Matheson is a good guy.

He's owning the suspension even though no one else in the history of the league has been suspended for a play like this that isn't exactly uncommon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad