Matheson/Pettersson Incident | Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
my god.

1. Prospect gets spoken of as talented, but may have issues in the NHL.

2. Plays 5 games, gets concussed.

3. Fans of prospect argue there is no problem with his ability to handle NHL game.

Reactions: I am not exposed

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Gets thrown around? He's been perfectly fine playing hockey and taking hockey hits. Just because in North America there's this Neanderthal attitude towards skilled players doesn't mean he should play in Europe.
It's a tougher hitting game, no doubt.

It remains to be seen if he can handle it.

Not looking good though.

It's not like the NHL is going to soften up for him.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
I don't care what league he plays in. We're fine either way.
Let's hope so, wouldn't want to see any young skilled player get injured because of moronic behaviour by a plug, no matter what team they play for.

IMO the league needs a complete overhaul attitude wise but there are too many stuck in the past with their moronic, meathead attitudes to player injury.

Reactions: daddyohsix

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
LOL. Big Auston Matthews was confussed. Too weak for the league. Not suited for the rugged Canadian game. Should play in local Arizona house league with dentists and accountants.

And what is it with bandwagon Leafs fans suddenly waxing poetic over goon hockey? The slap shot Era (and Harold Ballard) weren't golden years for the Maple Leafs.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Let's hope so, wouldn't want to see any young skilled player get injured because of moronic behaviour by a plug, no matter what team they play for.

IMO the league needs a complete overhaul attitude wise but there are too many stuck in the past with their moronic, meathead attitudes to player injury.

This particular instance was moronic (although, as far as nasty plays go, it wasn't THAT bad).

But it still begs the question of whether or not he can handle the NHL. It's just a harder hitting game than the SEL.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
LOL. Big Auston Matthews was confussed. Too weak for the league. Not suited for the rugged Canadian game. Should play in local Arizona house league with dentists and accountants.

And what is it with bandwagon Leafs fans suddenly waxing poetic over goon hockey? The slap shot Era (and Harold Ballard) weren't golden years for the Maple Leafs.
Huh?

People take runs at Matthews all the time. He tosses them aside. LIke Doughty last night.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
He was still concussed.

Joe Dirt has this genius idea of mass being able to protect against brain injury. Doesn't work that way. Otherwise jockeys would develop CTE at higher rates than NFL players and hockey goons.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
He was still concussed.

Joe Dirt has this genius idea of mass being able to protect against brain injury. Doesn't work that way. Otherwise jockeys would develop CTE at higher rates than NFL players and hockey goons.

Mass helps making it harder from being tossed around, for sure. and you're less likely to get concussed if you're not getting picked up and thrown.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
The Maple Leafs really have to put in an IQ test for prospective new fans.

Hockey =/= MMA or wrestling

There are no weight classes and it's rapidly trending towards speed. More Gaudreau and less Derian Hatcher.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The Maple Leafs really have to put in an IQ test for prospective new fans.

Hockey =/= MMA or wrestling

There are no weight classes and it's rapidly trending towards speed. More Gaudreau and less Derian Hatcher.
I've never said how I think things SHOULD be. Rather, it is what it is. It's still a rough game.

It seems to me if you think I've said otherwise, you probably wouldn't pass that test you speak of.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Austin Matthews--con cussed

Thus you have no point. Could list off a whole bunch of enforcers with CTE too.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
5GP, 8 points, 1 concussion.

to be exact.

I believe it’s the first concussion of his career. Did he not play in contact leagues before this? The narrative that a 176 lb man is too small to stay in an NHL lineup is absurd.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I believe it’s the first concussion of his career. Did he not play in contact leagues before this? The narrative that a 176 lb man is too small to stay in an NHL lineup is absurd.

He's played in some light contact leagues, yes.

Have you ever watched a KHL, SEL, or similar game? do you not SEE a difference.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The SHL is a “light contact” league? Players don’t get concussed over there?
yes, it's a light contat league. without a doubt. It's the hardest hitting league in Europe, but still light contact in comparison to the NHL.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
yes, it's a light contat league. without a doubt. It's the hardest hitting league in Europe, but still light contact in comparison to the NHL.

Citation needed.

I'll also need a citation showing the relationship between weight and concussion frequency in the NHL, because I'm not really buying 176-pound Pettersson being at extreme elevated risk of concussion relative to someone who weighs 190 pounds, to the extent that he shouldn't even be in the league.

Your posts seem a lot more like confirmation bias than careful analysis. Were you involved in the Marner vs. Pettersson thread or something?

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Citation needed.

I'll also need a citation showing the relationship between weight and concussion frequency in the NHL, because I'm not really buying 176-pound Pettersson being at extreme elevated risk of concussion relative to someone who weighs 190 pounds, to the extent that he shouldn't even be in the league.

Your posts seem a lot more like confirmation bias than careful analysis. Were you involved in the Marner vs. Pettersson thread or something?

No citations needed when he's pulling the info he's posting out of his ***. :laugh: Ignorance is bliss.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The guy just doesn't know hockey. He mistakes the SEL with some beer league.
My goodness.

I've never once said anything about the skill level.

It's not nearly as hard a hitting game. They do not play hockey in the same way as the NHL. It's a very different game.

Is that difficult to understand?

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
He's played in some light contact leagues, yes.

Have you ever watched a KHL, SEL, or similar game? do you not SEE a difference.

You probably never have either. It's easy to just say that you have, but why would you ever be watching European games really? It's especially suspicious that you don't even know the name of the league. According to a 2012 - 2015 study over a third of all SHL players have suffered hockey related concussions. Hjärnskakningar – hockeyns stora problem

Just because it happened to be in the NHL for Pettersson it doesn't mean he can't handle the game. He's handled every legal hit just fine; the one that gave him a concussion was against NHL rules as evidenced by Matheson's suspension.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
You probably never have either. It's easy to just say that you have, but why would you ever be watching European games really? It's especially suspicious that you don't even know the name of the league. According to a 2012 - 2015 study over a third of all SHL players have suffered hockey related concussions. Hjärnskakningar – hockeyns stora problem

Just because it happened to be in the NHL for Pettersson it doesn't mean he can't handle the game. He's handled every legal hit just fine; the one that gave him a concussion was against NHL rules as evidenced by Matheson's suspension.
I've seen a few of them live. In various european countries actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad